Love my WP7 HTC Arrive! Its been a great move from the Palm Pre with just a few niggling things - that aren't the device's fault as much as MS (like custom alert tones - really? 2012 high end, touch screen device isn't set up to do what older stick and flip phones did?)

BUT, ( we all knew there'd be a "but") my job has changed significantly, leaving me with no choice but to eliminate my smartphone usage and go back to my 2006 Sanyo SCP-8400. :'(

A 4 month review of my sprint useage revealed how little I actually used the device as a phone - 7 minutes per month peak, 76 total anytime! Data useage was a bit more, but no where near even 1GB! Text messages were averaging 30 a month. I'm already at the lowest level Sprint allows for smartphones.

I can't use it from the office - mostly due to no signal, but also because I am well, busy working. Can't use it while driving of course. So the only other times I used it was on WiFI at restaurants - which I cannot afford to eat in anymore. Sooo the bottom line was shrinking and I've resurrected the old blue flip phone and will use the Arrive as a pocket tablet!

The first few days back with the flip phone and I felt like a dummy - my dumb phone was smarter than me! Had to drag out the manual!

But a couple things I noticed that made the move a little easier - my old familiar CUSTOM alert tones were heard again! I actually get signal reception at my work desk! The battery didn't budge until the third day! Of course that was on text and phone ONLY with only two short (under three minutes) calls.

But the move still lets me use the Arrive as a tablet on WI-FI, music player, camera, and note pad for 35.00 a month

An app has been placed for a second job, and that may allow me to return to full smartphone status. But for now - its a blast from the past!

Fraggin economy! :mad:
    03-07-2012 12:43 AM
    Gotta do what you gotta do. If it's not essential to your life, it should be set aside. Every now and then I contemplate abandoning the smartphone since i rarely use the data that's in the plan but still have to pay for it every month.
    03-07-2012 07:31 AM
    Sorry to see you (temporarily) go. Hopefully you'll be back to full Metro status soon.
    03-07-2012 07:56 AM
    Been there doing that (job wise). As I almost never use my phone as a phone, and using WiFi at home/work (much faster than AT&Ts 3G for me) results in around 200MB/m, on an Unlimited plan, definitely considering the GoPlan (month to month). Could save more than $30/month.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    03-07-2012 09:12 AM
    As a webOS Refugee, I feel your pain. But might I swing your eyes over to T-Mobile for a moment? They have an excellent plan that's $30 a month, 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5GB of data. Surely you don't use more than 5GB of data with Sprint. Right? Just grab a cheap HTC HD7 from eBay and sign up with T-Mobile. You'd get WP7, which you like, and you'd get a great, cheap plan.

Scroll down to see the plan I speak of: Monthly4G Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile
    03-07-2012 09:38 AM
    Thanks speedtouch, but Where I live Sprint is only network that actually gets signal through! Had At&T before Sprint - was horribly spotty and full of static and only if I stood outside. Tried Verizon's Trophy before moving to the Arrive from the Pre and got absolutely ZERO signal! Friends that visit with T-Mobile phones lose their signal about a mile up the road. Even with Sprint getting a signal I still ended up buying an Airave to get FULL signal. I do think T-Mobile is giving the other guys a run for their money in regular metro areas - just not where I live.

WIFI is still a decent way to go. I can park outside shops and McD's and pick it up for those moments when I GOTTA have info RIGHT now! Have to locate my Tom TOm though for the Jeep... And I still use it when parked on the sofa....
    03-09-2012 02:44 AM
    Thanks speedtouch, but Where I live Sprint is only network that actually gets signal through! Had At&T before Sprint - was horribly spotty and full of static and only if I stood outside. Tried Verizon's Trophy before moving to the Arrive from the Pre and got absolutely ZERO signal! Friends that visit with T-Mobile phones lose their signal about a mile up the road. Even with Sprint getting a signal I still ended up buying an Airave to get FULL signal. I do think T-Mobile is giving the other guys a run for their money in regular metro areas - just not where I live.

WIFI is still a decent way to go. I can park outside shops and McD's and pick it up for those moments when I GOTTA have info RIGHT now! Have to locate my Tom TOm though for the Jeep... And I still use it when parked on the sofa....
    I hear ya. So you're out in the back woods, eh? I know what that's like. Well, I guess you don't really have any choice about a carrier, then. Too bad. Yep, T-Mo is extremely competitive in my market. Here I have access to virtually any carrier (including MetroPCS, Cricket, etc.) and T-Mo beats them all when it comes to pricing.

If you ever move, I hope to hear you're on a carrier with a decent array of WP devices.
    03-09-2012 08:49 AM
    That is completely understandable. I won my Focus through one of Bing's Twitter contests, and I've only used it on WiFi. It is still really great (I prefer it over my Trophy, to be honest) and the functionality isn't really at all that restricted. I have texts set up through G Voice and now HeyTell lets me use it like a walkie talkie. Pretty neat. And then when I don't have WiFi, I just use it for music, games, and taking pictures (since the camera is 1000x better than the Trophy's).

What I'm saying is that Windows Phone is still a great OS on WiFi only, so there's no reason to feel out of place here.
    03-09-2012 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD