Why Windows Phone needs to support TD-SCDMA to succeed in China

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Windows Phones are about a month away from its official debut in China. As a result, I feel a compelling need to discuss the mobile phone industry in China.

There are three mobile network operators in China: China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom, but just listing their names doesn't give a sense of scale.

In January 2011, China Mobile had 589.28 million subscribers while China Unicom and China Telecom had 169.7 million and 94.1 million respectively. China Mobile is the world's biggest mobile network operator. Clearly, China is a huge market that Windows Phone can take advantage of, but there are complications.

In 2009, the Chinese network operators began rolling out their 3G networks, but each use a different mobile standard. China Unicom uses W-CDMA UMTS and China Telecom uses CDMA2000 1xEV-DO: both of which are currently supported by Windows Phone.

China Mobile, on the other hand, uses TD-SCDMA which is China's homegrown 3G standard. TD-SCDMA is use by China Mobile and no other mobile network operator. As a result, only a few models of phones run on this network. iPhone, for example, operates on China Unicom's and China Telecom's 3G networks, but not on China Mobile's 3G network.

If Windows Phones do support TD-SCDMA, this leaves them to compete with only a handful Android and Symbian devices (and one BlackBerry) and to tap the user base of the world's biggest mobile network operator.

alzaeem

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you that this there is a WP build specifically targeted for TD-SCDMA, and slated for release in March (as of 6 months ago when I saw the info). At the time I wondered why it was so important, but now I know. (and who am I? I am no body ;)

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you that this there is a WP build specifically targeted for TD-SCDMA, and slated for release in March (as of 6 months ago when I saw the info). At the time I wondered why it was so important, but now I know. (and who am I? I am no body ;)

I hope so. China Mobile is the 800 lb gorilla in China.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I am sure its coming its just a matter of time They have it in Japan.

but why? its like asking MS to support windows 3.1 again.... i guess they have a big market, but man you would think a place like china would be ruing on NEW tech and not 10 year old tech..

not to mention making CDMA phones is more expensive.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
i think its time for CHINA to Upgrade to LTE!

China Mobile, China Unicom, and China Telecom were only given 3G licenses as recent as 2009.

China Mobile has been testing TD-LTE (which is different from FD-LTE that carriers such as Verizon Wireless and AT&T use) in several cities, but it will be a while before the Chinese government give China Mobile the operating license for TD-LTE. To give you an idea of how long, TD-SCDMA trials started in 2006.

I am sure its coming its just a matter of time They have it in Japan.
Like I said above, it will be a while.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Nope, it does not support TD-SCDMA.

The model selling in China is identical to the model selling in the US and elsewhere.

I wonder why Apple didn't support TD-SCDMA with 650 million subscribers? Is there a lot cloning or something on the TD-SCDMA network? There has to be reason why they bypassed TD-SCDMA.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why Apple didn't support TD-SCDMA with 650 million subscribers? Is there a lot cloning or something on the TD-SCDMA network? There has to be reason why they bypassed TD-SCDMA.

Apple did made TD-SCDMA iPhone prototype for China Mobile, but China Mobile wants a cut of sales from the App Store which is a No No for Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion