Wanna move to Windows, but where's all the high end devices.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Wanna move to Windows, but where's all the high end devices?

I've got a Galaxy S2, and it's an amazing phone. Once it gets bumped to ICS it will be even more amazing. But I actually would like to try something different as I look forward to Windows 8. I bought my son a Nokia 710 and it runs incredibly smooth and I found the UI refreshing. Now for me I want a phone equivalent to the Galaxy S2 specs and display. When it comes to phones, I'm all about the display as that's what you touch and look at every time you use it. And the SuperAmoled Plus display is one of the nicest to look at. SuperAmoled Plus HD will be out for the Galaxy S3 and it will be even more amazing. So I wanna stick with Samsung. Is there any news of a high end Samsung phone coming out on Windows Phone. I'm aware of the Focus S, but I'm looking at upgrading anytime in this year. So if there is anything new coming up this year, i'm fine with waiting. Broadening the budget phones is great, but I really think Windows needs high end devices to attract more users.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Well there will be great Nokia lumias when WP8 comes out thats for sure. According to IDG Nokia will get the WP8 and ability to build mobiles to it first of all. Thats part of the MS Nokia deal.

Right now Lumia 800 is the best one. Because of all the free apps like Nokia drive, nokia music and nokia is good at updating there devices as well, and it's as good looking and as fast as lindsay vonn :)

i really must find out how to fix so that my ipad doesn't try to change every single word in english to swedish..

Last edited:

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

That's HTC. I'm sticking with Samsung for their SuperAmoled HD Plus displays. They also have the slimmest and lightest phones. So basically they get max screen size for min phone size. Plastic build phones don't bother me. I care for a sold feel which Samsung does have. I understand some people don't like the plastic feel, but it doesn't bother me. Besides most people use a case, so that's another reason to have the phone as slim as possible.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
That's HTC. I'm sticking with Samsung for their SuperAmoled HD Plus displays. They also have the slimmest and lightest phones. So basically they get max screen size for min phone size. Plastic build phones don't bother me. I care for a sold feel which Samsung does have. I understand some people don't like the plastic feel, but it doesn't bother me. Besides most people use a case, so that's another reason to have the phone as slim as possible.

Crap, you're absolutely right. I wasn't thinking at all! I like Samsung phones as well.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Samsung also puts class leading specs on their high end phones. The Galaxy S3 for Android will be running some serious quad core specs with a tonne of RAM. Most likely edge to edge screen as well.
Now I'm not expecting a Windows phone to have such Herculean specs, as Windows runs amazingly efficient. The fact that it is so smooth on a Nokia 710 is testament of it's efficiency. But I do want class leading specs to have the phone future proofed for a few years of OS updates. It's a real pity that more people haven't jumped on the Windows Phone wagon. But I think that will change by the end of this year.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy S2, and it's an amazing phone. Once it gets bumped to ICS it will be even more amazing. But I actually would like to try something different as I look forward to Windows 8. I bought my son a Nokia 710 and it runs incredibly smooth and I found the UI refreshing. Now for me I want a phone equivalent to the Galaxy S2 specs and display. When it comes to phones, I'm all about the display as that's what you touch and look at every time you use it. And the SuperAmoled Plus display is one of the nicest to look at. SuperAmoled Plus HD will be out for the Galaxy S3 and it will be even more amazing. So I wanna stick with Samsung. Is there any news of a high end Samsung phone coming out on Windows Phone. I'm aware of the Focus S, but I'm looking at upgrading anytime in this year. So if there is anything new coming up this year, i'm fine with waiting. Broadening the budget phones is great, but I really think Windows needs high end devices to attract more users.

The Focus S is a Galaxy S 2, just running Windows Phone rather than android. The optimized single core processor runs things much smoother than Android too. I use an Android tab, not a Google hater.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

i disagree with this, not to get off topic but i feel like super amoled plus screens have completely over saturated colors that look artificial, and they feel lightweight and cheap to me, far from solid.... yikes!

but to answer your question regarding high end devices, the nokias coming this year are going to be spectacualr, especially the 900. but if i was you i would wait till apollo phones get announced late this year...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung also puts class leading specs on their high end phones. The Galaxy S3 for Android will be running some serious quad core specs with a tonne of RAM. Most likely edge to edge screen as well.
Now I'm not expecting a Windows phone to have such Herculean specs, as Windows runs amazingly efficient. The fact that it is so smooth on a Nokia 710 is testament of it's efficiency. But I do want class leading specs to have the phone future proofed for a few years of OS updates. It's a real pity that more people haven't jumped on the Windows Phone wagon. But I think that will change by the end of this year.

specs are over rated, really... people get way to caught up in the latest and greatest specs! they mean nothing... most single core phones preform much better on windows than dual core on android... we need to realize this, choose your next phone off of its user experience, not the highest specs....

to a certain extent anyway, you dont want a 5 mp camera or 256 mb of ram, but you certainly wont need a quad core phone with 2 gb of ram, or a built in projector, or 3d...

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Focus S is basically the SAME phone as the GS2 with out duel-core.

beside the focus S is still faster and more reliable then your GS2. the screen might not be AS good but not a big different from S-AMOLED and S-Amoled + ( comparing it now .. looks ALMOST the same )

if not , wait till the end of the year , Samsung said they have new Apollo duel-core phones coming!! ( basically same build as GS1 ,GS2 and probably GS3 )

Last edited:

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Like several people have stated already, the Focus S is the WP7 version of your beloved GS2. It has WP7 specific hardware, of course, but otherwise it is exactly what you're looking for. Specs only matter for Android devices. WP7 is selling you an experience.

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

if not , wait till the end of the year , Samsung said they have new Apollo duel-core phones coming!! ( basically same build as GS1 ,GS2 and probably GS3 )

I just read about this on techradar. Now that's exciting news. I'm sure specs will be impressive when these phone are released. And if a Samsung Windows 8 tablet is also released with their upcoming Windows Phone 8 handsets, I will most definitely buy one as well. I want the complete Windows 8 ecosystem.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
specs are over rated, really... people get way to caught up in the latest and greatest specs! they mean nothing... most single core phones preform much better on windows than dual core on android... we need to realize this, choose your next phone off of its user experience, not the highest specs....

to a certain extent anyway, you dont want a 5 mp camera or 256 mb of ram, but you certainly wont need a quad core phone with 2 gb of ram, or a built in projector, or 3d...

While this is true, if you were not a die hard WP fan and you walked into a mobile phone store, would you pay the same amount for less phone spec wise? How about a television that is 720p when you can have a 1080p? Or perhaps buy an older dual core Intel computer when you can have a quad-core i7 for the same price? You may never use those specs, but people should not be made to feel like they are compromising. Especially when the tech journalists all love to point out all the WP's short comings, which one big one is in the hardware spec department.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As for premium phones, this is where I hate Windows Phone. Right now the current market is some cheap feeling Samsung's, the Titan which has a lot of issues, and two Nokia's which both lack in the camera department. Then you have the Titan II and Lumia 900 on the way with a release date of "whenever". Both of which are enormous phones which are a place holder for Apollo phones later this year which who knows what that will look like.

It's a crapshoot, with no one phone really being a dominate in class leader for WP. Nokia is probably the closest, but even with them, whether it's the 710, 800, or 900 I feel like I am compromising on something I very much want on every model. Whether it's an FFC, better optics in general for the RFC, or in terms of size in general. What I really want is an 800 with a better rear camera and a FFC, that would be my ideal device but it does not exist. For me to get those specs I have to get the monster 900 and I don't want another behemoth WP.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Not a Samsung, but the Nokia Lumia 900 (LTE) is a Windows Phone class leader hands down.

AMOLED, ClearBlack Display, Nokia-exclusive apps (Drive, Maps, soon Transport, Reading, etc), Carl Zeiss lens, and it is LTE for AT&T and Rogers (Canada). Plus the feel of the device is apparently great (polycarbonate).

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If there will be a high end WP7/8 device, it'll come from Nokia.

HTC, Samsung, et al, really aren't interested in WP7. Theres barely any phones coming out, and those that do, aren't their best. Im sure they are doing the bare minimum to fulfil their contracts with Microsoft.

At least Nokia have the motivation to actually bring their A Game to WP7/8. I hope that causes the other manufacturers to raise their game.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Samsung WP8 phones coming out Q4 this year, its worth waiting for them. If you can't wait then you could buy a Samsung Focus for now and upgrade later. I must agree I do like the samsung screens.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
How about a television that is 720p when you can have a 1080p? Or perhaps buy an older dual core Intel computer when you can have a quad-core i7 for the same price? You may never use those specs, but people should not be made to feel like they are compromising.

Where do I begin? Resolution doesn't matter if you're buying a tv with a screen under 40inches so in that case a 1080p is a waste of money ( but I guess one can say they have a better tv because it has a better spec). You computer chip example isn't accurate either. Anyone that knows anything about computers knows that a top of the line Intel quad-core i7 cost way more than a dual core chip and in this case you buy the type of power you need or think you might need in the future (but I guess you can buy the i7 so you can say that you have the biggest and the best even if you don't need it).

As much as I disagree with Cowboy's general attitude and examples I do agree with him on one point. If specs and having a Samsung are that important to you I would recommend you wait to see what Samsung is offering with Apollo. If by top of the line specs you mean 1080i displays, HDMI outputs, 64 gig storage, 1 gig ram memory, 18 mp cameras, and yes, quad core processors you might want to look someplace else.

I have a Focus S and I'm very happy with. I also happy that you are open minded enough to consider WP. Wait until the end of the year to see what Samsung has, after reading and rereading your posts I don't think there is anything WP out there that comes close to what you want in the features department.

Good Luck with your search!

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I want the complete Windows 8 ecosystem

And THAT is what it's ALL about!

I've got 4 Sammy TV's, I need a new phone and a x86 laptop. Come fall I aim to complete the screen story in my household, and I want to make sure I maximize the devices ability to work together.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
One word: Apollo. Numerous sources are naming the MSM8960 as a chipset that will be supported with Windows Phone 8, and I believe Microsoft has stated that multi-core processors and high resolution screens are coming.

That's HTC. I'm sticking with Samsung...
What's wrong with HTC? They have drastically improved in the imagery department and are significantly slimming down their devices this year. Also note that the Super LCD 2 on the HTC One X has been called the best screen on a phone, ever.

A quick comparison: Galaxy SII vs the recently announced One S (both are 4.3" devices). The One S is slimmer and just a few grams heavier. Of course, Samsung could push things further with the SIII but I wouldn't want a phone that is drastically thinner or lighter than the SII.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6