ride the boat till it sinks, or jump ship?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
whos going to ride this all the way to the end? i love windows phones and the whole idea of it... but i dont see a bright future for it. ios continues to grow exponantially, android is still a giant, blackberry is about to fall all the way out, web os is already gone, and now windows continues to hold on by a thread... so in the event it doesnt make it, whos riding this to the end? and whos jumping ship before it sinks? ( if it does)

i personally am riding it to the end... after that, ill probably go back to iphone =(

not trying to be negatyive nancy, but stats arent looking good... stats may not mean much either, but i really thought after mango, i would see big things happeneing... and i dont... (given they are trying with ads) now, i hear big things when apollo hits, but ive heard that before...

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Like I did with webOS, I'll ride it out until the end. Whenever that may be. I take an opposite approach, though. I really think WP7 is going to do well.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hmm , are you a CAPTAIN or a GRUNT! lol

do you like WP? if yes then stick with it , its only gona get better.

you say its holding on by thread when its actually growing!!!! market shares are up and Nokia is DOMINATING Europe and Soon Asia. (Asia alone has 500 billion potential reasons)

even if it stops to grow , WP will NEVER die , MS will support it an other 10years even if 90% of the users bring there phone back...

mango was a HUGE things .... good god if you think it wanst HUGE you missed out on ALLOT OF INFO! and i URGE you to read the full break down of features in my *update section*

... keep in mind if the things YOU wanted dint come , it doesn't mean it dint get big things!!! i for one only use quick resume from mango LOL (out of 500 features)

and Apollo ,, its not like mango .... its a FULL upgrade .. 7 to 8!

ether way , im not going any where. even if im the last WP user int he world!!

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I hear you. I'm in the same boat and am patiently waiting to see what happens with Windows Phone. I love my Lumia 710, and being on T-Mobile prepaid gives me a LOT of options to hop onto the device and OS of choice. If Windows Phone stays failing (which so far is looking like the case) I will also switch to iOS because Android is too buggy, laggy, and has horrible battery life. I have an iPhone 4 32gb that I am just using as an iPod and gaming device right now, but if things turn out bad for Windows Phone then yea.....

I honestly wish webOS had succeeded because that is still my favorite OS to this day, but Windows Phone takes the simplistic approach and created a smooth lag-free experience, which is why it is my OS of choice as of now (and I hate Apple with a passion). I think the main problems for Windows Phone are :

1. They are taking FOREVER with updates and progress because they are bowing down to the carriers. I think they are just giving into the carriers because they know that carriers have a lot of power when it comes to the sales of their devices. However, carriers have obviously given Windows Phone the cold shoulder so Microsoft SHOULD be saying "to heck with the carriers then and we will bypass them and go the Apple route and update the phones ourselves". IMO we should ALL be seeing at least one update a month, which would show us that Microsoft does care and is working to at least IMPROVE the OS instead of waiting for one huge update that will be filled with bugs anyway that will require MORE updates just to keep it up. If I saw at least one update a month it would be much harder for me to even consider another OS....

2. They obviously aren't advertising (or doing a very good job) AND they named the OS WINDOWS PHONE! Why would you do that. Anytime I mention a Windows Phone and that I have one people always say "I remember those....I used to have one and it freezes all the time and crashed a lot". Then I show them my Lumia and they're like what's that....?

3. They're making it hard for developers to developer for the platform because of all the restrictions, which is resulting in a lot of worthless apps (webOS all over again, except a higher number).

If Windows Phone fails (which I do see it failing mainly for the reasons above) then I will jump to iOS unless someone takes what's left of webOS and makes something good of it or Android gets completely re-written from the ground up.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia has sold really well in europe. And nokia has struggled here the past years. Yes i know they are a european company but they have mostly been selling phones in asia. Lumia was the first one in almost a year that made it on to telias top ten list (big carrier in scandinavia) and it has sold better then expected according to 3. And 3 is one of the biggest carriers in europe.. So i tihnk it has done well here

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Like I did with webOS, I'll ride it out until the end. Whenever that may be. I take an opposite approach, though. I really think WP7 is going to do well.

^^ This.

I have no doubt in Windows Phones gradual and eventual large market share as a platform. I think Windows 8 is also going to be a hit. But hypothetically, if I truly thought it was going to die, I'd still choose to enjoy it as long as I could because I think the whole design of it is THAT much better.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I hear you. I'm in the same boat and am patiently waiting to see what happens with Windows Phone. I love my Lumia 710, and being on T-Mobile prepaid gives me a LOT of options to hop onto the device and OS of choice. If Windows Phone stays failing (which so far is looking like the case) I will also switch to iOS because Android is too buggy, laggy, and has horrible battery life. I have an iPhone 4 32gb that I am just using as an iPod and gaming device right now, but if things turn out bad for Windows Phone then yea.....

I honestly wish webOS had succeeded because that is still my favorite OS to this day, but Windows Phone takes the simplistic approach and created a smooth lag-free experience, which is why it is my OS of choice as of now (and I hate Apple with a passion). I think the main problems for Windows Phone are :

1. They are taking FOREVER with updates and progress because they are bowing down to the carriers. I think they are just giving into the carriers because they know that carriers have a lot of power when it comes to the sales of their devices. However, carriers have obviously given Windows Phone the cold shoulder so Microsoft SHOULD be saying "to heck with the carriers then and we will bypass them and go the Apple route and update the phones ourselves". IMO we should ALL be seeing at least one update a month, which would show us that Microsoft does care and is working to at least IMPROVE the OS instead of waiting for one huge update that will be filled with bugs anyway that will require MORE updates just to keep it up. If I saw at least one update a month it would be much harder for me to even consider another OS....

2. They obviously aren't advertising (or doing a very good job) AND they named the OS WINDOWS PHONE! Why would you do that. Anytime I mention a Windows Phone and that I have one people always say "I remember those....I used to have one and it freezes all the time and crashed a lot". Then I show them my Lumia and they're like what's that....?

3. They're making it hard for developers to developer for the platform because of all the restrictions, which is resulting in a lot of worthless apps (webOS all over again, except a higher number).

If Windows Phone fails (which I do see it failing mainly for the reasons above) then I will jump to iOS unless someone takes what's left of webOS and makes something good of it or Android gets completely re-written from the ground up.

1. they are taking forever on update? WP updates faster then Android, IOS , and all other currently on the market...( i break it down in my update section), APPLE has the BIGGEST problems EVER with update , eve thing crash cause they have a ****y over loaded system , and dont even get me started with ANDROIDs Upgrade system, GOD!! lol

2. every single MS commercials has a WP in it ( i see easy 5 a day and i barely watch TV ). they advertise the OS not the phones ,, thats RTM's / EOM's jobs ( one of the reason you see nokia do so much is cause of the 8billion MS gave them)

3. making it hard! are you kidding me , WP has the BEST developing support out of ALL the OS. if dev's make shiity apps its not MS's fault .. if it was MS's fault ALL THE APPS would be shiity

seem like you need to get a WP refresher going: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/181501.htm

Last edited:

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
1. they are taking forever on update? what are you kiding me , WP updates faster then Android, IOS , and all other currently on the market...( i break it down in my update section), APPLE has the BIGGEST problems EVER with update , eve thing crash cause they have a ****y over loaded system , and dont even get me started with ANDROIDs Upgrade system, GOD!! lol

2. every single MS commercials has a WP in it. they advertise the OS not the phones ,, thats RTM's / EOM's jobs ( one of the reason you s e nokia do so much is cause of the 8billion MS gave them)

3. making it hard! are you kidding me , WP has the BEST developing support out of ALL the OS. if dev's make shiity apps its not MS's fault .. if it was MS's fault ALL THE APPS would be shiity

seem like you need to get a WP refresher going: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/181501.htm

Although they have technically had quicker update schedules that's still not as sufficient IMO because Windows Phone started out behind and is STILL currently behind the competition with a lot of features. While it does have features that OS's don't have that make it stand apart (which is why it is currently my OS of choice), they still should be updating it a little more frequently IMO. For example, things like Speech-to-text and server-side things could be updated behind the scenes without Microsoft even having to update the phones or Bing Maps. My point is that it seems like Microsoft is dragging their feet with a lot of things.

Microsoft does have great developer support (I am currently trying to write an app, and they provide a great start for beginning developers), but when I say they make it hard for developers I am talking about how much access they give to the OS. For example, why don't you see hardcore games like Modern Combat and all the cool games that iOS and Android have? Or even a Citrix application for that matter. Yes, a lot of it has to do with Windows Phone's marketshare, but it also has to do with the restrictions Microsoft have put up in relation to the OS and developing for it.

Again, IMO their biggest crutch is the actual name of the OS itself. I just don't get why they would call it WINDOWS PHONE; the only thing that differentiates it from Windows Mobile is the word "phone" which is like....nothing that screams that it's different from the days of Windows Mobile. Even something like "XBox Phone" would be better. Yes, it would be a little misleading because it isn't actually a phone that plays games just like an Xbox, but at least it would draw people to it due to the success of the XBox 360.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah i understand they they are *behind* in missing features ,,, keep in mind android and IOS5 took some WP feature too doh ;) lol... but your right on that.

well glad to see your developing for Wp :) hope it turns out good for you :)

the reason for some hardcore games missing is because MS doesn't give native access to developers to bring in different engines. ( there was an article on this ) and some studios will have more access then others in the future i think ( Unreal engine style )

hopping allot of does things hit in WP8 ( witch seems to be a HUGE game changer with the new kirnels , and better integration!!!

yeah and the name is ... simple , witch causes allot of confusion. with WP and WM and i agree with that , even today i have people confusing them both . lol

Xbox phone wouldn't of worked because its not gona be a Xbox phone ,, it is a WINDOWS phone . but maybe they should of concentrated on XBL h a little more

i think the big problem is they try to support to many things at once : Business , Xbox , personal , family , PHONE( lol ) ect.. and by doing this they neglect ALLOT of features/options.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I only felt unsure in the beginning, around December 2010/January 2011, but since then, I don't think I can look back at iOS. Windows Phone needs a lot of improvement, and I don't think we'll see a solid game changer until Apollo.

That said, I don't have a reason to jump ship. I don't spend my time seeking apps, I spend it on FB, YouTube, email, call/texting, some games, listening to music, and reading news. The UI is good, it gets the job done and you can always wake up knowing your phone will work. The same applies to a lot of my friends and colleagues who might own BB, Android or even iOS, they just don't care. Except for some people, I don't see most average people investing all that much time into their phones.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
yeah i understand they they are *behind* in missing features ,,, keep in mind android and IOS5 took some WP feature too doh ;) lol... but your right on that.

well glad to see your developing for Wp :) hope it turns out good for you :)

the reason for some hardcore games missing is because MS doesn't give native access to developers to bring in different engines. ( there was an article on this ) and some studios will have more access then others in the future i think ( Unreal engine style )

hopping allot of does things hit in WP8 ( witch seems to be a HUGE game changer with the new kirnels , and better integration!!!

yeah and the name is ... simple , witch causes allot of confusion. with WP and WM and i agree with that , even today i have people confusing them both . lol

Xbox phone wouldn't of worked because its not gona be a Xbox phone ,, it is a WINDOWS phone . but maybe they should of concentrated on XBL h a little more

i think the big problem is they try to support to many things at once : Business , Xbox , personal , family , PHONE( lol ) ect.. and by doing this they neglect ALLOT of features/options.

Unity engine for games will be able to be ported over for WP gamess great step forward!!!

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Apple introduced a phone at a time when a need had not been exploited. At the time of the first Apple Windows Mobile was a pretty good fit for business and better in many ways. I remember buying the Windows Mobile over Blackberry for example due to push email and the high cost of Blackberry at the time. Apple got better Microsoft went of to developer a better phone and got lost along the way.

Android then came and exploited the market that Apple developed overtaking Apple.

Microsoft finally come back with a good OS as it turns out but into a new market which is growing in leaps and bounds but the market penetrations numbers are not going to bode so well it is going to take longer to get to Androids 4% market share in just over a year. That said if the measure is unit sales then it does not look so bad.

Is it down and out after is first year? Nah! I think a lot of people expected another Apple or Android market share grab but this is never going to happen both brands are competent and cater for its markets well. Microsoft will gather market share though and 2012 is the year it will do it. Look at all the areas of the world Nokia is introducing to the WP then look at the number 8... Stare at it a while because it is not just the Chinese that think that is a lucky number.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
there are or is some things that really tick me off about the OS...But I rather use it than the big two... Unlike the bit two i can not use my apps on the PC Rather we will have to buy both win8 and wp8 to do that, we should be doing it now. the other things are why in gods name do we have to be stuck on 16gb blows my mind.. we have this awesome OS and yet it can not equal what the big two have and that alone is mind blowing. the other factor is not so much OS related but if your not on AT&T you are stuck with a first gen device or a mid-range device. i'm on T-MO and have yet to get the update that fixes the keyboard from going bye bye...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
there are or is some things that really tick me off about the OS...But I rather use it than the big two... Unlike the bit two i can not use my apps on the PC Rather we will have to buy both win8 and wp8 to do that, we should be doing it now. the other things are why in gods name do we have to be stuck on 16gb blows my mind.. we have this awesome OS and yet it can not equal what the big two have and that alone is mind blowing. the other factor is not so much OS related but if your not on AT&T you are stuck with a first gen device or a mid-range device. i'm on T-MO and have yet to get the update that fixes the keyboard from going bye bye...

what do you mean: * unlike the bit two i can not use my apps on the PC*

its like that for apple as well... actually Windows will be the only one doing PC+Phone+tablets
apple can only do Phone+tablet and so can android.
did you mean this as a positive thing? or did i read that wrong?

the Memory is 100$ marketing ( FYI, my phone is at 48Gb , lol )
95% of the people getting phones buy phones with 16GB or LESS!! look at iphone at my carrier:

70%= 8G , 20%= 16G, 5%=32Gb, 5%=64G ( does are more or less the stats at my carrier )

so MS did the SMART thing and went after a BIG market instead of pleasing the random joe like you and me. an other reason i got the Samsung Focus :p ( external SD card )

as for carriers , well the carrier is a uphill battle MS , and OEM have been fighting from the start.

for example here at BELL ( in Canada ) if the phone doesn't have duel-core we dont want it.
so we stopped selling WP :( stupid , but that's what it is. hopefully when we get duel-core will start carrying them again!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You can develop on android and BB for free. You cannot on ups and windows phone. Microsoft didn't have the clout to demand registration for developers IMO. That's why we have useless apps. They're charging the pros (who already are supporting iOS and android) and giving it to college lid basement coders for free.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm in it for the long haul. Even if the O/S doesn't take off (personally I think it will) then that doesn't change the fact that it works for me when the alternatives really don't so, for that reason alone I see no reason to not stick with this one as long as it's around.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Again, IMO their biggest crutch is the actual name of the OS itself. I just don't get why they would call it WINDOWS PHONE; the only thing it would draw people to it due to the success of the XBox 360.
The only response I have ever gotten from anyone I have told I am using a Windows Phone (or Windows Mobile for that matter) is, "Windows makes phones?".

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting to see what Apollo will bring. If Apollo impresses me, I'll continue to ride the boat. If it doesn't, I'll jump and then check back at the end of 2014 ;)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For me to abandon ship these things need to happen.

1-Windows Phone 8 being lame.
2-Google changing by some miracle so they don't look at everything I do and update their phones.
3- Apple to have multiple sexy phones and a more fresh UI.

Sadly there's no perfect OS.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
This ship doesn't sink your talking about Microsoft and Nokia they will find a way to get it done. Ballmer might not be a tech guy but he is a market expert he knows what hes doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb