Do I need a 4G card?

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I updated to 8107 and was looking in the data area (I like to turn it off when using a WiFi network.) And noticed that the highest connection speed is 3G not 4G. My Focus S is using the same sim card that was in my old go phone. So do I need a 4G sim card in order to use 4G?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was told by an AT&T rep that my Titan needs a 4G SIM. However, from what I've read online, AT&T uses different APN settings for 3G and 4G. AT&T can set it up for you, not sure if it can be done manually on the Focus S. Still, I'm not entirely sure how all this 3G/4G mojo jojo works.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
HSPA+, which is the faux G on the Focus S, is simply enhanced 3G, and is not tied to the sim card. It's also nothing to brag about, as almost no one gets a big jump in speeds unless they are standing under a tower.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have an older AT&T SIM card in my Nokia N8. I got it before all this HSPA+ 4G stuff started and my data connection says 3.5G which is the AT&T HSPA+ 4G. Like threed61 said it's a faux 4G.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Put it like this, there are two true 4G Windows Phones and neither of them are out yet (The Lumia 900 and the Titan 2).

Some American networks have been calling their 3.5G or HSPA+ services 4G to make themselves sound good, but it is not 4G. Also, as threed61 said, unless you're very close to a tower it will make little difference over 3G.

Also unless your SIM card pre-dates the release of 3G, it should be fine, even then I'm not sure if it would cause an issue.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The "4G" on the Focus S is "faux G" or 3.5G as others have stated. It uses the HSPA+ frequencies. LTE (available in the Lumia 900 and the Titan 2) is a much better version of 4G.

However, HSPA+ is not bad. For example, I get 4.8mbps download speeds with my Focus S. I acklowledge that this speed is not mind-blowing, but to put it into perspective, Verizon has LTE in my area, and friends of mine are thrilled if they get 6.5mbps.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what kind of real-life speeds LTE on AT&T will offer.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The "4G" on the Focus S is "faux G" or 3.5G as others have stated. It uses the HSPA+ frequencies. LTE (available in the Lumia 900 and the Titan 2) is a much better version of 4G.

However, HSPA+ is not bad. For example, I get 4.8mbps download speeds with my Focus S. I acklowledge that this speed is not mind-blowing, but to put it into perspective, Verizon has LTE in my area, and friends of mine are thrilled if they get 6.5mbps.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what kind of real-life speeds LTE on AT&T will offer.

I get between 4-6 mbps on HSPA+ I have seen times when it goes down to 1.5-2 mbps, but not very often. When you get 4-6 mbps, it makes me wonder why I even need LTE.

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The sim doesnt make any difference. It holds your number and registration and contacts. Perfect example is I took the one out of my HD7S which is 3G and put it in a HTC Inspire 4G and it registered it as H+ on the connection. It comes down to the internal radio in the phones. The phones that have the "LTE" designation have true up to date 4G. Phones that run on advanced backhaul H+only are 3.5G but are close to 4G speeds depending on location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99