ride the boat till it sinks, or jump ship?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The only response I have ever gotten from anyone I have told I am using a Windows Phone (or Windows Mobile for that matter) is, "Windows makes phones?".

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Yeah, I don't think the name is a problem. It's just that people don't even know that Windows Phone exists.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Sink? Surely you jest?

MSFT has thought ahead with this project, just as they did with the Xbox. They have billions to keep WP going. It might take a while to get a decent marketshare, it's a saturated market, but MSFT is in it for the long haul. W8 will surely bring more attention to the platform, especially if the Metro experience is taken well. I'm in the Windows Phone boat until another boat offers me something better, but I don't see that happening for a few more years at least.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I stuck with webos until the bitter end
Hopefully the open source guys get their stuff together and resurrect webos from the dead

Only then would I move away from windows phone 7
I do homebrew, and support for .net is the reason why i have a windows phone

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I am sticking with WP as long as I think it is the best phone for me. I couldn't care less if the platform is failing even if I was the last WP user on Earth. This is from the user point of view. However as a developer...

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
whos going to ride this all the way to the end? i love windows phones and the whole idea of it... but i dont see a bright future for it. ios continues to grow exponantially, android is still a giant, blackberry is about to fall all the way out, web os is already gone, and now windows continues to hold on by a thread... so in the event it doesnt make it, whos riding this to the end? and whos jumping ship before it sinks? ( if it does)

i personally am riding it to the end... after that, ill probably go back to iphone =(

not trying to be negatyive nancy, but stats arent looking good... stats may not mean much either, but i really thought after mango, i would see big things happeneing... and i dont... (given they are trying with ads) now, i hear big things when apollo hits, but ive heard that before...

A couple of points in your statement need to be challenged.

BlackBerry has had a rough year, but with 75 million units in service, it's a stretch to say that it's about to "fall all the way out." It has taken a beating in North America, but is still in first place in the UK and is strong in many other markets. BlackBerry's BIS uses data compression, which is very attractive in the many, many markets where unlimited data plans don't exist.

In fact, before WP can even think about competing with Android or iOS, it must first do better than BB, and at the moment it isn't even close.

BB10 is expected around the same time as Apollo.

With that out of the way, I'll say that MS seems to be making the right moves. The WP Marketplace is growing at a brisk pace, and that's a good sign. Tango will make the OS available to more modest hardware, which will allow it to compete directly with BB in the developing world. WP is not currently fragmented the way Android is, and perhaps can avoid that fate. WP has imitated some of the best features of the iOS experience.

We all want more features. Personally, I hope that MS will be careful not to grow the OS so quickly that it orphans the devices we all have. If WP follows that path, they take away one good reason not to go with Android.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
1. they are taking forever on update? WP updates faster then Android, IOS , and all other currently on the market...( i break it down in my update section), APPLE has the BIGGEST problems EVER with update , eve thing crash cause they have a ****y over loaded system , and dont even get me started with ANDROIDs Upgrade system, GOD!! lol

2. every single MS commercials has a WP in it ( i see easy 5 a day and i barely watch TV ). they advertise the OS not the phones ,, thats RTM's / EOM's jobs ( one of the reason you see nokia do so much is cause of the 8billion MS gave them)

3. making it hard! are you kidding me , WP has the BEST developing support out of ALL the OS. if dev's make shiity apps its not MS's fault .. if it was MS's fault ALL THE APPS would be shiity

seem like you need to get a WP refresher going: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/181501.htm

Dude, nobody can take you seriously when you can't even acknowledge a single flaw with WP or MS.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
well, i will say this. i have had a ton of different devices (usually 3-4 per year for the past 6 years). from the OG iphone at release to ICS to blackberry to webOS, to symbian, to OG palm. windows 7 has been a better experience than any of them. and the focus s has been a better phone that even some of the proclaimed "best phones out there" that i have owned (better than my nexus s, better than my iphone 4, etc). wp7 has a great shot, M$ does seem to be losing the steam they had at the end of last year, but, you are seeing more an more wp7. it's a tough running they have, they are fighting the capabilities of android and the fad that is apple, but M$ has the chance to gain considerably on the competition. especially now with google privacy debacle that has a lot of users who have multiple accounts with google up in arms and a lot of ios users are starting to realize apple's marketing scam by creating a device sub-par, then releasing a new one 6 months later with what the previous device should have had.

i was a long time ios and android user. i tried using an iphone yesterday and it just looked like a playskool toy phone. tried using my nexus s and it was just such a horrible laggy box of mixed nuts. i had a long time iphone user play around with my focus s last night at the bar and he was amazed at how smooth and responsive it was.

i don't see wp7 failing unless M$ loses their steam. they need to just keep on moving and marketing, but expand farther than gadget shows. they need to keep up with give aways to convert some devs competitor users. and they need to get apollo released, or at least a comment on the changes and clarify some question as to whether or not it will work on 1st and 2nd gen phones.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
A couple of points in your statement need to be challenged.

BlackBerry has had a rough year, but with 75 million units in service, it's a stretch to say that it's about to "fall all the way out." It has taken a beating in North America, but is still in first place in the UK and is strong in many other markets. BlackBerry's BIS uses data compression, which is very attractive in the many, many markets where unlimited data plans don't exist.

In fact, before WP can even think about competing with Android or iOS, it must first do better than BB, and at the moment it isn't even close.

BB10 is expected around the same time as Apollo.

With that out of the way, I'll say that MS seems to be making the right moves. The WP Marketplace is growing at a brisk pace, and that's a good sign. Tango will make the OS available to more modest hardware, which will allow it to compete directly with BB in the developing world. WP is not currently fragmented the way Android is, and perhaps can avoid that fate. WP has imitated some of the best features of the iOS experience.

We all want more features. Personally, I hope that MS will be careful not to grow the OS so quickly that it orphans the devices we all have. If WP follows that path, they take away one good reason not to go with Android.
the only thing keeping BB afloat is the enterprise world. you are not seeing the common person using blackberry, only corporations. and even corporations are steering away from BB for ios now. BB10 will not matter, the corporate world doesn't care about updates, they care about budget, capabilities and compatibility.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Couple of points:

(1) The "Windows" brand has enormous value for Microsoft because of its name recognition, market penetration and professional image. It would have been a bigger risk for Microsoft to not use the Windows name for its mobile OS.

(2) Microsoft needs to be advertising the **** out of WP7. I loved the "Really?" ad campaign and thought it was clever and effective. Advertising works if the ads are memorable. Microsoft should ramp up the marketing effort dramatically, as soon as possible.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?y15xic

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Dude, nobody can take you seriously when you can't even acknowledge a single flaw with WP or MS.

First of all I wasn't saying it doesn't have flaw , and im sorry if it's hard to take me seriously when I state facts....

And if you would have read my second post after that, you would have avoided a this comment.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

Last edited:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
whos going to ride this all the way to the end? i love windows phones and the whole idea of it... but i dont see a bright future for it. ios continues to grow exponantially, android is still a giant, blackberry is about to fall all the way out, web os is already gone, and now windows continues to hold on by a thread... so in the event it doesnt make it, whos riding this to the end? and whos jumping ship before it sinks? ( if it does)

i personally am riding it to the end... after that, ill probably go back to iphone =(

not trying to be negatyive nancy, but stats arent looking good... stats may not mean much either, but i really thought after mango, i would see big things happeneing... and i dont... (given they are trying with ads) now, i hear big things when apollo hits, but ive heard that before...
Having read many of your comments / posts / etc Android or IOS is probably a better fit for you. You carry such an emotional attachment to what is nothing more than a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I like this thread...good points from various aspects and perspectives.

I think WP will be around for a while. Microsoft knows that this is a market they need to participate. With so many different client devices that's out there, it's all about connectivity, data sharing, and integration of entire ecosystems. I think of the following when I say ecosystems:
  1. Windows PC: I think the Windows PC that we know today will still be around for a long time. People will continue to use them, even though there are other devices out there. I remember when Linux came out, people said Windows will be gone, Linux will replace Windows...blob...blob. Obviously, that didn't happen. And of course, there's the Mac OS.
  2. Tablets: By tablets, I mean iPad, Transformer, and etc.. Not the Tablet PCs. Most people would say this is a data consumption device. And that most people will not create a whole lot of new content on it. That may be the case...but if your friend uploads picture and videos to some site, you may want to view them from your tablet
  3. Console: I think this is about controlling the TV. The point is, how do people watch their TV shows. I think MS realize that the TV is one of the main hubs of the family. And using the XBOX360 or PS3 is one of those ways to play in this field. Ten there's Google TV and Apple TV as well.
  4. Phone: This is all about mobility. How do you provide services to the consumer when they are not at home. This is one of the big missing links in the ecosystem. Microsoft needs to play in this market no matter what.

The question in my mind about WP specifically is: Will WP have all the new and popular apps? For example, new Angry Birds is coming out in the near future. Will WP get it when it launches? Or will WP users have to wait for months?

Even the Yelp app on WP is horrible. They really need to fix that thing.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think there is a big enough gap in what Apple iOS and Google Android OS do not fill (in terms of UI functionality, price, performance, and other factors) that it would be very surprising if there isn't a third major mobile OS. RIM Blackberry has been that third mobile OS, but their 2011 troubles put them in a dangerous spot. Right now it appears that third major mobile OS will either be Windows Phone OS or Blackberry BBX/10 OS; if I had to bet I'd predict it would be WP, largely because Microsoft is much further along in ironing out issues with WP OS than RIM is with Blackberry BBX/10 OS.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Having read many of your comments / posts / etc Android or IOS is probably a better fit for you. You carry such an emotional attachment to what is nothing more than a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

really, an emotional attachment? you gathered that from reading a few posts? i have 300+ posts... this thread wasnt designed for people like you to throw in poor attitude , but yet to state an opinion on the future of this platform. but thanks for the advice!

really my concerns stem from all the reading i do... it is difficult to think things are going in the right direction when i keep reading otherwise... i love the platform, but i have legit concerns. i also stated i am riding it till it ends, in which case i will, but i wish things looked a bit more optimistic, thats all.... isnt that a fair statement?

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I like this thread...good points from various aspects and perspectives.

I think WP will be around for a while. Microsoft knows that this is a market they need to participate. With so many different client devices that's out there, it's all about connectivity, data sharing, and integration of entire ecosystems. I think of the following when I say ecosystems:
  1. Console: I think this is about controlling the TV. The point is, how do people watch their TV shows. I think MS realize that the TV is one of the main hubs of the family. And using the XBOX360 or PS3 is one of those ways to play in this field. Ten there's Google TV and Apple TV as well.

The TV/console area IMO is where Microsoft is both most vulnerable and has tremendous opportunities. Within 10 years, I'd be surprised if we didn't see TVs with built-in video game console hardware. I think this is market Apple in particular wants to get into, and Microsoft, as a primarily non-hardware company that does not manufacture TVs (or even monitors), potentially could be vulnerable. On the other hand, Microsoft has established an ecosystem with the XBox 360, and they potentially could leverage that (or perhaps more accurately leverage that to a greater degree) with other devices that include their operating system. The Kinect motion detection system also has potential IMO to possibly be used in much broader manner than just for video games or even televisions. A combination of motion control, voice-activated control, and front-facing cameras could be core elements for televisions/consoles, desktops/laptops, and tablets/hybrid netbooks in the future.

Honestly, I think the distinction between televisions and desktop computers will blur in the future as large, high-definition monitors become more and more common and more people stream video on their "computer" devices. Cable/satellite TV, home internet, and cell phone service providers have already become blurred (some companies, like Verizon, do all three things), so watching television through your computer or doing computer work on a Wi-Fi device while sitting 5-8 feet away from your large-screen HD TV/computer monitor may become commonplace in the future.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think there is a big enough gap in what Apple iOS and Google Android OS do not fill (in terms of UI functionality, price, performance, and other factors) that it would be very surprising if there isn't a third major mobile OS. RIM Blackberry has been that third mobile OS, but their 2011 troubles put them in a dangerous spot. Right now it appears that third major mobile OS will either be Windows Phone OS or Blackberry BBX/10 OS; if I had to bet I'd predict it would be WP, largely because Microsoft is much further along in ironing out issues with WP OS than RIM is with Blackberry BBX/10 OS.

Spot on. At the moment, in North America, WP needs to focus on the battle for third place. Neither BB nor WP is in any position to contend for 2nd place yet. At the moment, BB has 3rd place and WP isn't yet challenging it. Moreover, BB has deep market penetration
in other places, thanks to data compression and the availability of lower-cost models. This provides RIM with a strong revenue stream that enables them to weather the storm in North America. And this is why WP Tango isn't a misstep. It's Microsoft taking dead aim at that revenue stream and trying to carve off a chunk of it.

The notion that BB is only alive because of corporate use is a stereotype. There is still a very large non-corporate user base on BIS, not BES. The fact that it has dwindled in North America doesn't mean that it is vanishing. I teach at a university and I often conduct informal polls of my students to see what devices they have, just for fun. iPhones and Androids certainly predominate, no surprise there, but consistently about 15% have BBs. WP phones are rare.

But you (CHIP72) make the excellent point that Microsoft has a good headstart in working out the problems in WP. So even though BB has a headstart over WP in sheer user numbers, WP could catch up quickly if Apollo is hot and BB10 is late or disappointing.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
When the day comes that WP stops receiving updates or apps then it will be time to jump ship. Right now I enjoy my device more than the competitions and I'm not going to jump ship simply because it's not "cool" to have a WP. Besides, most people's dismissive claims vanish once I show them how "cool" my Titan is. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers