Even after update, FB app is still garbage.

lvalen91

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
On android I saw myself going into the Android app a lot since it isn't baked into the OS, even with HTC Android phones with sense that has some extent of if ... I still used the Android App more. With WP7 I just go into the Peoples Hub to check up on FB and twitter. I have the FB app installed but hardly if ever go in it only if something didn't load right.

I never had issues with Android but then again I never had cheap low end phone. I always had high end ones. That's the thing with android people who give it a bad name have a POS phone, whether its software/hardware related. I had a Rezound and i never had an issue mostly since it was hardware wise top of the line, while people i know are walking around with LG phones from MetroPCS that are slow as **** and all they do is complain about how ****ty android is. But thats a who different topic

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
it seems like a love/hate relationship with this app! I myself find the built in functionality perfect. I hardly open the actual app on my phone.

The baked in functionality is only half-baked..you need to go to the FB site to see anything more than a like and a status update. Though, its easier to check a status update than it is to pull up the dial pad. I don't like the mega-FB integration throughout the phone...rather keep it all separate in a tidy little app. (but there isn't one)..

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
OP lost all credibility when he said you have to go through 5 pages to see friends list.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

news feed-->notifications-->photos-->more photos-->profile+friends+messages+events.
That's 5 pages. Plus an extra click on friends to pull up the list.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The baked in functionality is only half-baked..you need to go to the FB site to see anything more than a like and a status update. Though, its easier to check a status update than it is to pull up the dial pad. I don't like the mega-FB integration throughout the phone...rather keep it all separate in a tidy little app. (but there isn't one)..
What are you talking about? I don't have any trouble whatsoever pulling up the dial pad, not even my parents do when I let them use my phone. You aren't being forced to use the Facebook integration you can keep it separate if you like.

news feed-->notifications-->photos-->more photos-->profile+friends+messages+events.

don't know where you're getting 5 from, only took me 2 to get to friends.

Last edited:

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site

You do know don't you that you can also go Newsfeed --> Profile + Friends + Messages + Events if you swipe Left to Right? :)

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
You do know don't you that you can also go Newsfeed --> Profile + Friends + Messages + Events if you swipe Left to Right? :)
didn't realize that..there's no indication of being able to do that anywhere..but thanks. This is another reason why this is such a clunky, unorganized app.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
didn't realize that..there's no indication of being able to do that anywhere..but thanks. This is another reason why this is such a clunky, unorganized app.

you can swipe left to right anywhere within the OS. Doesn't mean that its clunky or unorganized whatsoever just means that you're a bit misinformed.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Se1f,

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. I don't believe this post is conducive to the thread nor is it a good representation of WPCentral. You're one of our mods now. You represent us. Please, be kind and helpful. We all have, or should have, cares and concerns about the Windows Phone platform. That doesn't make us evil or even anti-WPites.

Sorry if I sound too harsh. I'm feeling pretty crummy today (think I'm coming down with the flu). I just don't like seeing people jump on others when they have a concern, and I especially don't like seeing it when it is a community leader.

As for the issue at hand, I don't believe that the Facebook app on Windows Phone is as big of a deal for us as it would be on other OSes, since we have basic functionality built in. That means, however, that the app authors need to focus on those functions that the baked-in features can't or don't cover. At this point, I don't think they are.

someone who says that WP is a crappy and frustrating experience is definitely an anti-WP in my eyes, seems like he got a device just to intentionally look for bad things about it even though they aren't actually bad. So I think that se1f was well within his right to say that especially considering that this is a WP centric site.

the post have been deleted,

to be fair all I did was quote him! lol ..

I just suggested him to bring his phone back if he dint like . like i have done with allot of people. As much as i like WP im not here to make you keep it or buy if it you dont like it.

Id rather convince some one that WP is not for them , then to convince them it IS for them then have them HATE IT.

and if your at a point where you NEED to complain every day , then MAYBE just MAYBE , MOST of you should just return your WP and ill respect that decision.

Now if people could just learn how to use the SUGGESTING page from MS.

WP Getting started thread:

If we cant help you you can try Home - Microsoft Answers or here Microsoft Support
If you have any Complaints’ OR Suggestion you would like to share with MICROSOFT you can try here: Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

Last edited:

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There is also the chance - however small - that, while Facebook may still huge now, it's popularity may take a nose-dive at some point in the future (anyone remember Myspace?)

If MS go to great lengths to build large parts of the OS around FB, it risks turning into a "Facebook phone". If something happened that meant people used FB less and less then you could end up with a fair amount of the phone's functionality becoming useless.

In the end, we know this OS will only be around...5-6 years and get very bland. Look at iOS, people are looking for something new out of it besides just features, wanting a look over haul at the least. (Get a lot of hooo-huumm reviews with the last couple OS updates) In 4-5 years if FB is going down hill, the OS would be in the need of an overhaul anyway.

the baked in functionality does everything I need it to do, so not incomplete at all.

Guys, not sure if you are all aware of it or not, but the baked in Functionality DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR WHOLE FRIENDS LIST. Since WP7 is considered a 3rd party 'app', it is very easy for friends to not allow their info to be shared on it. I have a good friend that I cannot ever see his status changes or if he posts on my check-ins. If I open up the app on my phone, all his info comes through also.

This is most commonly noticed with pictures as many FB members will have stricter settings on their photos.

I hear ya... It's easy to forget that this app tries to incorporate metro capabilities.

Was that an attempt at sarcasm? It lost me...

I rarely use the app, if I want to do something the OS won't allow I just go to the full feature website on my phone.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
In the end, we know this OS will only be around...5-6 years and get very bland. Look at iOS, people are looking for something new out of it besides just features, wanting a look over haul at the least. (Get a lot of hooo-huumm reviews with the last couple OS updates) In 4-5 years if FB is going down hill, the OS would be in the need of an overhaul anyway.

The OS will never become bland or dated, this is Microsoft were talking about here,especially with the ecosystem that's being built.
Guys, not sure if you are all aware of it or not, but the baked in Functionality DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR WHOLE FRIENDS LIST. Since WP7 is considered a 3rd party 'app', it is very easy for friends to not allow their info to be shared on it. I have a good friend that I cannot ever see his status changes or if he posts on my check-ins. If I open up the app on my phone, all his info comes through also.

This is most commonly noticed with pictures as many FB members will have stricter settings on their photos.

Don't know where you've been but the people hub now allows full access to Facebook posts and pics. It's being discussed in the people hub thread.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The OS will never become bland or dated, this is Microsoft were talking about here,especially with the ecosystem that's being built.

I think the biggest thing WP has going for it is the fact that it's a new OS and entirely different from the other OS's. I don't know whats planned for wp8, but a lack of features, customization and official apps will surely become bland and outdated, if not undesirable over time. But the upside to that is the phones run flawlessly, so who knows.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think the biggest thing WP has going for it is the fact that it's a new OS and entirely different from the other OS's. I don't know whats planned for wp8, but a lack of features, customization and official apps will surely become bland and outdated, if not undesirable over time. But the upside to that is the phones run flawlessly, so who knows.

lack of features? What are you talking about? I'm actually now able to do more things on my HD7, than I did on my TP2. WP8 will have the windows 8 kernel so we will be close to having phones that are actually PCs. Apps are another moot point ,a study recently came out proving that only a small percentage of smartphone owners care about apps. The majority of those who do seem to be here on WPCentral. I just keep proving you wrong in every single reply to your posts,it's almost like a sport to me.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah im not sure what the whole WP blend thing is all about.

aside from very easy feature to implements (witch will probably be in WP8 ) what is missing?

missing apps? , the fact that WP IS growing more and more DEV are coming over and more and more official apps are starting to show up ( go back 12 months we dint even have 1 )

WP8 will bring the best ecosystem/crost-platform system on the market.

and when WP will get duel core all does Ignorant people thinking duel-core is the only specs that matter will finally start coming over to WP once they relies how much better this OS is.

Customization will NEVER bee the reason for the demise of a OS. Iphone sales like hot cake and you cant customize that thing to save a life ,

90% of people on android dont customize their phone ( unless you think moving widgets around = customize ) and 80% of android phones sales are low-end phones sold to strait up tech-illiterate people that dont even know how to send a TXT message)
and as a front line agent having to explain that to people you really get a Idea where the REAL market is.

its not with high end quad-core 1080p HD , 42MPIX phones... really NOT. that's just what WE minority tech savvy people want.

WP is the most Innovative device to come out in the last 4 years! , and its just lacking BASIC things that will change the whole market behind it. ( I think ) like duel-core , custom ring tones? ROLF! just to attract the ignorant client ( no offense to any one )

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not being able to stream BT audio for 3rd party apps! That's missing! I like to catch up on Supernatural via Netflix while at work! LOL!.
yeah im not sure what the whole WP blend thing is all about.

aside from very easy feature to implements (witch will probably be in WP8 ) what is missing?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't know where you've been but the people hub now allows full access to Facebook posts and pics. It's being discussed in the people hub thread.

Completely missed that...but I still have times when photos are not shared / blocked. Maybe that is mobile wide or something, and not OS related.

That is just elitist and wrong, or sarcastic, I can't tell. You are going to say Win 95 never became dated and replaced by Win XP's look...or Win XP never became dated and replaced by Win 7's look...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077