ride the boat till it sinks, or jump ship?

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Remember a time when things looked dark for Apple, too, because they had a tiny sliver of the market, and Microsoft owned the PC world...

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I love it when I with my friends and we put our phones down on the coffee table, all the iPhones look like clones but my Windows Phone is alive and jumps like a puppy with live tiles. It never ceases to grab attention!

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not a fair weather Windows fan. They will be prying my Terrific Trophy from my cold dead hand when the ship sinks! :D

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
well i have my frustrations with WP7, lack of apps that are available on Android and iOS, updates not happening and a few others, but i don't see a better option out there. No OS is perfect.

Now that Nokia are advertising hard and also we are starting to see more variety, and a few more affordable handsets reaching the market, i hope WP7 will start to get some traction, which will hopefully bring more top apps and less carrier indifference.

I'll carry on the ride for now.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I swapped my SIM over the weekend and am using my Quantum as my weekday phone again. (I always have my iPad with me at work in case I need something that WP7 can't do.) WP is a nicer phone OS in a lot of significant ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I will carry on and I don't think this boat will sink, just too much riding on it for MS. The only thing that would sink it is if MS itself goes dowm. If such a thing happens I will rather droid than an ifan.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
great stuff in here! didnt think this post would bring in so much insite! and actually after reading these replies, i am feeling rather optimistic now! it is good to hear positive reinforcement from time to time, and also to know that other people feel the same way. i love the platfrom, and zune is my biggest "ball and chain" keeping me tied to windows phones. i couldnt live without it! my phone is also my mp3 player, which is why i will never own another android. cant even get my genres correct!

none the less, i hope only the best for windows phones, its just at times... all the negative hype brings me down. and i wish we would see more app developement from bigger name devs, like zynga... i am still dumbfounded that some of the big app names arent here yet!

now i need to convince verizon and other carriers to be more like tmobile! they are the only ones really advertising windows phones! heck even att, who pretends to be a flagship carrier for windows phones, by carrying the largest selection of their devices, doesnt advertise them at all!!! there website doesnt promote a single windows phone...

hopefully, MWC 2012 highlights some big updates and devices coming soo as well!!!

Skycop

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Someone would really have to outpace windows for me to switch anytime soon. As far as wp being a sinking ship I disagree. I thinks it's more like a slow moving ship that's about to pick up some serious speed, just not as soon as most of us fanboys like lol.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I am not a fair weather Windows fan. They will be prying my Terrific Trophy from my cold dead hand when the ship sinks! :D

Microsoft should give 5000$ to Trophy owners. That's just love right there. I can't imagine myself suffering for Trophy ownership.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Nokia Lumia phones might end up getting proper enterprise support through Good Technology soon (as in April/May). That will probably help change WP market prospects at least a little given that our OS already has Office Mobile, Exchange/Office 365, SharePoint all native, and of course SkyDrive & Lync apps on top.

I'm sure with the enterprise solution we'll see the black Nokia Lumia 800s and 900s (or even penta-band 710s) attract the attention from many professionals. This is a subtle yet potentially very lucrative push by Nokia, it can make a difference especially when Windows 8 tablets start rolling in and Apollo launches.

Also, to be honest, I don't think the app situation is even that bad. I looked at a bunch of "top iPhone app" lists over the past 2-years, it doesn't really seem as if WP is behind enough to give a regular user pain. The current crop of apps include:

Facebook
Netflix,
WhatsApp,
IM+,
Shazam,
Amazon Kindle,
Vevo,
FourSquare,
Flixster,
Twitter
Vimeo
Daily Motion
Fox News
RunKeeper
EBay
Dictionary.com

Some very good 3rd party alternatives like

YouTube Pro,
Carbon,
4th & Mayor,
BBC News Mobile.

Not a bad gaming portfolio either:

Angry Birds (sadly without additions)
Plants vs. Zombies
Fruit Ninja
Parachute Panic
Doodle Jump
+
The Harvest
Tentacles
Kinectimals

Can't forget the Nokia goodies either (though limited in availability):

Drive
Maps
TuneIn Radio
CNN
ESPN
WRC Live

...and the crop coming soon:

Nokia Transport
Nokia Reading
Nokia exclusive EA titles

Just to add, the ones I really like in addition to the above:

FlashVideo for WP7 (you can play PutLocker, VideoBB, Videozer, etc links on your phone)
Nextgen Reader
My Encyclopedia
IN+ Networking (for LinkedIn)
Armed
Bouncy Mouse
Blue Tomato
Word Arena

Our app situation isn't bad, and it's borderline good IMO, to say the least...of course serious improvements are needed, especially with Angry Birds.

The only people I can see upset at the lack of a couple very specific apps are those who are just too tied into their eco-systems, it's like telling a WP user who absolutely adores their Live Tiles to go and adopt iOS as it is now. Heck they won't even pick up Tango as their sole phone.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should give 5000$ to Trophy owners. That's just love right there. I can't imagine myself suffering for Trophy ownership.

i thought the same thing until i got one winterfang... the trophy is not a sub par phone, it actually is verry nice! it is comparible to any other windows phones with the exception of the brand new ones. i would pick this over, hd7-focus-surround-and arrive...

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll be here till the end, just like webOS. The only difference is that Microsoft has a lot more money to throw behind it than Palm did with webOS, and once Windows 8 hits I think it will increase mindshare which *should* increase marketshare.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
No offence intended, Dizzymaker. I guess we all see things very differently, but having been with WP since Nodo was released, I can feel the platform starting to take off now; which is the opposite to the tone of the thread.

:)

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i was feeling a little depressed by some recent reading... im tired of all of the negative publicity. mostly with developers not willing to work on this platform yet. i have also been here since nodo , although i left for a few months , i came back... but i am glad i created this thread because it created a lot of fresh insight, and positive reinforcement...

maybe a little strange though big supes

p.s. also a big superman fan, he is my wallpaper and current theme... :cool:

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I see where you're coming from now, Dizzy. I wouldn't let those articles get you down. Sure, these devs can be frustrating, but any serious app developer will reassess their thinking once WP has a nice chunk of the market share... and that my friend is inevitable. :)

Nice to hear you're also a Superman fan!! :)

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft are stuck in a really bad place at the moment.

Theres a bad perception (that isn't necessarily true), that WP7 lacks apps, and the apps that do exist, are more expensive than on iOS/Android.

The WP7 marketshare delays apps coming to WP7, and the lack of apps holds back marketshare.

Im sure i read recently Microsoft were hiring an army of indian devs to write apps for WP7. That could be a genius move.

Only other thing Microsoft need to do, is ramp up the bing services anywhere but the US. Just looking at the WP7 suggestions site, and there are soo many people moaning that Bing is useless in their country, and they can't use google services.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss