We should all let Microsoft know how we feel about the update process...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, its the other way round, in NA at least. They said this and no WP site picked up on it, probably because they didnt want to upset the carriers. If Nokia has made a turnaround that would be great but I doubt it.

Nokia Abandoning Unlocked Strategy in Favor of Selling Phones Through Carriers

well they dont mention Canada , we still have hope :p lol , i dont really care doh i got my upgrade comming up and a Nice Lunia 900!!! haha and my carrier actually rolls out updates on time , lol

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile does a really good job pushing out updates. They released 8107 weeks ago. Shame they lack the higher end WPs. Sprint and Verizon clearly don't care about Windows Phone. AT&T says they're the "premier" Windows Phone carrier but they sure don't act like it. But I tell ya,T-Mo getting all that spectrum thanks to that failed buyout attempt by AT&T, their network is looking better and better.

Not quite. 8107 was only released to the Radar. Not any other T-Mobile WP7 device. Like my HTC HD7 or my wife's Lumia 710...

*sigh*

Carriers totally suck.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Switch to iOS because of their update process? Lol

Edit - for some reason people don't seem to be understanding that the veto ability only applies to minor updates.

well

first of all:

- there are reasons why carrier roll out updates and NOT MS directly. beside this only affect us on major updates ( Nodo , mango , tango , apollo ) anything in between is 100% RTM or OEM's fault for being slow , not MS.

( my carrier launch ALL the updates im not missing one , lucky Canada i guess)

- you should e-mail AT&T not MS ( MS rolls out the update to all carriers at same time,) At&T already has the key bored update/ Tethering and all that goodness....

its ether not out yet cause AT&T simply sucks (lol ) or because of the QUEUE system they have to prevent problems like apple

( and honestly i know at lease 20people that had problems with the update to Ios 5 +an extra 40clients i spoke too , if that sounds like a good update to you .. lol ok .. )

- Minor carrier updates or OEM updates ( like key bored problem) again most of us got it . e-mail your carrier..

i never waited more then 4 dayz for an update , lucky for us we have force update.

I'm not saying I'm going to switch to an iPhone over updates and I'm not saying people didn't have problems updating to iOS 5 (even though I updated my wife's phone with no problems), but when Apple has an update it is release to all carriers, not AT&T now, Verizon a month later and Sprint somewhere in the middle. I've had a disappearing keyboard since the mango update in September or October, whenever it was. To some it may not be a big deal, but it really screws up the user experience for me. I'm not going to switch phones over the update, but add that to some other things that bug me and I do think about it.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying I'm going to switch to an iPhone over updates and I'm not saying people didn't have problems updating to iOS 5 (even though I updated my wife's phone with no problems), but when Apple has an update it is release to all carriers, not AT&T now, Verizon a month later and Sprint somewhere in the middle. I've had a disappearing keyboard since the mango update in September or October, whenever it was. To some it may not be a big deal, but it really screws up the user experience for me. I'm not going to switch phones over the update, but add that to some other things that bug me and I do think about it.

My thoughts exactly....

I won't switch to an iPhone until I see Microsoft comepletly giving up basically (or if either OS undergoes a dramatic UI overhaul....especially Android)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Bug fixes are what let your users know you care and are at least attempting to make progress, and with people swaying on the edge of getting a different device with a different OS because of lack of options and bugs that never get updated, it's only a recipe for people leaving. I'm not saying Microsoft should give us EVERY SINGLE status update on what they're doing, but it's clear that they know that WE KNOW what OS versions are out there and why.

Again, I'm a Windows Phone user all the way and love the OS, but things are starting to feel a little more Androidish. The OS isn't some unfinished intern-project with Fisher Price cartoon looking grid of icons; it's simple, beautiful, and smoother than even iOS devices. It has elements baked in (Bing Music and Vision are my favs) that are just genious, but when you only have a small percentage of people using that (that even a lot of THOSE USERS are hanging by a thread) then you need to work hard to keep them satisfied.....
Couldn't have said it better myself :)

And that's been my issue all along. If my experience is soured, why would I continue on the platform if things don't get fixed on a timely manner?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
but when Apple has an update it is release to all carriers, not AT&T now, Verizon a month later and Sprint somewhere in the middle.

Apple has all the carriers by the short n curlies. iPhones sell themselves, so the carriers HAVE to do what Apple want, otherwise Apple won't sell them the iPhone, and they'll lose a huge percentage of their business overnight.

Microsoft has no such power. They are currently begging carriers to stock their phones. I bet they are throwing money at the carriers, just to keep the update schedules they have now.

Moan all you like, i can't imagine you carrier will be bothered about losing WP7 business.

To be honest, im wondering whether Microsoft should start detaching as much as possible from the OS, and making it an "App", so that they can get round the carrier limitiations.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Apple has all the carriers by the short n curlies. iPhones sell themselves, so the carriers HAVE to do what Apple want, otherwise Apple won't sell them the iPhone, and they'll lose a huge percentage of their business overnight.

Microsoft has no such power. They are currently begging carriers to stock their phones. I bet they are throwing money at the carriers, just to keep the update schedules they have now.

Moan all you like, i can't imagine you carrier will be bothered about losing WP7 business.

To be honest, im wondering whether Microsoft should start detaching as much as possible from the OS, and making it an "App", so that they can get round the carrier limitiations.

That's basically the Apple model, except the carriers wouldn't "know". Say someone downloads an "App" (which is really an OS update) and start having bugs or problems. They'll take it into their carrier and say "What is wrong with my phone?" and the carriers will see that the OS version is different than what has been "agreed upon" and raise heck to Microsoft. Then again, Windows Phone doesn't have nearly the same problems that Android has (just missing features and functions for now), and I've yet to experience the bugs, lockups, reboots, and battery drain I did with Android; perhaps it would work? Who knows....it's never going to happen though....

The carriers are blackballing Windows Phone right now, but when Windows Phone 8 comes around I believe they'll start to take notice and provide more support. For now, because Windows Phone isn't selling in the states, they aren't caring what happens with your phone or if you leave them because of it for that matter...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

carriers roll out update for apple faster cause they have ONE phone.

the disappearing keyboarded is only happening on ONE WP model out of 20+ :straight:

every single WP model has to go true testing compare to Iphones 1 model.... you cant even compare it to apple ,

if anything, compare it to android not even releasing update on all phones!!! and strait up ignore 90% of them....

WP has a nice middle between apple and Android.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

the disappearing keyboarded is only happening on ONE WP model out of 20+ :straight:

every single WP model has to go true testing compare to Iphones 1 model.... you cant even compare it to apple ,

if anything, compare it to android not even releasing update on all phones!!! and strait up ignore 90% of them....

Apple may have one phone, but I think it's pretty impressive they roll out an update for millions of phones at one time. When iOS 5 was release it was available for all iphone 3GS and 4's that had been sold at the time. That's a very large number of phones. Sure servers crashed and people had problems, but that is several millions of phones updating at a minimum.

As far as the disappearing keyboard, is it just the Verizon HTC Trophy that has this problem?

I do agree that WP has a middle ground between Apple and Android. Read through some android forums and see how well updates don't work for those guys.

I just find it frustrating that my phone has an issue and the update that should fix it hasn't been release on my carrier yet. I could do some hacking and get the update, but if I'm going to start hacking again I might as well go back to android. Regardless I'm sticking with this phone until November and hoping Verizon has a hot Nokia by then.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
As far as the disappearing keyboard, is it just the Verizon HTC Trophy that has this problem?
Nope. Samsung Focus has it. I want to say that the Quantum has it as well but of course it has a physical keyboard ;) My understanding is that if the most recent update your phone got was Mango, then technically you should have the keyboard problem.

I just find it frustrating that my phone has an issue and the update that should fix it hasn't been release on my carrier yet. I could do some hacking and get the update, but if I'm going to start hacking again I might as well go back to android. Regardless I'm sticking with this phone until November and hoping Verizon has a hot Nokia by then.
I'm frustrated as well :(

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung focus rev1.3 with no problem! (no disappearing keyboard,)
( its not on all phones it seems to be a random bug that hits random devices )

FYI. my carrier is already Working with Apple for Iphone 5 , (has been for over 1month) and the phone is not due for an other year (or so )

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
i have a Samsung focus rev1.3 with no problem! (no isappearing keyboard,) ( its not on all phones it seems to be a random bug that hits random devices )

FYI. my carrier is already Working with Apple for Iphone 5 , (has been for over 1month) and the phone is not due for an other year (or so )
You're the only person that I've seen consistently claim you don't have the disappearing keyboard on your Samsung Focus (I have rev1.3 as well), so let's just say that yours is a fluke and never got affected, which is good for you but not for the others. The disappearing keyboard is is something that Microsoft themselves acknowledges on the 8107 update log, so obviously it was documented enough for them to issue a fix.

Regarding your carrier and the iPhone 5, are you saying it's coming to your CARRIER a year from now, because there is no way Apple will not release a new iPhone this year.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You're the only person that I've seen consistently claim you don't have the disappearing keyboard on your Samsung Focus (I have rev1.3 as well), so let's just say that yours is a fluke and never got affected, which is good for you but not for the others. The disappearing keyboard is is something that Microsoft themselves acknowledges on the 8107 update log, so obviously it was documented enough for them to issue a fix.

Regarding your carrier and the iPhone 5, are you saying it's coming to your CARRIER a year from now, because there is no way Apple will not release a new iPhone this year.

and im still on : 7.10.8107.79 , honestly some times I wish it disappeared !! some times i can get it to move out of the way LOL.

yeah , im not saying its coming out now , im saying they are already working with apple on the next version of the Phone. ( as a matetr of fact we have one locked behind a door and only 5 people in the company are allowed to access it (programers) )

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
and im still on : 7.10.8107.79 , honestly some times I wish it disappeared !! some times i can get it to move out of the way LOL.

yeah , im not saying its coming out now , im saying they are already working with apple on the next version of the Phone. ( as a matetr of fact we have one locked behind a door and only 5 people in the company are allowed to access it (programers) )

If you're on 8107 then that's why you don't have the keyboard problem. A lot of us still don't have 8107.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The issue is the 8107 (or whatever number it is) being stifled by US carriers.

We need to let AT&T know how we feel about the update process, and we need to do it repeatedly and en masse. The problem with AT&T is that they're not afraid to lose customers because only a handful of them know (or care) about how crappy their update system is. Maybe if they saw a sizable group filing complaints then perhaps they would get off their butts.

Why are people blaming AT&T? No US carriers are rolling this Update out and AT&T was the first one to be rumored to have it ready to go out.

T-Mobile devices are not getting this update, and AFAIK Sprint and Verizon devices aren't getting it either.

I don't mind waiting for relatively non-factor updates, but when things like the soft keyboard is horribly broken it becomes an issue when you have to wait this long for a bug fix.

As far as the Twitter spamming. That worked with T-Mobile. Don't expect it to work for AT&T or Verizon, or even Sprint at this point since most of their new activations come from the iPhone and WP marketshare numbers clearly demonstrate that even if you try to zerg them you won't matter as far as the numbers are concerned.

The T-Mobile Vibrant Twitter spamming worked because it was one of T-Mobile's only high end Flagship phones and way more people had it than do Windows Phones. T-Mobile also isn't as comfortable financially/subscriber-wise as AT&T and the others.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

AT&T has 3 Apple phones, so you're wrong.

3GS, 4, 4S.

All of them have different iOS builds and different hardware in them.

They also have 3G iPad and iPad 2s.

So that's 5 Apple iOS devices AT&T carriest.

iOS updates come straight from Apple. The carrier does do testing but they do not do the type of backburnering that they do with other platforms (Symbian, WinMo, WP7, Android, even WebOS and BB) with Apple devices.

When the Apple update comes out for the iPhone on AT&T it's there for Verizon and Sprint as well as there for all other models the iOS update supports.

We seen this with iOS 5, iOS 5.0.1 and I guarantee you we will see it again with iOS 5.1.

Issues with iOS devices updating had a lot to do with the strain on Apple's servers. In addition to AT&T i3GS and 4, they also had the Verizon iPhone 4, all iPads, and 4th Generation iPod Touches getting iOS 5 updates from them. That's par from the course when you have SO MANY devices pulling data from your servers.

The fact that they were able to get through it at all is impressive, IMO.

In any case, the model argument is mute and has been since Apple started keeping the other model on the market as a mid-range offering, and especially since they started putting out CDMA devices with major internal differences from the GSM version.

Also, Android updates for Nexus devices are typically fast, especially bug fix and security updates, and Android OEMs have generally outperformed WP7 OEMs as far as getting updates out even on the same carriers.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...No US carriers are rolling this Update out and AT&T was the first one to be rumored to have it ready to go out.

T-Mobile devices are not getting this update, and AFAIK Sprint and Verizon devices aren't getting it either.
That's not correct. U.S. Cellular rolled it out for the HTC 7 Pro and T-Mobile for the HTC Radar:

http://www.windowscentral.com/us-cellular-brings-8107-windows-phone-update-htc-7-pro

http://www.windowscentral.com/t-mobile-htc-radar-getting-8107-update

So "blaming" AT&T is more or less appropriate since the ball is on their court. They may decide to skip it, but again that would be AT&T to "blame."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss