Lumia 710 vs HTC Radar vs Omnia W (Focus Flash)

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
In a few months I will change my actual phone (Blackberry /: ) and I really want a WP7. So my three options are the Lumia 710, HTC Radar and Omnia W.

Lumia 710 pros: clearblack display, nokia software, nokia hardware??
Lumia 710 cons: no front facing camera, no wifi tethering (although I don't use it too much), 1300 mAh battery

Omnia W pros: Super AMOLED display, front facing camera, 1500 mAh battery
Omnia W cons: is there any?

HTC Radar pros: front facing camera, 1520 mAh
HTC Radar cons: is there any?

So what am I missing here? People tell me that the Lumia 710 is good because Nokia's hardware is always good. But people doesn't seem to like the Radar or the Omnia W so much, why??

Also I looked into a comparative of this three phones cameras in: Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
and there is no huge difference beween them, so what would you recommend?

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
In a few months I will change my actual phone (Blackberry /: ) and I really want a WP7. So my three options are the Lumia 710, HTC Radar and Omnia W.

Lumia 710 pros: clearblack display, nokia software, nokia hardware??
Lumia 710 cons: no front facing camera, no wifi tethering (although I don't use it too much), 1300 mAh battery

Omnia W pros: Super AMOLED display, front facing camera, 1500 mAh battery
Omnia W cons: is there any?

HTC Radar pros: front facing camera, 1520 mAh
HTC Radar cons: is there any?

So what am I missing here? People tell me that the Lumia 710 is good because Nokia's hardware is always good. But people doesn't seem to like the Radar or the Omnia W so much, why??

Also I looked into a comparative of this three phones cameras in: Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
and there is no huge difference beween them, so what would you recommend?

You've summarized some of the main points pretty well. You need to ignore what "people" say and decide what's important. For example, in my opinion the Lumia 710's 1300 mAh battery makes it clearly underpowered. For me, that's a deal-breaker. I refuse to have a phone that has to be recharged before I go to bed at night. You may not care. I have no use for a front-facing camera, but you might. The Lumia is definitely better to look at in direct sunlight, but how much of an issue is that for you? I've found that in most circumstances I can tilt my Radar away from the sun and see it without too much trouble. On the other hand, I'd love to have Nokia Drive on the Radar, but it's not a deal-breaker, or else I wouldn't have bought it. I can get by with other navi software. The Radar has some added special-purpose camera functions, but they don't mean much to me; they might to you.

I still have my BlackBerry, and in fact use it more than my Radar, but I'm keeping both to see if that changes with time, and with upgrades to WP.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Everything about the Lumia 710 is awesome...except for the battery. Its huge Achilles Heel. But the hardware is good, it's very fast, the screen is awesome, and since MS and Nokia seem to be married now, I suspect we can count on updates to the phone.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I find the Lumia's battery very frustrating, because overall is a very good phone (and cheap). I don't really use the front facing camera but I'm sure that someday I will need to do some video calls. Also the nokia exclusive software is not a deal-breaker as you said.

So I think the Lumia 710 is not an option here (for me), it leaves us with the two other phones. The Samsung's main advantages are the super AMOLED screen and the 1.4ghz processor, over the S-LCD and 1.0ghz on the Radar. But I seem to like more the design and build quality of the Radar, the display is good enough for me as well. Also the Samsung's screen seems to drains the battery, so the Radar's battery lasts longer.

The Omnia W is very expensive (at least in my country, Mexico), so I will wait for the Radar to arrive, hopefully it will be cheaper.

Thanks

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Good luck! I hope you find the right phone. Why not consider a first generation WP7 device? Surely you can find a used one very cheaply.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Good luck! I hope you find the right phone. Why not consider a first generation WP7 device? Surely you can find a used one very cheaply.

Well, I want 2nd gen devices because I think they have more chance of being updated on the future, also the only 1st gen WP7 device we have here is the LG Optimus 7 (which is always out of stock), and buying unlocked phones from USA would be more expensive and a lot of trouble because of the shipping. So getting new phones with a plan is easier for me.

I just read an article which said that the Lumia 710 was coming at a really low price, so if I find the HTC Radar being too expensive, the Lumia will be the chosen one.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'd probably get the Lumia 710 since it's the best value.

The Radar is a low end device with a 1 ghz processor. I'd rather just get a Samsung Focus or any 1st gen device, which are cheaper.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Focus Flash is a really good device. It is selling like hotcakes. I really like the size of it, and the fact that it has the FFC and a more robust battery seem to tip it over the edge.
However, the Flash is ugly compared to the 710. My daughter really wants the 710, just because of the white front and blue back. She doesn't care that it doesn't have a FFC.
It really depends on where you place your priorities.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought my son the 710 and its a really nice phone, he loves it. Re: the battery, is it really that much of an issue to plug it in once a day or overnight?

However all three of those phones are in my 'really nice' list so tbh I dont think you will be dissapointed whichever one you choose :)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It's a tough choice, all 3 of them are great devices in their own right...

Focus Flash is a superb all-round device, and I don't think you could wrong with the Radar either. Lumia 710 is a solid device at its price ($254.99 no-contract in Canada), and having Nokia Drive and Maps doesn't hurt.

That said, it just depends on what you can live with and without, and how much you're willing to pay for your next phone. But if you're into WP7 no matter what the circumstance, I don't think you can regret your phone choice, all are great devices. I just yearn for the day we see a $250-300 WP7.5 phone with FFC, gorilla glass, AMOLED, etc - now that would be a fighter.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I bought my son the 710 and its a really nice phone, he loves it. Re: the battery, is it really that much of an issue to plug it in once a day or overnight?

However all three of those phones are in my 'really nice' list so tbh I dont think you will be dissapointed whichever one you choose :)

You're right. It's not a huge deal. The battery life of the 710 is enough to make it through a day. But that is the biggest negative of the 710. Otherwise, the 710 is a rockin' phone.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all for your replys, I won't buy the Omnia W since it's very expensive at the moment, and it's only available through a carrier I don't really like. So I'm looking forward to buy a Radar if it turns to be not so expensive, If not, the Lumia 710.

RenatoFontes

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I find the Lumia's battery very frustrating, because overall is a very good phone (and cheap). I don't really use the front facing camera but I'm sure that someday I will need to do some video calls. Also the nokia exclusive software is not a deal-breaker as you said.

So I think the Lumia 710 is not an option here (for me), it leaves us with the two other phones. The Samsung's main advantages are the super AMOLED screen and the 1.4ghz processor, over the S-LCD and 1.0ghz on the Radar. But I seem to like more the design and build quality of the Radar, the display is good enough for me as well. Also the Samsung's screen seems to drains the battery, so the Radar's battery lasts longer.

The Omnia W is very expensive (at least in my country, Mexico), so I will wait for the Radar to arrive, hopefully it will be cheaper.

Thanks

You can actually buy an unlocked focus flash from ebay, as long as the total cost doesn't exceed 300 dollars you wouldn't pay taxes even if it is shipped to mexico.

I'm thinking about buying it too. =)

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the 710 after much comparison. Just liked its camera, looks, and feel better than the Radar. Did not like having to switch to micro sim card and not able to use my old phones with regular sim. Radar uses regular sim.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've being seeing a lot of 710 lately but yesterday I found someone that returned one. I find it funny that she mentioned the phone she used to had and wanted to see if there was accessories.

Why she returned it? No easy way to transfer all her contacts. She got a Galaxy Ace now, which I personally find it to be inferior but it had what she needed. =(

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I've being seeing a lot of 710 lately but yesterday I found someone that returned one. I find it funny that she mentioned the phone she used to had and wanted to see if there was accessories.

Why she returned it? No easy way to transfer all her contacts. She got a Galaxy Ace now, which I personally find it to be inferior but it had what she needed. =(

Which is ironic as the Lumia 710 is probably the WP7 device that is easiest to get all your contacts on with Contacts Transfer using Bluetooth. And provided she then created a Live account it would all be in the cloud for any future device.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean about Pentile?

The FF (Omnia W) uses a screen that has a pentile matrix. This means that each pixel is made up of four sub-pixels; red, blue, and 2 greens. It was designed as a battery-saving measure because green is easiest for the human eye to perceive, allowing the phone to be useable at lower brightness settings. Problem is, it creates very subtle diagonal green lines that are especially noticeable on a white background, making text appear blurry, and it is incredibly annoying for people who can see it. However, many people can have the screen inches from heir face and not notice it. I can see it easily.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, the HTC Radar hasn't arrived to Mexico yet. This means I'm getting the Lumia 710, is very cheap. I've noticed that the updates for Nokia devices are released very fast, is this the same for other manufacturers?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3