Wireless Syncing

M

mkr10001

Once it's connected itself can I use it as if it was plugged in or is it only wireless to auto sync?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It automatically connects after about 10 minutes on the plug, and you can use your phone as normal except you cannot access marketplace and Zune app among other things like it's connected. You just press the cancel button on that screen and it works, though.

Otherwise basically works the same as Wireless Synching on iOS and Blackberry. Fairly transparent in the background. Set it and forget it.

I've had issues with the sync patnership breaking, though, so I don't tend to depend on it and just connect my phone to the PC once a week or so to put the newer stuff on the computer (cause if you buy music on the phone and forget to Sync it and have to factory reset, you're SoL).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Personally I find wireless sync useless. My phone goes where I go. I'm not going to leave it in the other room while I'm at my computer downloading music. I'm going to have my phone right next to me so I can quickly answer calls/texts. Maybe if my phone was docked into some sort of entertainment unit then wireless sync could be pretty useful. However, I find it more convenient and faster to just plug it into the computer.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally I find wireless sync useless. My phone goes where I go. I'm not going to leave it in the other room while I'm at my computer downloading music. I'm going to have my phone right next to me so I can quickly answer calls/texts. Maybe if my phone was docked into some sort of entertainment unit then wireless sync could be pretty useful. However, I find it more convenient and faster to just plug it into the computer.

If I'm at my downstairs neighbor's apartment my Phone has a WiFi signal. If I buy a phone and later use one of their USB chargers to charge my phone, my phone will update my computer over my WiFi connection.

If you live in a 3 story town house and your office is on the third floor but your phone chargers and television is on the first floor, your phone only needs to be plugged in to sync - otherwise you have to go up two flights of stairs to do it.

If you're on a train or in the airport and WiFi is available you can charge your phone via a charge port in a bag while you use your laptop and it will sync OTA without the added risk of you dropping it or forgetting it in a hurry.

Wireless synching is superior to USB tethering. USB tethering is for the 90s. Sorry.

The only thing that would be superior would be Synching over the internet (3G/4G) via your Winodws Live ID (like remote profiles, sorta, or iCloud stuff) which would remove the need for wires altogether.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If I'm at my downstairs neighbor's apartment my Phone has a WiFi signal. If I buy a phone and later use one of their USB chargers to charge my phone, my phone will update my computer over my WiFi connection.

I don't charge my phone at my neighbor's house. In fact, most people don't. Not only that, but if you're at your neighbor's apartment that means you're also NOT at your computer downloading media.

If you live in a 3 story town house and your office is on the third floor </snip>

Good, now go run three flights of stairs to answer a business call. Oh, and do it every time the phone makes a noise. I guarantee it's great exercise.

If you're on a train or in the airport and WiFi is available you can charge your phone via a charge port in a bag while you use your laptop and it will sync OTA without the added risk of you dropping it or forgetting it in a hurry.

If you're one of the few people that carry around charge ports then that could be useful. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them (and neither are most people).

Wireless synching is superior to USB tethering. USB tethering is for the 90s. Sorry.

Sorry for what? Giving me three TERRIBLE examples of things that you DON'T do yourself? Oh, and let's not forget... N8ter: I've had issues with the sync patnership breaking, though, so I don't tend to depend on it and just connect my phone to the PC ...you don't even depend on it because it's unreliable. And as I've said previously, wireless syncing isn't bad, it's just not good for me. Telling me about some dude's three story town house wasn't going to change that.

Next time you come rushing to the defense of something, please know what you're talking about. Sadly, judging by your post history, not knowing what you're talking about is your specialty. The problem is that you only see things through your perspective without realizing that your OPINION isn't fact. And just for the record, don't overestimate how much your opinion matters to me.

Last edited:

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It is a feature. It doesn't fit well with my routines either, so I do not use it (I only charge at night with all data incl. Wi-Fi Off).

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't charge my phone at my neighbor's house. In fact, most people don't. Not only that, but if you're at your neighbor's apartment that means you're also NOT at your computer downloading media.

Good, now go run three flights of stairs to answer a business call. Oh, and do it every time the phone makes a noise. I guarantee it's great exercise.

If you're one of the few people that carry around charge ports then that could be useful. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them (and neither are most people).

Sorry for what? Giving me three TERRIBLE examples of things that you DON'T do yourself? Oh, and let's not forget... N8ter: I've had issues with the sync patnership breaking, though, so I don't tend to depend on it and just connect my phone to the PC ...you don't even depend on it because it's unreliable. And as I've said previously, wireless syncing isn't bad, it's just not good for me. Telling me about some dude's three story town house wasn't going to change that.

Next time you come rushing to the defense of something, please know what you're talking about. Sadly, judging by your post history, not knowing what you're talking about is your specialty. The problem is that you only see things through your perspective without realizing that your OPINION isn't fact. And just for the record, don't overestimate how much your opinion matters to me.

I do use the WiFi synching in those situations.

The sync partnership breaks because of the way I use the WiFi connection in my house. That is another matter altogether and has much to do with my particular use case.

If you aren't constantly changing computers around on your network, you don't have that issue. I have 5 Desktops in here and do a lot of development. I have to make frequent changes depending on what I do.

But thanks for trying so hard.

Sorry that you feel being tethered with a wire is superior to Synching over WiFi. USB tethering is for the 90s. Sorry time to move on.

I have used it that way when visiting a neighbor downstairs. I have used it that way in an airport which is super convenient since I carried two smartphones + iTouch + notebook for over a year before getting rid of one phone. The risk of forgetting something when you have to break everything out like that is real. Both the WP7 device and iTouch WiFi sync.

There are nothing but advantages to WiFi synching. How can it be useless when it does everything USB tethering does without the need to plug it into a computer? I'm baffled by your logic.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry that you feel being tethered with a wire is superior to Synching over WiFi. USB tethering is for the 90s. Sorry time to move on.

I have used it that way when visiting a neighbor downstairs. I have used it that way in an airport which is super convenient since I carried two smartphones + iTouch + notebook for over a year before getting rid of one phone. The risk of forgetting something when you have to break everything out like that is real. Both the WP7 device and iTouch WiFi sync.

There are nothing but advantages to WiFi synching. How can it be useless when it does everything USB tethering does without the need to plug it into a computer? I'm baffled by your logic.

I'm baffled by your idiocy and inability to properly operate your own wifi network. Maybe one day I'll have a lifestyle and schedule that is exactly just like yours. Then I'll find wifi sync as useful as you do. Until that happens, do me a favor and STFU. The way you use your devices is MUCH different than the way I use mines. But like I said before, the ability to see other viewpoints is beyond you and I hate wasting time talking to ignorant, narrow-minded people.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Personally, whether one uses wireless or not I wish there was a more definitive way to enable it, as well as be alerted when its done syncing!

The way it waits until after being plugged in for 10 minutes on the charger seems odd. Also to start Zune automatically may be nifty as long as one remembers that auto sync is, well, automatic. If phone operators are like me where they don't alwaoys have the PC on when the phone is charging, but when they do having Zune pop up without some notice of "Syncing with WP7" starts me to wondering what virus program is invading my PC? Then too, sometimes I DO use the PC when the phone is getting charged (via outlet - not PC of course) and I may get automatic updates, or be downloading a program requiring a PC restart - and I cannot ever tell if the sync is done or not! :mad:

ITs the little things that make a device user friendly. I like my HTC arrive, but there are MANY MANY things that MS left out which would have made this device MUCH more user friendly! Simple alerts and user operable start/stop are just a few.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I havnt tried wifi syncing since NODO. At the time I remember finding it buggy when developing and ended up with a situation when I couldnt sync properly and had to switch back to usb. As I have usb conenctions on my desk at home & work that works best for me and if i'm streaming over wifi I want to charge it at the same time due to higher battery drain so usb is first choice.

As for the 90's comment, thats just a really naive.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm baffled by your idiocy and inability to properly operate your own wifi network. Maybe one day I'll have a lifestyle and schedule that is exactly just like yours. Then I'll find wifi sync as useful as you do. Until that happens, do me a favor and STFU. The way you use your devices is MUCH different than the way I use mines. But like I said before, the ability to see other viewpoints is beyond you and I hate wasting time talking to ignorant, narrow-minded people.

No, idiot. When the computer hooks up to another network it breaks the sync connection.

I have to reorganize my computers on the network for development reasons routinely.

I do not use Wireless in my desktop PCs. I use a wired connection and I have to switch routers at time. A router only has so many ports and I run different operating systems so it's not something that is unavoidable.

Why are you trying to hard?

The only thing that hooks up via WiFi on my network is a laptop and mobile devices, and I don't keep my media on a notebook computer. I keep it on a desktop and then it only serves as an archive.

On iOS you can force a WiFi sync whenever you want. You cannot do this on WP7. iOS also doesn't have these issues with the sync relationship dropping when I reorganize my network so the fault lies with Microsoft not me (nor does the WMC link between that same desktop and my XB360 break, only Zune has this issue). Try harder.

My wired network outperforms data transfers over WiFi. I've always used Wires for PCs - always. Me "managing my WiFi network" has nothing to do with it, Lol. The network name and password stays the same. What the **** else is there to manage? It's a Zune Software issue, not a Network Management issue.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No, idiot. When the computer hooks up to another network it breaks the sync connection.

I have to reorganize my computers on the network for development reasons routinely.

I do not use Wireless in my desktop PCs. I use a wired connection and I have to switch routers at time. A router only has so many ports and I run different operating systems so it's not something that is unavoidable.

Why are you trying to hard?

The only thing that hooks up via WiFi on my network is a laptop and mobile devices, and I don't keep my media on a notebook computer. I keep it on a desktop and then it only serves as an archive.

On iOS you can force a WiFi sync whenever you want. You cannot do this on WP7. iOS also doesn't have these issues with the sync relationship dropping when I reorganize my network so the fault lies with Microsoft not me (nor does the WMC link between that same desktop and my XB360 break, only Zune has this issue). Try harder.

My wired network outperforms data transfers over WiFi. I've always used Wires for PCs - always. Me "managing my WiFi network" has nothing to do with it, Lol. The network name and password stays the same. What the **** else is there to manage? It's a Zune Software issue, not a Network Management issue.

Oh, I'm sorry, you made the mistake of thinking that I care about your life. I don't. Go drown in your own stupidity now. Besides, shouldn't you be at your neighbor's house bumming his electricity, you tool...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Then why did you reply? Oh, just to troll. I got it.

You cannot be serious.

I don't understand why you're still replying. I've already made it clear I think little of you and your opinion. Although I do enjoy you calling me a troll. It's cute.

L

lumic

There should be a way to force a sync, much as there should be a way to force update your podcast collection. Also, a way to force WiFi to stay on while the screen is off. Keep the default behaviour simple, but give some damn options.

Perhaps I come home, set my phone on the table and open the laptop. Why must I have the phone plugged in for 10-15 minutes to begin syncing? The podcast situation is even worse, since I have no idea how often it checks.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
That's enough if you can't post in a civil manner in this thread move on to another. The BS and arguing stops here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos