Interested in switching to WP7 from Android - Need the following

zunezune

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I am interested in swapping over to WP7 from Android. I did some searching but couldn't find a solution to these features. Do you have any suggestions?

Things I need
- SMS notification reminder. I have my current phone set to beep at a set interval until I open the message.
- Private inbox for text messages. I have a password set inbox for certain numbers (this is going to be my work device as well)
- Tethering (preferably wireless). I'd imagine this is a per device basis but it looks like both the Titan 2 and Lumia 900 do.

Things I would like
- A better browser. I find that IE sometimes has an issue recognizing that I should be getting the mobile version of a website. Some things do not work too such as yahoo's homepage articles and the "jump to" function on news.google.com
- Can you really not connect to a hidden network? Seems silly to me.
- Is it possible to retain notifications in the drop down bar like Android? Just a habit and not a huge deal.

Things I am confused about
- Are there quicker ways to turn off bluetooth/wifi and change the ringer/vibrate? I downloaded Connectivity Shortcuts and that can do the trick. Seems like something that should be integrated into the OS. Although I guess iOS doesn't have it either.
- Zune Pass integration with Zune. Say I download an album (do not purchase) and I cancel my account. What happens to those songs? Disappear? Don't work?

With that said there are lots of things I love and would really like to switch. Exchange support is so much better than Android, its really smooth and Fluid and the Zune software rocks.

Titan 2 or Lumia 900? I am going from a 4.5" Samsung Infuse and love big screens. In fact if I stick with Android, I am probably going to get that ludicrous Note.

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Based on your post you may not be satisfied with WP, as you have become accustomed to certain features in Android. On the other hand, if you you were to embrace the "features" of WP in the the same way, the things you are losing might become insignificant.

-Hidden network was resolved with the Mango update.
-I use Network Dashboard to toggle radios on/off, but honestly after extensive testing I discovered that WiFi for example, only consumes about 4% per day while active in the background. So I never turn it off. Have not tested Bluetooth but I bet the results will be similar.
-When you end your Zune subscription, you lose access to all DRM protected music.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with the 900, just cuz it's so damn sexy, but given you're all about massive devices the Titan is probably the phone for you. WP has a different way of doing things from Android. There's no way around that. I would take advantage of ATT's 30 day exchange. Try out whichever device you choose, and if you can't acclimate, just take it back and get the Note or whatever. If you really try to get into it, you may find you don't miss Android at all. Or you may find WP isn't for you. At least you'll know. And kudos for being open-minded enough to try!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
- Private inbox for text messages. I have a password set inbox for certain numbers (this is going to be my work device as well)

Good gosh, Do you work for the CIA or are you trying to hide SMS messages from your mistress? :D

On a serious note, I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, and i have no idea how to do that with the stock Android OS. Is this an application?

zunezune

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Good gosh, Do you work for the CIA or are you trying to hide SMS messages from your mistress? :D

On a serious note, I have a Samsung Galaxy S II, and i have no idea how to do that with the stock Android OS. Is this an application?
Ok, 4% battery drain is not an issue. I'll cut that out....just used to my Infuse sucking battery life if it can't find a wireless network.

I have a LG Quantum that I borrowed for the weekend and I am using it as my primary device. Looks like the Hidden Network thing is phone specific too. I certainly can't do it on this thing.

Haha, well I don't want any...inappropriate, shall we say....texts to come through while my phone is just sitting on my desk. I manage a help desk, people coming and going all day long. :) I use GoSMS for texting on my android phone. I get both the notification reminders and private inbox from that app.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
- SMS notification reminder. I have my current phone set to beep at a set interval until I open the message.

- A better browser. I find that IE sometimes has an issue recognizing that I should be getting the mobile version of a website. Some things do not work too such as yahoo's homepage articles and the "jump to" function on news.google.com

- Is it possible to retain notifications in the drop down bar like Android? Just a habit and not a huge deal.

- Are there quicker ways to turn off bluetooth/wifi and change the ringer/vibrate? I downloaded Connectivity Shortcuts and that can do the trick. Seems like something that should be integrated into the OS. Although I guess iOS doesn't have it either.

Titan 2 or Lumia 900? I am going from a 4.5" Samsung Infuse and love big screens. In fact if I stick with Android, I am probably going to get that ludicrous Note.

Thanks for any suggestions guys!

I switched from Android recently and I can tell you not having a reminder, be it blinking LED or beep, for text messages and emails is painful. I miss it terribly. It was just so easy to look at my EVO 3D and see if there were new things waiting for me. I have found, however, that WP7 will blink the LED if you miss a call. On my phone, at least.

There are no other browsers available. IE is it. There are browser addons that enable more features like tabs and such, but they all use the IE engine.

As best I can tell it is not possible to retain notifications.

Connectivity Shortcuts is the fastest way I know to manage wireless connections. I don't know why WP7 makes it so hard to enable/disable various wireless parts of the phone.

My wife has a Lumia 710, and if the 900 retains the high build quality and luxurious screen, the 900 is going to be a stunner. The Titan (original) had real big troubles with microphone qualities. See the Titan forum for more on this. I hope HTC irons out those problems for the Titan II. To me, the 900 would be better, as I like the 4.3" screens. Anything larger is just too unwieldy and doesn't fit into shirt pockets well.

Since you're possibly coming from Android and I did come from Android, I should tell you I am happy with my switch. App stability is a lot better, from what I can tell. WP7 just 'feels' better to me. The virtual keyboard is a lot better than the Android KB. Having to use Zune to do anything for the phone is very clunky, though. I don't like that at all, but I am dealing with it.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Having both a wp7 phone and an Android phone, I can tell you confidently that you can leave Bluetooth and WiFi on all day on a Windows phone and you won't see much battery drain at all. Set it and forget it. Its a must to constantly toggle these networks on and off on Android so I see why you'd be nervous.

Ohgeez10

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Currently have an HTC Radar and HTC Amaze (android).

What I miss the most is my google navigation but I can tell you that I enjoy using WP7 more than android.

Too adress the privacy issue on text messages...my work around is using my Google voice number and using GoVoic app. When you go to the settings in GoVoice, you can choose Do Not Disturb. The messages will go to that app and not your native text messaging. I pinned GoVoice to my screen and its sitting at the bottom. When i scroll down there, the live tile will tell you how many messages you have. From there you can respond to the text or call the person. Hope this helps. :cool:

P.S. i love GOSMS for android. That privacy feature is awesome. passwrod protect as well.

zunezune

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
After playing around with the Windows 8 Beta, I want a Windows phone even more. I really like a lot of what it has to offer.

I will have to check out the GoVoic tip. Basically it has all boiled down to needing Private SMS and notification reminders. Everything else seems to be resolved.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
- I find that IE sometimes has an issue recognizing that I should be getting the mobile version of a website.
I think that it's the website not recognizing IE as the mobile version. Because IE for WP still has such a small market share, many site devs haven't yet included its "user agent" into their mobile logic.

- Are there quicker ways to turn off bluetooth/wifi...
I think that some of this is a philosophical difference between the creators of WP7 and the creators of WM6 and Android. In their second attempt at a mobile OS Microsoft seems committed to the idea that we should be able to use our phones without having to administer them.

MS would ask why you want to turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off/on all the time instead of just leaving it on. Of course, the answer is almost always because we want to preserve battery life. Two days ago I work up, unplugged my phone (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on) at 6am, used it all day (some phone calling with about half over Bluetooth, lots of web browsing, just a tiny bit of gaming), and forgot to plug it in overnight. The next morning I had 34% battery left.

For those of us used to a more hands-on experience with our phones, Microsoft's WP philosophy feels disconcerting because we lose control. I don't want to sound like an apologist, but once you let go of that feeling, you can really appreciate what a good job they did in some areas. (I conside Live Tiles an extension of this philosophy: the Start screen is like a dashboard -- a quick way to see what's going on without much effort. It can provide much more info than Apple will let apps expose without the complexity of layout and interaction that can come with the variety of Android UI shells and widgets.)

... and change the ringer/vibrate?
This one is easy. Press one of the volume keys then tap the ringer icon button on the right -- it toggles between vibrate and your normal ring (or ring+vib). That button does not let you switch to full silent, but one of the Settings does.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
My sister went from a nexus s to a focus flash, said it took some getting used to, but likes the windows phone way more, faster, easier to use and live with day to day. Hasn't had to reboot it once yet, been 2 months

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The lack of LED notifications really isn't a problem with me coming from WM6.x. Its just one less thing to drain the battery and all notifications for texts and emails show up on the lock screen. To hide SMS from others you can password protect the phone,always keep your phone within arms reach, or use a separate texting app such as TextMe, I'm sure GoSMS will also make its way to WP since TextMe did.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you aren't set to IE desktop mode?

As for the text I don't get it, how are people reading them? You lock your phone right? Do you just let people browse your phone or what?

Also make sure your quantum is updated to mango. I've bought no less than five windows phones used in the last few weeks, and four of them weren't updated to mango yet. one was actually still the very first launch version. Maybe that's why you're missing hidden WiFi. When I get home I'll check the quantum I have.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
MS would ask why you want to turn Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off/on all the time instead of just leaving it on. Of course, the answer is almost always because we want to preserve battery life. Two days ago I work up, unplugged my phone (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on) at 6am, used it all day (some phone calling with about half over Bluetooth, lots of web browsing, just a tiny bit of gaming), and forgot to plug it in overnight. The next morning I had 34% battery left.

Which device do you have?! My HD7 would be DOA by the next morning! I've been up for 25 minutes, and on these forums the whole time, and I've already lost 14%! Man, I need to upgrade...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Which device do you have?! My HD7 would be DOA by the next morning! I've been up for 25 minutes, and on these forums the whole time, and I've already lost 14%! Man, I need to upgrade...

My HD7 also isn't great, but I also think that's something to do with it's age. As I could be hanging on for Apollo devices, I may purchase an uprated battery to help boost it's life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12