Windows Phone 7's Upgrade to WP8 Apollo Now Unclear

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like current and upcoming Windows Phone 7.x devices won't receive an upgrade to Windows Phone 8 "Apollo."

Consumers who currently own Windows Phone 7 devices may not see an upgrade past 7.x, as there's indication that Microsoft won't distribute a Windows Phone 8 upgrade to past, present and future 7.x devices. The revelation arrived during Mobile World Congress this week thanks to Terry Myerson, the Corporate Vice President of Windows Phone, while speaking to the financial analyst community.

According to ZDNet, a participant in the meeting asked Myerson whether there will be forward or backward capability between Windows Phone 7.x and Windows Phone 8 (codenamed Apollo). But rather than confirm or deny that existing Windows Phones are compatible with the Apollo release later this year, Myerson danced around the question and talked about app compatibility.

"We haven’t announced Windows Phone 8, but in terms of I can show you our goal to all Windows Phone 7 applications will run on Windows Phone 8," Myerson said. "Application compatibility is always something, where there’s always stuff on the fringe…. The spirit is our goal that all Windows Phone applications today run on our next release."

Additional sources claim that Apollo won't be pushed to existing Windows Phone users. The decision may be based on carriers and/or Microsoft itself. If that is indeed the case, consumers who purchase a Windows Phone 7.x device just before Apollo’s release won't receive any new features save for what apps bring to the table. They'll also be locked out of the unified experienced that Windows 8 promises for multiple devices.

"Statistically speaking, no Android phone gets upgraded," Myerson said during the meeting. "None. Ever. They have big bugs that don't even get patched. That's what we're seeing statistically out there. In the case of Apple, they ship OS updates to hardware that makes it unusable. It's a great hardware sales tool, as far as I can tell. Install an OS that makes your hardware unusably slow so you feel compelled to go back to the store and buy a new piece of hardware."

He added that consumer expectations of updates can be a "landmine," and that Microsoft plans to be clear about what consumers can expect in that particular area. He then took another shot at Apple, saying the company has created a "great hardware upgrade incentive system." Yet to some degree, Microsoft is seemingly doing the same thing, forcing Windows Phone 7.x owners to purchase a new Windows Phone 8 device if they want to enjoy the full multi-screen One-OS-To-Rule-Them-All experience.

"The most familiar UI for people worldwide will be Metro very soon," he said. "And that's great for the phone business."

Source: Windows Phone 7's Upgrade to WP8 Apollo Now Unclear

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
It makes sense why Microsoft is silent now, considering it doesn't want to ward away customers before the update.

I don't understand the point Myerson is trying to make either. So if the phone doesn't get upgrades it isn't patching bugs but if it does get upgrades its intentionally obsolescing your hardware?

Personally, I think Apple has done a great job with upgrades and Microsoft HAS left us completely in the dark with regards what to expect.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has barely finished Tango. Apollo is still a work in progress. They are not gonna reveal specs or anything other than a hope for compatibility. They are not gonna commit to something they may not be able to deliver.

Mark my words Apollo will come to devices but it will be like Tango and have limitations for slower devices. You really think they are releasing Tango in April and then 6 months later have no update strategy for devices like the Lumia 610.

Apple or Google don't go around commiting devices to the next update. So why should Microsoft and why do people keep pestering them. They will know when the product is done. They can't possibly know until they have tested Apollo on devices and then decided to do no update, partial update, or full update etc...

Muneeb_he's rocking

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is very strictly in supporting there customers (my n5800 got v60.0.003 after 3 yrs of its release). So I think they will deliver wp8 to their customers or everybody willjoin Android.
Now if Microsoft wants wp to be a success they should deliver wp8 to their existing customers.
DO OR DIE MICROSOFT.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has barely finished Tango. Apollo is still a work in progress. They are not gonna reveal specs or anything other than a hope for compatibility. They are not gonna commit to something they may not be able to deliver.

Mark my words Apollo will come to devices but it will be like Tango and have limitations for slower devices. You really think they are releasing Tango in April and then 6 months later have no update strategy for devices like the Lumia 610.

Apple or Google don't go around commiting devices to the next update. So why should Microsoft and why do people keep pestering them. They will know when the product is done. They can't possibly know until they have tested Apollo on devices and then decided to do no update, partial update, or full update etc...

Spot on. It's pointless to read/spread FUD until Microsoft makes an official announcement.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
WP8 isn't that far off. I think they must have a pretty good idea what kind of hardware will be needed to run it. If they could guarantee that it'll run on current devices, they'd say so. It would be a powerful sales point. The fact that they're not giving a straight answer tells me they have serious doubts about it.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath. I think it's better to think of WP7 as the rough draft for WP8.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Carl Bytes

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It is just a simple answer from them. Why are they not ending these speculations. If Windows 8 will run on 1 ghz netbooks and 512mb, I believe Windows Phone 8 will run on 1 ghz 512mb phones. But may be I'm wrong, it is just business not fan boys loyalty :)

Last edited:

WPGenius

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
It is just a simple answer from them. Why are they not ending these speculations. If Windows 8 will run on 1 ghz netbooks and 512mb, I believe Windows Phone 8 will run on 1 ghz 512mb phones. But may be I'm wrong, it is just business not fan boys loyalty :)

Very Well Put, I 100% agree, we are forever stuck in an age where things have to be super, outstandingly, great, because we want to have the latest phone that sends holograms...lol, people tend to forget one thing......ITS A PHONE!...lol, its a conveinence if WP8 works on all WP7 devices...who knows...

j_hall_in

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
As I a new member to the Windows phone community I would be very let down if I have to wait 2 years for my next upgrade to get my HTC Titan to run windows phone 8. Part of the reason I bought a windows phone was an investment in the windows phone brand more than where it was at the time. If that "investment" ends in 6 months id be sorely disappointed

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
All this does not make sense to me. I cannot see the technical and business reason for MS to drop support for current devices. Especially if they keep app compatibility. On the other hand staying silent does not make sense either. They are doing great damage to the ecosystem. I would have to assume they will not support current hardware until they say otherwise. Still it makes ZERO sense to me.

However the MS marketing department is known to be full of idiots. When they first showed Windows 8 they mentioned JS and HTML which set the .NET community on fire. They were silent for 6 months before they announced that .NET will be supported in Win8 but in the meantime some companies simply dropped .NET as an UI platform. Now I understand that they are afraid they may not deliver on a promise but all that was required in that case was a simple "you will be able to develop for Win 8 using .NET". If they pull this **** again with WP8... well I guess only they are losing.

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm perfectly comfortable with this.

Saying that WP8 should run on current devices is one thing. Announcing that it will or is expected to run? Totally a different thing. MS can't come out and make a move that looks like a promise or guarantee. I'm betting they're still deciding what features should be in WP8 and how to run them on as minimal a hardware profile as possible. And remember, unless I've missed something, WP8 is rumored for "late this year" - that's plenty far enough away.

Consider also the existence of Tango itself. MS has actively gone out and slimmed down WP7 to run on lighter, entry-level hardware. To abandon that focus and only design for high end hardware? Nah.

I can't be worried now, until official announcements are made, about Apollo and what it may or may not bring. (Side note - I'd be happy just to have 8107, AT&T....) I've been on WP7 from iOS for three weeks now, and I'm not going to turn back just to wait months for another round of phone dev.

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
well some android phones get maybe one upgrade to the next version depending on carrier, and if the phone can support it, but thats normally it. Is it realistic to expect MS to continually upgrade everyone. You won't be expecting a free upgrade to Windows 8 for your laptop will you, so why do we all expect it for the phone?

Unfortunately it seems we are going to get (sorry, are getting, 8107 where are you?) an android experience with updates anyway, so it will depend on your manufacturer and carrier when you get anything, if you get at all.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

Because they've spent the last year pointing their fingers at Android and screaming "FRAGMENTATION!!!" at the top of their lungs like little school children. So to do it now with a device like the 900 or Titan 2 that hasn't even been RELEASED yet would make them hypocrites, and the fandroids would never shut up about it. Not to mention it would piss off the early adopters in the worst way, likely costing them customers in the process.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I have little doubt WP7 devices will upgrade to WP8. WP9.5, on the other hand, we'll probably get dropped by then. Then, we can all cry because our 5-year-old phones aren't being paid attention to... or most of us will just have new phones by every 2 years. ?\_(ツ)_/?

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Ofcourse nokias 710, 800 and 900 Will get Apollo.. They has just been realized. And the 900 is coming world Wide around the summer... Probably android boys that comes with this rumors and articels

Nokia also has ? reputation of supporting there phones for ? quite longperiod

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Gen 1 and 1.5 devices will be upgraded. That statement could mean anything, it could've meant "Android devices don't get updates,apple devices get updates that slow down but our update process will be different and still provide a stable user friendly experience". All in all I wouldn't be too disappointed if my HD7 won't get updated to Apollo because I was planning on getting a new device around that time anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte