Where can WP7 fanboys go to complain?

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
While the feedback thing is useful, to be honest I feel we really shouldn't have to do it for a lot of things. I mean, how obvious is it that fixing bugs quickly is good, or that phones with a lot of music features should have even basic sound options?

The MS attitude to WP features and fixes seems to be "we'll get around to that". Which is an odd approach for the company playing catch-up.
not at all. microsoft has been awesome with updates. a lot of people don't realize that a company cannot just make a change and release it. it has to go through a design, alpha, beta, rtm, legal approval then deployment. these things take time.

i would rather wait for these things then have updates that make things worse.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
the reason it's unnecessary is because everyone is going to cloud storage and streaming. i would rather stream and keep the device cost down.

but i believe 3rd gen devices will have more storage.

when I can be guaranteed full signal strength ANYWHERE in this country with no monthly data caps... THEN and only will I accept this idea that we can just store all of our stuff in the "cloud" instead of on our phones. But, since we are nowhere near that currently then I'm going to have to ask all of those nice people who keep insisting that I don't need storage space on my phone to please shut up. You may not feel a need for more storage space and you may hav a personal situation that allows you to use cloud storage regularly/dependably but, there are plenty of us who are not so fortunate so stop telling us what we need when you clearly do no know what we need.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
not at all. microsoft has been awesome with updates. ... these things take time.

i would rather wait for these things then have updates that make things worse.

Really? Because my Lumia 800 - the alleged "flagship device", at least here in Europe - still has a ropey camera, still has bugs, still has no sound equalizer (and HTC phones do, so not impossible by any means), still doesn't have tethering, still has odd battery behaviour after 2 updates, still has a Mail app that seems to just plain forget to sync some emails sometimes, still has a "Me" tile that now and again takes the day off for no apparent reason, and has been on the market 5 months now.

I have waited AND had updates that have made things worse - or at least, no better. But the point is some of these things that are oversights should have ALWAYS been in there, or at least been put in place in Mango.

Like I say, the whole "just wait until..." thing is getting old. I don't want to be excited about getting feature parity and bug fixes - I want to be excited about brand new features no one else has.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Really? Because my Lumia 800 - the alleged "flagship device", at least here in Europe - still has a ropey camera, still has bugs, still has no sound equalizer (and HTC phones do, so not impossible by any means), still doesn't have tethering, still has odd battery behaviour after 2 updates, still has a Mail app that seems to just plain forget to sync some emails sometimes, still has a "Me" tile that now and again takes the day off for no apparent reason, and has been on the market 5 months now.

I have waited AND had updates that have made things worse - or at least, no better. But the point is some of these things that are oversights should have ALWAYS been in there, or at least been put in place in Mango.

Like I say, the whole "just wait until..." thing is getting old. I don't want to be excited about getting feature parity and bug fixes - I want to be excited about brand new features no one else has.
seriously, the 800 has been out for how long now? 3-4 months? you're not going to see an update that quick on any platform.

it doesn't have the htc sound EQ, but neither does any phone other than HTC. that's why it's called HTC sound EQ. that's like complaining that your nokia doesn't have the HTC hub.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
when I can be guaranteed full signal strength ANYWHERE in this country with no monthly data caps... THEN and only will I accept this idea that we can just store all of our stuff in the "cloud" instead of on our phones. But, since we are nowhere near that currently then I'm going to have to ask all of those nice people who keep insisting that I don't need storage space on my phone to please shut up. You may not feel a need for more storage space and you may hav a personal situation that allows you to use cloud storage regularly/dependably but, there are plenty of us who are not so fortunate so stop telling us what we need when you clearly do no know what we need.
honestly though, you can't blame MS or wp7 because of your need for over 16gb of storage.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
While the feedback thing is useful, to be honest I feel we really shouldn't have to do it for a lot of things. I mean, how obvious is it that fixing bugs quickly is good, or that phones with a lot of music features should have even basic sound options?

The MS attitude to WP features and fixes seems to be "we'll get around to that". Which is an odd approach for the company playing catch-up.

( BTW: tethering is decided by your Carrier , not Nokia or MS [ unless the update has not rolled out yet] cause the phone DOES support it. i still dotn have it on My Focus , but some people have it on different carriers.)

yeah , i think the problem with WP is the fact that they have a broad variety of possibilities to develop and because of that they neglect allot of small features.

(Xbox, business use , PC , personal use , Multimedia , general use , social networks ... ect)

instead of having a GREAT, XBL experience , we have a OK one , instead of a GREAT social system, we have an ok one ...ect.....

hopefully WP8 will FILL UP the voids in some of does varieties.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
seriously, the 800 has been out for how long now? 3-4 months? you're not going to see an update that quick on any platform.

it doesn't have the htc sound EQ, but neither does any phone other than HTC. that's why it's called HTC sound EQ. that's like complaining that your nokia doesn't have the HTC hub.

Well point 1 is moot because I have had updates from Nokia already - two in fact. The first made my battery worse, the second made it better again and added quick charging capacity (something else that should have been in there from launch). So yes, I think it is reasonable to suggest if they have managed two updates so far for them to manage another update to fix the largely awful camera - especially as the camera update being in the works was announced more or less simultaneously with launch.

Point 2 - I wasn't stating I want the HTC app specifically, just pointing out that one OEM has managed to release an equalizer app. Nokia make a big fuss of Nokia music and their line of accessories and headphones - and yet I can't even adjust the bass on my phone's output.

And for the tethering thing - my phone is unlocked, so I should have the option as I'm not beholden to what my carrier allows. I don't though, because this is a feature that still hasn't been released for the 800 despite being another feature down as "coming soon" from launch.

They should probably use it as a strapline: "Windows Phone - where everything is coming soon!" ;)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
They should probably use it as a strapline: "Windows Phone - where everything is coming soon!" ;)

LOL! funny but true.... they make me think of my g-f...
starts to clean the beedroom , stops half way to go start cleaning the living room , stops half way to start cleaning the kitchen ..ect....

nothing ever gets done and its always .. ITS ALMOST CLEAN!! lol!! :confused:

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
the reason it's unnecessary is because everyone is going to cloud storage and streaming. i would rather stream and keep the device cost down.

but i believe 3rd gen devices will have more storage.

Streaming is not always an option due to either data limits or network coverage. Stored media is always there.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Well point 1 is moot because I have had updates from Nokia already - two in fact. The first made my battery worse, the second made it better again and added quick charging capacity (something else that should have been in there from launch). So yes, I think it is reasonable to suggest if they have managed two updates so far for them to manage another update to fix the largely awful camera - especially as the camera update being in the works was announced more or less simultaneously with launch.

Point 2 - I wasn't stating I want the HTC app specifically, just pointing out that one OEM has managed to release an equalizer app. Nokia make a big fuss of Nokia music and their line of accessories and headphones - and yet I can't even adjust the bass on my phone's output.

And for the tethering thing - my phone is unlocked, so I should have the option as I'm not beholden to what my carrier allows. I don't though, because this is a feature that still hasn't been released for the 800 despite being another feature down as "coming soon" from launch.

you received bug fixes. those are just quick changes in core settings. changing your camera would require rewriting the app. which means it would need to be retested, etc.

either way, you received more improvements in the first few months than the first gen iphones received in the first year. all i have to say is look what apple owners went through with copy/paste.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
honestly though, you can't blame MS or wp7 because of your need for over 16gb of storage.

Capitalism 101, if a customer has a need, we should have a product to sell them. Every quarter Apple sells several million iPhones with 32 or 64 gb of memory, so there would seem to be a market for more storage.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 is suppose to bring support for sd cards if that helps... (rumor but, heck, a good rumor) i think wp8 will fix 90% of our hardware desires

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
all i have to say is look what apple owners went through with copy/paste.

So what if Apple took a long time to implement cut/paste a few years ago, and they made fewer updates in the iPhone's first year? (and to be fair, their version of cut/paste is still the best implementation of copy/paste on a mobile OS so when they did release it the job was 100% done, not half done to be amended again later). That's as poor an argument as suggesting that if a new car company launch today it's fine if their models don't have airbags or seatbelts because it took everyone else ages to implement them.

This is not 2007, it is not the same market then as it is now, and "but they didn't do things quickly or right at first" isn't a justifiable reason for missing features and slow attention to bug fixes and patches. I've had my Lumia 5 months, and I *still* have to turn autofocus off and on again to even start to get the video camera to focus enough so that it doesn't look like I've smeared the lens in vaseline. I don't even want improvements in functionality at this stage - I just want it to work in a half-decent manner most of the time. I don't think that's an unreasonable request.

MS/Nokia want to be in the smartphone race, so where's the logic in trying to catch up by going at the same speed as/more slowly than the runaway leaders?

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
All of your music at your fingertips...as long as you have a WiFi or data connection available. Perhaps the OP has a 300MB data plan or doesn't have WiFi at a particular place? What good will cloud-based music be in that situation?

Well I didn't see in the original post what the OP's data plan situation was, so I don't know if my suggestion will be optimal for him/her, but I don't see why that means I can't still make the suggestion. If it doesn't work for him/her, they can ignore it. That's the general concept of a "suggestion".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99