ride the boat till it sinks, or jump ship?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
really my concerns stem from all the reading i do... it is difficult to think things are going in the right direction when i keep reading otherwise... i love the platform, but i have legit concerns. i also stated i am riding it till it ends, in which case i will, but i wish things looked a bit more optimistic, that’s all.... isnt that a fair statement?

more then fair.

now some one will probably tell me it hat this post cant be taken seriously cause im defending a great product ( in other words let the trolling begin,*I really dint want to have to use that word LOL )not talking about you btw ;) )

u simply post a opinion and people freak out! they forget thats the whole point of a FORUM! lol

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I still love my Terrific Trophy! But it is up to Verizon, not me. I intend to stay with a Windows phone. If Verizon does not come with another Windows phone, than I will decide what to do.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The TV/console area IMO is where Microsoft is both most vulnerable and has tremendous opportunities. Within 10 years, I'd be surprised if we didn't see TVs with built-in video game console hardware. I think this is market Apple in particular wants to get into, and Microsoft, as a primarily non-hardware company that does not manufacture TVs (or even monitors), potentially could be vulnerable. On the other hand, Microsoft has established an ecosystem with the XBox 360, and they potentially could leverage that (or perhaps more accurately leverage that to a greater degree) with other devices that include their operating system. The Kinect motion detection system also has potential IMO to possibly be used in much broader manner than just for video games or even televisions. A combination of motion control, voice-activated control, and front-facing cameras could be core elements for televisions/consoles, desktops/laptops, and tablets/hybrid netbooks in the future.

Honestly, I think the distinction between televisions and desktop computers will blur in the future as large, high-definition monitors become more and more common and more people stream video on their "computer" devices. Cable/satellite TV, home internet, and cell phone service providers have already become blurred (some companies, like Verizon, do all three things), so watching television through your computer or doing computer work on a Wi-Fi device while sitting 5-8 feet away from your large-screen HD TV/computer monitor may become commonplace in the future.

Yes, I agree that the distinction of what know as of today, TV and desktop will be blurry as we move forward. Wireless display is coming on line. Intel already has this technology on their Sandybridge based systems, although it is buggy. I'm sure AMD/Nvidia/Qualcomm/TI/others area also developing this technology. Once the hardware becomes more mainstream, it will be one less reason to turn on your XBOX360 or use your desktop computers to watch TV shows/movies. Isn't it great that we're always improving?! :D

Just realized that I didn't answer this thread's original question: I'll ride it till my phone is broken, lost, or whenver I get the itch to replace it with something better. When that time comes, I'll buy the device that best suit my needs, wants, and wallet.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Spot on. At the moment, in North America, WP needs to focus on the battle for third place. Neither BB nor WP is in any position to contend for 2nd place yet. At the moment, BB has 3rd place and WP isn't yet challenging it. Moreover, BB has deep market penetration
in other places, thanks to data compression and the availability of lower-cost models. This provides RIM with a strong revenue stream that enables them to weather the storm in North America. And this is why WP Tango isn't a misstep. It's Microsoft taking dead aim at that revenue stream and trying to carve off a chunk of it.

The notion that BB is only alive because of corporate use is a stereotype. There is still a very large non-corporate user base on BIS, not BES. The fact that it has dwindled in North America doesn't mean that it is vanishing. I teach at a university and I often conduct informal polls of my students to see what devices they have, just for fun. iPhones and Androids certainly predominate, no surprise there, but consistently about 15% have BBs. WP phones are rare.

But you (CHIP72) make the excellent point that Microsoft has a good headstart in working out the problems in WP. So even though BB has a headstart over WP in sheer user numbers, WP could catch up quickly if Apollo is hot and BB10 is late or disappointing.

For whatever it is worth, in addition to owning an HTC Trophy I also recently bought a Blackberry Playbook (with BB QNX OS, which is intended to be similar to BB BBX/10 OS). I really like what I've seen on BB QNX OS in terms of user interface; I'd personally like to see both WP OS (or more accurately Windows 8 OS) and BBX/10 OS get strong user adoption because both are very good and both are distinctly different than iOS and Android OS (with Windows Phone OS being a little more unique IMO than BB QNX OS). Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if both are widely adopted, particularly in the U.S.

I also agree that Windows Phone Tango is a good move by Microsoft. There are literally billions of people on this planet that live in developing areas where cellular communications isn't just emerging as the most popular electronic communications medium available, but is by far the best developed or even only electronic communications medium available. In these areas, where incomes are low or very low relative to U.S./western European standards, inexpensive but powerful smartphones will rule in sales terms. Apple won't be a player in those areas (except to the richest people in those countries), so Google, Microsoft, and RIM (and possibly other, yet-to-emerge players) will compete there. I think both Microsoft, via Tango OS, and RIM are well-positioned to grab significant market share; RIM is already doing well in those emerging countries. Google Android will also grab significant market share, but I think low-end Android devices' poor performance quality will harm Google in the longer-term in emerging countries, especially with governments in those countries.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Not jumping ship. We have three WP7.5 phones in my house are we are committed. We also have one Android phone. The OS works for us and we enjoy our phone immensely. As long as we enjoy them that way, we will be onboard. Apps don't mean as much to me or my family members. We use our phones for calls, internet access when out of the house, texting, email and social media. WP7.5 has that covered. I don't need 500,000 apps. I just need the 10 that I need to be available. The ecosystem will grow.

I don't believe Microsoft can afford to lose this fight. Not having a mobile presence is an untenable, nonviable commercial outcome. They cannot allow it to be. Steve Jobs once said he would spend Apple's entire cash hoard to fight off Google or some other folks that infringed on their patents. I think Microsoft will take the same stance on WP. They will spend the whole stack before they concede defeat. We have seen how this determination worked for them in the past with xBox. In my opinion.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Jumping ship cause I like high quality paid apps and this platform isn't worth deep investment in the ecosystem. Already got all the free albums I need. I canceled my Zune pass as well. The only thing keeping me fro. Leaving tight now is the chance of the iPhone 5 having a larger screen. Buy i can't wait much longer. Switching from the Vibrant to this has really made me a less efficient communicator.

At the moment win phone feels like an open beta for the woa ecosystem.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Console market is different and sony botched the ps3 (late and overpriced). The smartphone market is different. Xbox has nothing to di with WI does phone and no hypothesis can be drawn from that. Microsoft basically did in the mobile market what Sony did in the console market. RIM is doing it, too.

they lost imo. Its about ecosystem and I don't foresee and future update being so amazing that people will walk away from ecosystems they're locked in to just to start all over again.

This is a much bigger issue than phone hardware and specs imo. Buying a WP as a different platform user means walking away from hundreds of dollars in ecosystem investment. Its like switching to windowsfrom mac and havi g to pay again for all your software. It works both ways, bit Microsoft was so late that they didn't get the first jump on co.petitors

Rims terrible developer support made it easy for users here to abandon them

Not jumping ship. We have three WP7.5 phones in my house are we are committed. We also have one Android phone. The OS works for us and we enjoy our phone immensely. As long as we enjoy them that way, we will be onboard. Apps don't mean as much to me or my family members. We use our phones for calls, internet access when out of the house, texting, email and social media. WP7.5 has that covered. I don't need 500,000 apps. I just need the 10 that I need to be available. The ecosystem will grow.

I don't believe Microsoft can afford to lose this fight. Not having a mobile presence is an untenable, nonviable commercial outcome. They cannot allow it to be. Steve Jobs once said he would spend Apple's entire cash hoard to fight off Google or some other folks that infringed on their patents. I think Microsoft will take the same stance on WP. They will spend the whole stack before they concede defeat. We have seen how this determination worked for them in the past with xBox. In my opinion.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, WP success isn't a matter if "if", but "when."

So to me, even if things are slow for the next year or two, I'll still be happy and optimistic.

I remember feeling the same way about the XBOX. People were declaring it dead from before it's launch all the way until the 360 came out. And some people even declared the 360 dead for its first 2 years.

WP will grow. So I feel safe investing in this ecosystem. And it will be other people who will be upset that they invested so much into iPhone and/or Android when the pull of WP becomes so great that they make the switch.

Diamondx_8

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Console market is different and sony botched the ps3 (late and overpriced). The smartphone market is different. Xbox has nothing to di with WI does phone and no hypothesis can be drawn from that. Microsoft basically did in the mobile market what Sony did in the console market. RIM is doing it, too.

they lost imo. Its about ecosystem and I don't foresee and future update being so amazing that people will walk away from ecosystems they're locked in to just to start all over again.

This is a much bigger issue than phone hardware and specs imo. Buying a WP as a different platform user means walking away from hundreds of dollars in ecosystem investment. Its like switching to windowsfrom mac and havi g to pay again for all your software. It works both ways, bit Microsoft was so late that they didn't get the first jump on co.petitors

Rims terrible developer support made it easy for users here to abandon them

It would be a flawed strategy for Microsoft to deploy capital with the intent of converting entrenched users that are well invested in their current ecosystem. In my opinion, the correct strategy is to go after the hundreds of millions of people around the world that have yet to buy a smartphone but will in the near future. If Microsoft can get a higher proportion of those people than Android and iPhone, they will begin to reduce the lead and establish a respectable market share. Remember there are more people in the world without a smartphone than with one. Clearly, Microsoft will have to put out a product that will induce people to choose Windows Phone over Android and iPhone. I think they are making a compelling case for that. Only time will tell.

Also, I think we can distill some learnings from the console market. To say Microsoft's outcome there cannot be repeated is synonymous with saying Google and Apple are infallible and will never make a bad business decision. No one thought Sony would lose their number one slot until it happened. No one thought Apple would have to make a major mea culpa on labor practices until they did, and that changes how people feel. It does not feel the same to whip out your fancy Apple gadget to feel like king of the hill only to have someone ask "Is that one of the ones made by a 12 year old working a 14 hour shift?". Kind of takes some of the shine off. No one thought Google would have to make a major mea culpa on hacking privacy settings until they did, and that changes how people feel. Kind of makes you pause on hitting that search button when you have to consider that Google is recording every keystroke and destination point. All I am saying is anything is possible in business and it would be unwise to count out a company that has been as successful as Microsoft has been that is also sitting on billions in cash. I know Apple and Google also have billions. Tim Cook isn't taking the folks in Redmond for granted.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, WP success isn't a matter if "if", but "when."

So to me, even if things are slow for the next year or two, I'll still be happy and optimistic.

I remember feeling the same way about the XBOX. People were declaring it dead from before it's launch all the way until the 360 came out. And some people even declared the 360 dead for its first 2 years.

WP will grow. So I feel safe investing in this ecosystem. And it will be other people who will be upset that they invested so much into iPhone and/or Android when the pull of WP becomes so great that they make the switch.

People saying that about the XBox said the same thing about the iPhone. They always say that when a company goes into a market that is deemed to be foreign for them. People had a different view of Microsoft IRT console gaming by the time the 360 rolled around.

The 360 was a success by default by virtue of Sony (and Nintendo) being almost a year behind Microsoft in releasing the PS3. For example, in the US the 360 was available almost a full year ahead of the Playstation 3.

For the 360 to fail, Microsoft would have had to kill it themselves. It was impossible with that big of a lead. It is very hard to catch up in the console market when you miss a launch like that.

* Phones are different, especially when it's a system used by various manufacturers. Just cause HTC released a crappy phone doesn't mean Samsung won't release an Awesome phone using the same base OS (as has happened quite a few times). You simply avoid the bad apples. Apple and WebOS were the only exceptions, and Blackberry to a lesser extent but RIM tends to OverSKU their product portfolio anyways to yes much lesser extent.

In addition to Microsoft releasing the 360 almost a year ahead of the PS3, the PS3 launched very near the Wii which is a cheap console - and they launched with outrageous prices.

1. So... Tons of people had already invested in the 360 already by then (console, Games, services, etc.)

3. The PS3 was ridiculously expensive, and launched late (and hence the 360 was already building a healthy title library).

3. The PS3 launched close to the Wii, at a ridiculous price range (reviewers almost unilaterally laughed at Sony for that) which was cheap by comparison and siphoned the low end console gamer market from under them.

The RROD issue was real, but it only slowed 360 growth. For a whole year Microsoft had little to no competition in the high end console market. It was impossible for the 360 to fail, literally. Anyone even predicting such a thing had no clue how the console market works.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It would be a flawed strategy for Microsoft to deploy capital with the intent of converting entrenched users that are well invested in their current ecosystem. In my opinion, the correct strategy is to go after the hundreds of millions of people around the world that have yet to buy a smartphone but will in the near future. If Microsoft can get a higher proportion of those people than Android and iPhone, they will begin to reduce the lead and establish a respectable market share. Remember there are more people in the world without a smartphone than with one. Clearly, Microsoft will have to put out a product that will induce people to choose Windows Phone over Android and iPhone. I think they are making a compelling case for that. Only time will tell.

Also, I think we can distill some learnings from the console market. To say Microsoft's outcome there cannot be repeated is synonymous with saying Google and Apple are infallible and will never make a bad business decision. No one thought Sony would lose their number one slot until it happened. No one thought Apple would have to make a major mea culpa on labor practices until they did, and that changes how people feel. It does not feel the same to whip out your fancy Apple gadget to feel like king of the hill only to have someone ask "Is that one of the ones made by a 12 year old working a 14 hour shift?". Kind of takes some of the shine off. No one thought Google would have to make a major mea culpa on hacking privacy settings until they did, and that changes how people feel. Kind of makes you pause on hitting that search button when you have to consider that Google is recording every keystroke and destination point. All I am saying is anything is possible in business and it would be unwise to count out a company that has been as successful as Microsoft has been that is also sitting on billions in cash. I know Apple and Google also have billions. Tim Cook isn't taking the folks in Redmond for granted.

A lot of those people in developing Nations don't have much disposable income. That's why they like Blackberries. They are really cheap devices, really cheap on data as well. They don't care that there are hardly any apps in the app store. They don't care that they don't have a Music/Video service to compete with Apple/Microsoft.

They sure aren't going to spend enough in the ecosystem to even consider themselves locked in, and WP7 doesn't have the stickiness that Blackberry has with i.e. BBM. It will be very hard to compete with RIM in these markets. I think people are really taking them for granted by virtue of US marketshare numbers. There are markets where RIM has overwhelmingly top marketshare standings by virtue of their NOC infrastructure and BBM.

And then they still have to compete with low cost Android devices backed by Google Services which are typically held in higher regard than Microsoft's in some areas (like Mapping, for example) overseas.

Microsoft should be stronger in the Tablet market where they will be better able to leverage their Windows muscle. I don't really think Apple is really worried about them in the PMP/Smartphone market, TBH. They are more worried about their iPad dominance as far as MS is concerned.

Windows on ARM and Microsoft Office is going to be a formiddable combination. That's something I'm actually excited about.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Jumping ship cause I like high quality paid apps and this platform isn't worth deep investment in the ecosystem. Already got all the free albums I need. I canceled my Zune pass as well. The only thing keeping me fro. Leaving tight now is the chance of the iPhone 5 having a larger screen. Buy i can't wait much longer. Switching from the Vibrant to this has really made me a less efficient communicator.

At the moment win phone feels like an open beta for the woa ecosystem.

N8ter - why don't you just go on eBay and try to buy an iPhone 3GS, 4, or 4S off-contract and unlock the SIM card? That should keep you happy until the iPhone 5 comes out in the October 2012 time frame. As a frame of reference, I literally bought an iPhone 4 on Verizon for $360 new in unsealed box earlier this week. If you aren't as picky about buying new as I am, I'm sure you could get a better deal on a lightly-used iPhone 4.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
People saying that about the XBox said the same thing about the iPhone. They always say that when a company goes into a market that is deemed to be foreign for them. People had a different view of Microsoft IRT console gaming by the time the 360 rolled around.

The 360 was a success by default by virtue of Sony (and Nintendo) being almost a year behind Microsoft in releasing the PS3. For example, in the US the 360 was available almost a full year ahead of the Playstation 3.

For the 360 to fail, Microsoft would have had to kill it themselves. It was impossible with that big of a lead. It is very hard to catch up in the console market when you miss a launch like that.

* Phones are different, especially when it's a system used by various manufacturers. Just cause HTC released a crappy phone doesn't mean Samsung won't release an Awesome phone using the same base OS (as has happened quite a few times). You simply avoid the bad apples. Apple and WebOS were the only exceptions, and Blackberry to a lesser extent but RIM tends to OverSKU their product portfolio anyways to yes much lesser extent.

In addition to Microsoft releasing the 360 almost a year ahead of the PS3, the PS3 launched very near the Wii which is a cheap console - and they launched with outrageous prices.

1. So... Tons of people had already invested in the 360 already by then (console, Games, services, etc.)

3. The PS3 was ridiculously expensive, and launched late (and hence the 360 was already building a healthy title library).

3. The PS3 launched close to the Wii, at a ridiculous price range (reviewers almost unilaterally laughed at Sony for that) which was cheap by comparison and siphoned the low end console gamer market from under them.

The RROD issue was real, but it only slowed 360 growth. For a whole year Microsoft had little to no competition in the high end console market. It was impossible for the 360 to fail, literally. Anyone even predicting such a thing had no clue how the console market works.

A few comments:

1) IMO Sony's Playstation 3 launch wasn't hampered by the near-simultaneous launch of the Nintendo Wii, and the Wii's low cost wasn't the reason why it became more popular than the PS3 (and XBox 360 in the 2007-2009 time frame). The Wii became popular because of the motion controls, which drew in casual gamers. The Gamecube was cheaper than both the Playstation 2 and XBox in the previous generation but still was crushed by the PS2 sales-wise (and even outsold by the XBox in the U.S.).

2) I agree that the PS3's late launch hurt its sales. In video game console history, late-launching consoles almost always do not "win" their generation. The only exceptions to this are the Super Nintendo back in the 16-bit era (and that was a "sort-of" win for Nintendo - Sega had greater market share with the Genesis at the peak of the era in 1993-1994 and Nintendo went from having 90+% market share in the 8-bit era to around 50% market share in the 16-bit era) and the Wii in the current era (which had to do with its motion controls).

3) The XBox 360 was a success because it was a solid product, not because it was "a success by default". It was also a success because 1) the original XBox generally impressed people and captured a decent number of hardcore gamers; the positive opinions many people had of the XBox helped Microsoft build on that success with the XBox 360, and 2) Microsoft purposely launched the XBox 360 early (and discontinued the original XBox) so that it could boost its adoption rate. Launching early usually helps a video game console manufacturer but that's not always the case (see Sega Saturn, 1995).

4) I agree that the mobile computer OS market is functionally different than the video game console market. (Interestingly, there is one fairly high profile example of a video game OS creator following a paradigm similar to what we have with smartphones now - the 3DO back in the mid-1990s had a similar paradigm where the OS was purchased for use by hardware manufacturers. Both Panasonic and Goldstar (now known as LG) manufactured 3DO consoles. However, the 3DO bombed because the hardware cost was way too high for its time, and that hardware cost was high in large part because in the video game industry companies tend to make limited money on the hardware but lots of money on the software; however Panasonic and Goldstar weren't companies that created many video games.) Having said the above, I'm not sure the mobile computer OS market will be a carbon copy of the desktop/laptop computer OS market either, where an OS can now serve a user for nearly a decade and the next iteration of the OS builds upon the previous OS (i.e. backward compatibility). It is possible that Apple and/or Google (and all other mobile OS makers) will need to radically replace their mobile OS in a few years if they become bloated with backwards compatibility issues. Even if a radical replacement isn't needed, it is possible that items downloaded/purchased from their app stores now will at some point in the future not be compatible with later iterations of their operating system, which will require users to download/purchase similar apps again.

