Microsoft says they're in it for the (very) long haul

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Aaron Woodman: Director for Windows Phone: Microsoft in a tooth and nail fight with iPhone and Android that may last decades | WMPoweruser

Speaking to CNET, Microsoft’s Aaron Woodman, director for Windows Phone, has said the battle against iPhone and Windows Phone could last a decade, or even “multiple decades”.

Acknowledging that Windows Phones may not be selling in huge numbers now, he had a lot of faith that Windows 8 will help turn things around.

Aaron said Windows 8 will help increase the familiarity of buyers to the new Metro interface and also help show how Windows Phone is differentiated from iPhone and Android.

He expected 2013, after the launch of Windows 8, to be “the year of Windows Phone”.

He also expressed the view that Microsoft, with its “endless resources”, has both the money and time to wait out the competition.

Last edited:

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
In a few years I'm sure WP is something to count on. iPhone will probably "die" at some point in time. Android seems to kind of be digging its own grave lately in some senses. MS will definitely be a strong competitor in the future as time passes and more people get to see what it really is.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
In a few years I'm sure WP is something to count on. iPhone will probably "die" at some point in time. Android seems to kind of be digging its own grave lately in some senses. MS will definitely be a strong competitor in the future as time passes and more people get to see what it really is.

i dont know that iphone or android will ever die, but windows is definately going to be a big threat... i had my doubts recently , but things are now looking brighter... the giveaway on live with kelly was awesome!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
it won't be decades because things will be different by then anyway I'm sure, but hopefully it'll even out a bit and sooner rather than later. Because although the vote of confidence is nice, we have to be honest - MS won't continue to push and push a product the market isn't buying indefinitely. No company would.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The future lies in mobility, Microsoft will be there because they have to. Apple has sold iPhones and iPads way beyond their most devoted base because of the 'cool' factor. One wonders if sales will drop when they inevitably stop being cool.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I think that MS are in a similar position now to Apple when the iPhone was released. They have a brand new OS, which people (consumers and reviewers) seem to like, and they have ahead of them a good few years to add features to that OS and help it mature.

IMO iOS is really starting to show it's age. And it seems harder for Apple to bring fresh ideas to the platform. I also think people get quickly fed up with their phones (and other gadgets) and look for something new often. Certainly, I know quite a few people who have had an iPhone 3/3GS and then upgraded to an iPhone 4, but have left the 4s to go over to Android.

It's interesting, because there's certainly nothing wrong with iOS, and in quite a few ways I prefer it to WP7, but if you've been with iOS from the beginning, that's nearly five years with the same OS. It makes sense why people look for something else.

I hope MS can find enough to keep adding to WP to ensure it stays relevent and a pleasure to use, as it is now. I'm half way through my contract, and when that's up I'm sure to get another WP, but I hope once that contract is up the platform will still be good enough to make me want another WP device.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I would be very surprised if iOS 6 didn't feature a visual overhaul to go with the iPhone 5 launch. iOS is certainly overdue for one.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The future lies in mobility, Microsoft will be there because they have to. Apple has sold iPhones and iPads way beyond their most devoted base because of the 'cool' factor. One wonders if sales will drop when they inevitably stop being cool.

I'm not sure the cool factor is the only thing Apple sells on. If you look in any other direction you will see tons of models and varying specifications, while apple offers one new phone and tablet at a time, as well as a tight selection in their computer ranges. That kind of simplicity has a large appeal as well.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
dint they also say:

He expected 2011, after the launch of Windows 7, to be “the year of Windows Phone”.
He expected 2012, after the launch of Windows phone 7.5, to be “the year of Windows Phone”.
He expected 2013, after the launch of Windows 8, to be “the year of Windows Phone”.

lol ,,, come on 2014!!

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure the cool factor is the only thing Apple sells on. If you look in any other direction you will see tons of models and varying specifications, while apple offers one new phone and tablet at a time, as well as a tight selection in their computer ranges. That kind of simplicity has a large appeal as well.

Yah, exceptional build quality and ease of use too. Not saying Apple will die, but the very large iPhone/iPad sales are driven in part because they've become the coolest toy to have.
On the other hand, since they are even better at marketing than making products, they may just stay on top.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
MS and Nokia are already sending ripples across the mobile industry. Watch them dominate the emerging markets, with the high-end Apollo devices claiming some serious market share in 2013/14.

Mark my words ladies and gentlemen. :)

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
WP doesn't have to take first place to be successful. They're still far behind RIM, let alone iOS and Android. At this point in time, RIM has the most to lose from WP's growth.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They are moving too slowly, if they moved quicker it wouldn't need decades for them to be successful. iphone and the rest arent going anywhere, still a good product and legions of brainwashed followers. That will be hard to overcome.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
They are moving too slowly, if they moved quicker it wouldn't need decades for them to be successful. iphone and the rest arent going anywhere, still a good product and legions of brainwashed followers. That will be hard to overcome.

yeah they really need to add features to attract more people ( hardware is coming )

I think they tried to be innovative by being the firs to add Gaming Ecosystem ( XBOX ) and by doing that and being all excited about XBOX , they completely forgot about key essential features!

but I think they are aware of it now and are working hard to bring in more to the platform!

if apollo's hype is accurate, WP would surpass both android and Iphone in NO time in terms of quality/features/and PURE AWESOMENESS!! ( not in terms of sales maybe but the OS it self should really grow)

I hope any ways :p

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
It's incredibly difficult to stay on top forever. If someone came up with a communications device with a photorealistic display, a battery that lasted for days, and a feature packed, smooth interface that never crashed, we would all take notice.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand why they are moving so slowly on updates and core features. It feels like their WP team is just 5 guys in a room somewhere instead of hundreds like it needs to be. WP7 could easily be an amazing OS and I'm not sure why Microsoft, which definitely has the resources, doesn't really seem to be trying very hard.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's incredibly difficult to stay on top forever. If someone came up with a communications device with a photorealistic display, a battery that lasted for days, and a feature packed, smooth interface that never crashed, we would all take notice.

I'll join the pre-order list for that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well we only got 1 update so far! ( aside from nodo copy-past lol ) and they added 500features!!
the OS is still young so far!! you dont expect your one year old baby to have all his teeth do you? hehe ;)

We are hopping that the next update (Apollo ) will competently or almost fill the VOID with WP missing features.

and honestly its not missing that much!! , maybe a bakers dozen...
we get 1000000000000 of complaints of missing features. but its always the same 10-20 complaints... not missing that much!!!! it maybe feels like its more.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'd say Microsoft has been very busy. Between Windows 8, Tango, Apollo, Xbox III, and everything else they're working on, this is the busiest I've seen Microsoft in a while. I know everyone wants MS to just slap down a bunch of code and call it a day, but it's never that simple.

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
There are features missing that simply should not be, and take WP out of the running as the best OS. For example (and these are just the things bothering me today):

Cannot forward an email with attachments (attachments are stripped)
Cannot save attachments locally (at least not PDFs)
Custom ringtones are difficult
No option to enable Wifi during sleep (forced to use slow data connection, and if you don't have a data connection, you're out of luck)
No ringer profiles (toast notifications are constantly waking me up at night - unacceptable)
No built-in google chat - this is just lame
No ability to pull up an email address using a nickname (for example if I have "Robert Smith" in my address book and have the nickname set to "Bob," I should be able to type "Bob" and have it suggest his contact information for calls/texts/emails
"Month" view in calendar is not useful because you can't see individual appointments without clicking on the date
Lock screen barely shows any info and doesn't show third-party notifications
Toasts are simply lost once they disappear from the screen (wtf?)
Cannot go "back" in IE (um... why)
Screen unlock passcode MUST be 4 numbers (why can't it be more complex?)

there are more, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro