Defending our Lovely platform

Mahesha999

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, I am always angry of people who say Android is best and iOS just rocks and says WP oh!! what is it?

I always feel to answer them boldly and defend my best OS WP when they say so on different forums or on fb. WP's style, design and phylosohphy is all well thought and I wanted to prove them exactly that. I prepared list of those things and links.

You may call me Windows Phone ****** or anything else, but just want the best platform to rule. If you also doubt whether WP is that great, then just read on to know how it is greatest. If you already with my opinion, please add up to the list if I missed anything.

Before that, let me highlight the only limitations that I perceive in WP:
1. WP still lacks App in comparison to Android and iOS, at least in numbers(, but has got almost all most important apps)
2. WP has not got the Bluetooth file transfer functionality - the most basic thing that any feature phones have - AND THE ONLY THING I FEEL SERIOUSLY ANOYING
3. No NFC (the use of NFC is not that prevalent and MS prmissed for its support to the future version),
4. Dual core processors (but still WP beats Dual core Androids and iOS in Smokin by WP competition and is buttery smooth)

Please add up to here also, if I missed anything.

Now here is the +ve list (some links especially top rating on various carriers are outdated since they do not show WP device top rated, but still you can find WP devices in top 5, so I did not deleted them):
=============
Summary
=============
1. Windows phone is the best operating system. (It won 5 main awads including Best OS of year 2011, see below)
2. All Windows phone 7.0 devices are updated to Windows Phone 7.5 aka Mango very smoothly, without any glitch. Not just that but people are also receiving the other small udates on routine basis. This compared to Android, we may conclude that Android updates are too slow or may be impossible. (See the links below). Also only 1% of Android phones runs ICS (last link below).
3. Number of WP 7.5 apps are increasing radically, at rate greater than Android, many Indian apps available (CNBC,)already crossed 50000 mark.
4. Lumia 800 gets great user reviews on CNET (see link) - So device manufactured is also good.

==================================
Who praised Windows Phone Mango
==================================

This time its Forbes to appreciate the Windows Phone 7.5 effort: Five Reasons Why Microsoft's Windows Phone Will Make A Big Splash In The Smartphone Market - Forbes

Windows Phone is awarded best OS of the year 2011 (even better than Android ICS): Windows Phone 7.x Bags Mobile 'Operating System Of The Year' Award | Redmond Pie

Windows Phone won three main design awards. Check out http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-wins-idea-people-s-choice-award-and-two-others

What Mobile Awards: Lumia 800 - Editors Choice - http://www.whatmobile.net/?wp-content/uploads/2011/11/?Poster-2011.jpg?9707a5

Windows Phone 7.5 - Interaction Awards Winner 2012: Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) | IxDA Interaction Awards

Nokia Lumia 800 tops KPN Netherlands Network: Alle mobiele telefoons van KPN vergelijken

Nokia Lumia 800 tops O2 Germany network above Galaxy: o2online.de - Privatkunden - "Hardware Katalog"

Nokia Lumia 800 a best seller at Orange Austria
https://www.orange.at/Content.Node/shop/

Amazon.com top rated windows phone above androids successively for 3 weeks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1625458

Nokia Lumia 900 wins awards at CES 2012
http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-900-wins-awards-ces-2012
Congratulations, Nokia, now get to work | CES 2012: Smartphones - CNET Blogs
Best phone of CES 2012: Nokia Lumia 900 | ZDNet

========
Apps
========
Windows Phone 7.5 aka Mango TellMe voice recognition: New Windows Phone Mango speech technology can't be beat | ZDNet
WP7 TellMe and the Indian accent - YouTube

AskZiggy app- Windows Phone's Siri rival off to a good start | Microsoft - CNET News

windows phone taking 14 months to reach 50k while android took 19 months: http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-marketplace-hits-50000-apps

All about WP 7.5 apps: WP7 users download 50% more apps than Android users, 40% less than iPhone users | WMPoweruser

===========
OS Updates
===========
Buy Androids that can never update. Reason - The inherent worst flaws in Android business model: The Flawed Android Update Process; Too Many Cooks | ZDNet

This is not the case with Windows Phone 7, since it was the case with Windows Mobile 6.5 and earlier and Microsoft learnt from that. If cant trust me read what Microsoft corporate vice president Joe Belfiore said: The truth about Windows Phone 7, software updates, and carriers’ ability to block those updates | Windows Phone Secrets

To get more enlighten about the update mess in different Mobile platforms here are few links:
Cutting through the FUD about Windows Phone updates | ZDNet
Microsoft is in the driver's seat for Windows Phone updates | ZDNet
Will the new Android consortium fix the update fiasco? | ZDNet

The result of fuzzy updates on Android platform: the fact that there are few phones that run latest version, since many people adapted to Android quickly and bought the phones with earlier versions installed on them, which never updated to the latest one. Survey: Android Ice Cream Sandwich Running On Less Than 1% of Total Devices

No real surprise, Samsung not upgrading Galaxy S to Ice Cream Sandwich | ZDNet

==============================
Flagship Handsets
HTC Titan (Review: HTC Titan Review - Watch CNET's Video Review)
Samsung Focus S (Review: Samsung Focus S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review)
Nokia Lumia 800 (Review: Nokia Lumia 800 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review) (User Review: Nokia Lumia 800 User Reviews (black, unlocked) - Smartphones - CNET Reviews)

Other phones
Nokia Lumia 710 (Review:Nokia Lumia 710 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review)
HTC Radar (Review: HTC Radar 4G Review - Watch CNET's Video Review)

==========================================
Video
==========================================
Smoked by WP challenge
Great Video: $100 Challenge Day 1 Recap: Windows Phone live from CES 2012 - YouTube
Final tally on the Smoked by a Windows Phone challenge: http://www.windowscentral.com/final-tally-smoked-windows-phone-challenge

Control missiles with WP: Controlling a Missile Launcher via a Windows Phone 7 device - YouTube

So defend the platform against bad reviews and from those that do not know much about the platform. Copy and Paste this. Leave them smokin.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The only time people criticise my Titan is when they bring up legitimate problems (missing apps that are available on iOS etc). Most of my friends say its the prettiest UI they've seen and if all the local apps were available they could see themselves switching

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Nice compilation. I haven't heard much criticism from folks I've shown my phones to. Most of the reluctance is in buying a phone so few people know about, since most people will ask for help from someone else that also has that OS.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
To save them the frustration. Windows Phone is lacking in specs, features, apps and games. I can't recommend it but an straight face knowing well that it won't make that person happy.

I do tell everyone I like it and when I get the frequent question or Android vs Apple I will say Windows Phone 10 times out of 10. Recommend it however? Microsoft better step their game up before that happens.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I think that's a fair comment Winterfang.

There are plenty of people I know who would not be suited to Windows Phone, either because of the apps they use, the expectation that they should use apps, or their desires for what their handset should be capable of.

That said I still show it off as much as possible, it's by far my most shared phone, everyone wants to try it out.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I had lots of people telling me my phone is cool. Just by watching me unlocking it but I don't want another webOS problem. I'm not planing to live in a bubble, as of now Windows Phone isn't that great. The potential however is through the roof.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
My $0.02...

WP vs. Android vs. iOS: This type of battle has had so many different variations in the past. OS2 vs. Windows. Windows vs. Mac. Windows vs. Linux. Palm OS vs. Windows CE. Maybe I'm too old or just jaded. But when people try to convince how their device is better than everything else that's out there, it just makes me tune out. Every platform has its weakness and strengths. I would say that at this point, WP's most lacking aspect is the application support. Given that iOS and Android has a big start over WP, it will be a while till WP catches on. I think Microsoft has some momentum on this, plus it helps to have a truck load of cash to use at their disposal.

I can personally say that within the short time that I have my Nokia 710, everybody that I showed it to is like: WOW! They are amazed by the simplistic interface. And how easy it is to do simple tasks.

I hope Microsoft keeps their momentum!!!

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
not sure why NFC is so important, my nexus s has NFC, i have never used it.

same thing with bluetooth file transfers. in all my years of having smartphones, i have NEVER used bluetooth file transfer.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
well Lumia seems to be doing great, it sold over a million copies during that period when it was only released in 6 European countries (just so you Americans know, Europe has many countries, around 45 or so i think).

And Lumia seems to be selling really well in the scandinavian countries as well. It was released here in late January and is number one according to pricerunner in Denmark, and number two according to prisjakt (similar to pricerunner) in Sweden, it has also high ratings at prisjakt.nu from the people that own the phone (9,16/10). Iphone 4s only has 8/10:lol:

agree with svtfmook, bluetooth feels so 2008 or something..

Last edited:

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I love my WP7 and have defended it and continue to defend it, however recomending it is a different issue. Unfortunately it doesn't have the sort of app support that iOS enjoys nor the hardware the Android phones get. So from a purely tech point of view I can't recommend to everyone.

Apart from Nokia, WP7 is treated as a 2nd class citizen by all other hardware manufacturers. I think it is vital that MS get atleast another manufacturer onboard to treat Wp7 with the same level of support. I think HTC may be a good candidate as MS has a long history with them since the Windows Mobile days and lately HTC havn't done that well with their Android phones.

Windows Phone growing by 1% each year is not enough, Android grew by 1% each quarter in its first year. WP7 has a mountain to climb and I hope it gets there but the door of opportunity is closing fast. Windows Phone 8 has to do it or its game over.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm the worse WP7 owner. I never defend it and more than once I had tell people to go with Apple instead.

Not at all. You're the best sort of person to ask for technology advice, because you'll tell people honestly what's best for them rather than just blindly supporting a platform - even one you like - and pointing them towards it even if you know another one might fit them better.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Not at all. You're the best sort of person to ask for technology advice, because you'll tell people honestly what's best for them rather than just blindly supporting a platform - even one you like - and pointing them towards it even if you know another one might fit them better.

I agree, being honest doesn't mean you don't support the platform. I want Wp7 to succeed because I can see its great potential, but thats because I work in tech and have been a fan of the platform since the days of Pocket Pc's. But I can't expect others to see it that way, so for the moment I can't recommend it for everyone.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't try to argue that WP is "superior" to other platforms, whatever that even means. I think it's better simply to suggest to people that they consider it, and look into it a bit. They may be pleasantly surprised.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
If the apps that people are using are there and they haven't spend alot of money on android system (for programs and games) i see no reason why not to tell them about Winphone 7..

And when it comes to iphone i always remember this [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg[/YT]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6