5) I personally think the whole "locked into an ecosystem" concern is overblown. How many times have we seen people, to use an example, own a Microsoft OS computer, use an Apple MP3 player (or smartphone), and browse the internet on their computer using a Google or Mozilla browser? This kind of thing happens all the time. In addition, how much money do people really spend for apps on their smartphones? Personally I'm someone who views purchasing apps when I can get free apps or free access via some other device as a waste of money, so I think I've purchased one app total (for Android OS) between all my different mobile OS devices, paying $5. (I'll add to that in the near future due to a $25 Windows Phone gift/rebate card and a $15 iTunes gift card, but even those expenditures won't be on my dime.) Even if people do purchase apps, I'd guess they are spending a fairly small amount of money total for those apps (say, less than $100 or even less than $50), an amount that is considerably less than what many people spend/have spent to buy new video games for a new, more powerful console. The much bigger "locked into an ecosystem" issues as I see it are 1) most people are afraid to learn a new mobile OS and how it works and 2) whether developers support a particular ecosystem (i.e. develop apps for it). With the former factor, the simpler a mobile OS is to use, the less that issue comes into play.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

All that is easy to say in hindsight. But the fact is that many were predicting the XBOX's demise until his a few years ago. The fact is that MS has WP as a major piece in their long term strategy, and they're prepared to spend $ on it for a good long while.

MS is targeting soon-to-be smartphone users and new smartphone users. People that haven't invested a great deal into an ecosystem yet. Or have invested very little. That is a large portion of the phone buying public.

Another thing to keep in mind is how fast the cycles go with phones. People typically keep their smartphones for 2 yrs. Even in just the past 2 yrs we've seen 20% of the current smarphone base move from Android to Apple. That's a huge shift that negates the theory that people are so invested that they won't switch.

And like with Xbox, MS is targeting developers by giving them the easiest and most efficient path for creating apps from start to finish. It took time for this to work with Xbox, and it will with WP. But it will work.

Feel free to underestimate MS here. But I'm just about positive you'll be proven wrong in another 2 or 3 yrs.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Jump ship to what, exactly? A grid of icons or a laggy, copycat Os that is increasingly being targeted by malware writers? WP7 is not perfect and is being epically mismanaged by Microsoft but still nothing out there compares. Wouldn't leave if you paid me.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This ship is not sinking, microsfot has enough capital to lose some on the growth period, which is still in progress. It is not that important for them to be the best phone maker, but to instead be in the conversation of the top 3 or 4. They are making an ecosystem, not just a phone market. It is going to be a big advantage to have all parts of an ecosystem running on the same OS (windows 8).

ShadL

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I love being different, and the fact that I have a Windows Phone makes me immediately different from anyone else with a smart phone. Windows Phone is eye catching, unique and an incredible experience. Anyone else would agree, I know many people who have switched from an iPhone to WP7, that's a good thing.
iOS will always be boring, and it won't be long before people realise that.
You can open an app, use it, press the home button and what? More apps?
**** no. With Windows Phone, it's a lot more than that.;)

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I love being different, and the fact that I have a Windows Phone makes me immediately different from anyone else with a smart phone. Windows Phone is eye catching, unique and an incredible experience. Anyone else would agree, I know many people who have switched from an iPhone to WP7, that's a good thing.
iOS will always be boring, and it won't be long before people realise that.
You can open an app, use it, press the home button and what? More apps?
**** no. With Windows Phone, it's a lot more than that.;)

I switched from Vibrant to Lumia 710.

Personally, I just wanted to experience a different platform. and iOS wasn't on my list. I went to a Lumia 710 knowing that I will not be able to do all the same things that I've been doing on Vibrant, but that's OK!! I am not resistant to change. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss