New to windows phone.

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm new to windows phones, and I'm looking for a little information. I'm planning on getting the nokia 900 for numerous reasons. Mainly I want a smartphone I can program using C#, which is what I use at work all the time. I'm currently using a palm pre- on sprint, and I want to switch to the nokia 900 on att. Will I be able to switch my current number over without any problems? As far as I know my 2 year contract is up will I have to pay an ETF to leave sprint? Also skype seems kind of limited will they fix most of the problems it'll have on release later on, or will they just leave it broken??

Thanks,
-Jon

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you should have no trouble at all porting your number from Sprint to AT&T. Just call Sprint and verify that there are no blocks or holds on your number and that it's able to be ported at any time.

If you leave Sprint before your two years are up you'll have to pay an ETF. This is standard with any carrier and any two year contract.

Are you really serious about your Skype question?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
yes skype is just beta right now, it is in early development stages... so indefinately it will be improved. beta releases are inteded for preview purposes only, its not an official release. microsoft said to have a full verison out by april 2012.

other questions were already answered...

BTW welcome!!! great to have you in our community!!!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
welcome-to-wp.gif

1. to port a number from one carrier to the next you need to following:

- names on both carriers need to match! ( when u activate with new carrier)
- you need your account number from your old carrier ( top of your BILL )
- your cell number must be eligible on the different carrier ( rare but some times its not )
- if your out of contract it should be ok!

2. for all your developing needs make sure to check out:
Apps , games and Development!: in my signature thread!

3. Skype is in Beta right now lol!!! not only do they plan to FIX it but they plan to integrate it INTO the OS :)

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
names on both carriers need to match! ( when u activate with new carrier)

I'm currently on a family plan with my dad on sprint so I'm not entirely sure if the phone number is under my name or his, but we have the same name so I'm almost thinking it'll work out anyways.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! :)

-Jon

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on a family plan with my dad on sprint so I'm not entirely sure if the phone number is under my name or his, but we have the same name so I'm almost thinking it'll work out anyways.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! :)

-Jon

You can still port it out. Just have your Dad call Sprint and verify there's no holds your number. You'll also need your Dad's Sprint account number when you port.

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Welcome Jon! I just left Sprint to get the Titan on AT&T. Having my number transferred over was painless and you won't lose any service until everything is complete. Good luck.

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Welcome Jon! I just left Sprint to get the Titan on AT&T. Having my number transferred over was painless and you won't lose any service until everything is complete. Good luck.
Thanks! :)

I have one other quick question, for my palm pre- I have something called webOS doctor, it basically restores the device back to how it came out of the box, I assume there is something similar for windows phone? Is it also a program you'd run in windows or is it only on the phone? I guess what I am getting at is how hard is it brick your phone? With webOS you could really screw things up, but still doctor and things would work again. Is it similar for windows phone or less robust?

Thanks,
-Jon

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! :)

I have one other quick question, for my palm pre- I have something called webOS doctor, it basically restores the device back to how it came out of the box, I assume there is something similar for windows phone? Is it also a program you'd run in windows or is it only on the phone? I guess what I am getting at is how hard is it brick your phone? With webOS you could really screw things up, but still doctor and things would work again. Is it similar for windows phone or less robust?

Thanks,
-Jon

Sadly, there is no equivalent to webOS Doctor for WP7. You can only reset to factory defaults. I sure wish there was a WP7 Doctor. That would be awesome.

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Some more quick questions! How hard is it to unlock the developer mode?

Also for the battery saver mode is it possible to have it still sync emails while still doing the other battery saving stuff?

Edit: Does anyone know if the lumia 900 has a notification light?

Thanks,
-Jon

Last edited:

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm new to windows phones, and I'm looking for a little information. I'm planning on getting the nokia 900 for numerous reasons. Mainly I want a smartphone I can program using C#, which is what I use at work all the time. I'm currently using a palm pre- on sprint, and I want to switch to the nokia 900 on att. Will I be able to switch my current number over without any problems? As far as I know my 2 year contract is up will I have to pay an ETF to leave sprint? Also skype seems kind of limited will they fix most of the problems it'll have on release later on, or will they just leave it broken??

Thanks,
-Jon

If I may make a suggestion...
Before getting any phone if the phone is in the store in this case AT&T go to the store and try it out play with it make a phone call listen to how the caller sounds and how you sound to them. I got burned (three times I might add) thinking I was going to have a working HTC Titan almost went with contract on that phone but that model has problems. I had tried three Titans in thirty days before returning everything so that I could reverse the upgrade. In my situation all three Titans had call voice quality issue where I sounded like I was under water to people I was calling (truely embaressing in some cases even though this is a reflection of HTC quality and AT&T for allowing such quality). Yea I tried the trick of covering the hole next to the ear piece. But each of the three Titan phones had a bigger issue which I was not willing to accept that was the random reboots/power cycle most of the time every 12 to 18 hrs sometimes longer between. One thing I learned from this experience is not to take in only what you read about the phone in reviews but to go to the store and play with the phone if its possible. I made my purchase around Christmas from Amazonwireless.com and thank god they have a good return policy in my instance. I am now have in my hands another WP that is about year old model which I made an out right purchase and using StraightTalk AT&T sim in it as the moment.

toasterthegamer

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If I may make a suggestion...
Before getting any phone if the phone is in the store in this case AT&T go to the store and try it out play with it make a phone call listen to how the caller sounds and how you sound to them. I got burned (three times I might add) thinking I was going to have a working HTC Titan almost went with contract on that phone but that model has problems. I had tried three Titans in thirty days before returning everything so that I could reverse the upgrade. In my situation all three Titans had call voice quality issue where I sounded like I was under water to people I was calling (truely embaressing in some cases even though this is a reflection of HTC quality and AT&T for allowing such quality). Yea I tried the trick of covering the hole next to the ear piece. But each of the three Titan phones had a bigger issue which I was not willing to accept that was the random reboots/power cycle most of the time every 12 to 18 hrs sometimes longer between. One thing I learned from this experience is not to take in only what you read about the phone in reviews but to go to the store and play with the phone if its possible. I made my purchase around Christmas from Amazonwireless.com and thank god they have a good return policy in my instance. I am now have in my hands another WP that is about year old model which I made an out right purchase and using StraightTalk AT&T sim in it as the moment.

I'm pretty sure that most carriers have a 30 day return policy, and you can switch phones, but I will double check just to make sure. I'll be getting the lumia 900 whenever it comes out.

-Jon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786