Even after update, FB app is still garbage.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The funny thing is..I just joined FB couple months ago so I never used a different FB app on any other OS. But, even I know this is a sorry half-baked attempt to have something related to FB on wp7. Still glitchy, still cant tell what Im liking. I only have the app pinned to my start screen so I can see a notification...then I go to the web site to see it. And thats when a notification even shows up, if not 30 minutes after.
Also- when typing a message, and the keyboard disappears, there's nowhere to touch to make it come back...you gotta exit and type it all over again.
I hope Wp8 will have better app integration and a fixed keyboard. But from what I understand- MS will not be updating first gen devices... Pretty lame considering new windows phones were just released in the last month.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
well the disappearing keyboard is not a facebook issue its a WP& issue probably caused by background agents theres more than one thread about the issue and its one of the things the 8107 update was supposed to solve. The questions of gen 1 devices updating to Apollo has not been definitively answered yet IMHO I think it will happen but not all features will be enabled.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
...but the crappiness of wp7...

I think that's something of a sweeping generalisation. I've never noticed the disappearing keyboard thing, but the 8107 update seems to have either fixed it, or at least made it better for a lot of people. If that update hasn't been rolled out to your handset you could give you mobile service provider a call and ask why not. It has been released to the carriers.

I agree that the FB app isn't all that great, although I think it is improved from the previous version. The trouble is the app isn't made by FB, it's made by Microsoft. And I would guess that, with the functionality of the People Hub being something that they make a big thing of, they don't devote endless hours to the development of the FB app when many of the functions of it are already baked into the OS.

With the People Hub seemingly being granted "official" status by FB, some of the frustrations of it have also been resolved.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the previous version of the FB app. This current version loads a lot slower, and the banners take away space that is better used for more posts in the news feed. Bottom line, yes, the WP FB app still sucks.

Sogeman

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, compared to before it's about 200% better but still a load of garbage compared to the ios version.

I wish Facebook themselves would just make one but I guess the platform isn't worth the trouble.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I know..but the crappiness of wp7 paired with the crappiness of the FB app, just results in a very frustrating, crappy experience.

Android is an even crappier experience, my moms phone just crashed last night when she power cycled it because apps kept force closing and failing to open on her. the FB app is tons better than what it used to be and is way better than the WM version, its also even better than the android version as it ran like crap. I don't even go in it now unless its to respond to friend requests or answer messages which sometimes end up there. as for the friends list its easy to get to, just pan left and then hit friends. its one extra swipe than before but definately not 3.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't use it all that often, but certainly since the update I use it a LOT more than I used to.

The only FB I *really* like at the moment is the iPad one as it offers the most functionality, which isn't that surprising given the screen size. To my knowledge though, none of the apps offer the full functions of the website, why would the WP one be any different?

To be honest though, considering how much of a mess the actual Facebook website is, either full desktop OR mobile, it's amazing that a half decent app can be made out of it at all.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
well feel free to take your *crappy WP , that runs a crappy FB app back to your carrier for an other phone.

Se1f,

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. I don't believe this post is conducive to the thread nor is it a good representation of WPCentral. You're one of our mods now. You represent us. Please, be kind and helpful. We all have, or should have, cares and concerns about the Windows Phone platform. That doesn't make us evil or even anti-WPites.

Sorry if I sound too harsh. I'm feeling pretty crummy today (think I'm coming down with the flu). I just don't like seeing people jump on others when they have a concern, and I especially don't like seeing it when it is a community leader.

As for the issue at hand, I don't believe that the Facebook app on Windows Phone is as big of a deal for us as it would be on other OSes, since we have basic functionality built in. That means, however, that the app authors need to focus on those functions that the baked-in features can't or don't cover. At this point, I don't think they are.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Se1f,

I'm going to have to call you out on this one. I don't believe this post is conducive to the thread nor is it a good representation of WPCentral. You're one of our mods now. You represent us. Please, be kind and helpful. We all have, or should have, cares and concerns about the Windows Phone platform. That doesn't make us evil or even anti-WPites.

Sorry if I sound too harsh. I'm feeling pretty crummy today (think I'm coming down with the flu). I just don't like seeing people jump on others when they have a concern, and I especially don't like seeing it when it is a community leader.

As for the issue at hand, I don't believe that the Facebook app on Windows Phone is as big of a deal for us as it would be on other OSes, since we have basic functionality built in. That means, however, that the app authors need to focus on those functions that the baked-in features can't or don't cover. At this point, I don't think they are.

someone who says that WP is a crappy and frustrating experience is definitely an anti-WP in my eyes, seems like he got a device just to intentionally look for bad things about it even though they aren't actually bad. So I think that se1f was well within his right to say that especially considering that this is a WP centric site.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
someone who says that WP is a crappy and frustrating experience is definitely an anti-WP in my eyes, seems like he got a device just to intentionally look for bad things about it even though they aren't actually bad. So I think that se1f was well within his right to say that especially considering that this is a WP centric site.

This.

The only reason I kept my BB so long is I won't use Apple-anything and Android has WAY to many bugs. Then WP7 came out just before the power jack on my BB broke.

FYI after I updated my HD7 to 8107 the disappearing k/b issued disappeared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa