More details on Tango emerge

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
oh I know the android phones sale .. ( i work for bell ) we sale all does low end phones... on contract!!!! not full price..
I think Tango definitely has the potential to sell. The demographic of consumer who buys low end Android on contract often aren't aware of the OS on the phone so it won't matter that the Lumias will be WP.

There have actually been a number of experiments with regards to how consumers have responded to low-end smartphones with non-mainstream OSes. The Nokia Nuron is an example of a very successful non-Android phone sold under T-Mobile. (T-Mobile's success with the Nuron is probably what motivated it to carry the Nokia Astound and to promote the Lumia 710.)

On the other hand, there have also been flops; such, as with the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi. It ultimately comes down to the price, though. When consumers first caught eye on the nearly free touchscreen Nuron, their mouthes were drooling. Palm tried to charge high end Android prices and it flustered. OS is secondary in the low end market segment.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Muffasa indeed got it. The emerging markets are a huge potential revenue stream that is currently tapped mainly by RIM with low-end Blackberries. If Microsoft can put pressure on RIM there they can hurt them severely.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Jesus people really need to pull their heads out of their arses and realise that the world extends beyond the end of their street. Tango specific phones are not aimed at first world customers.

What does someone living in, for example, a non-affluent South African state need with the ability to manage podcasts on their phone? You think that someone scraping a living on a farm wants to listen to, or even knows what My Brother, My Brother and Me is? Why do they need auto image upload when their only connection to the internet is likely GPRS through their phone? Even at that they can still choose to upload images if they want. Why do they need Local Scout when more than likely there isn't anything for ****ing miles in any direction? Why do they need support for video codecs that they can't use anyway because they don't own a computer to compress them?

Even with that said I can see these phones having an appeal to consumers in better off places. Not everyone wants to drop ?400 or $600 on a new phone. Not everyone wants to get locked in to a contract, even a relatively cheap ?20 a month one.

Honestly I despair at such naivety and ignorance. The world is not made up of people like you. Something like 70-80% of the worlds population live in the developing world, the handsets that Tango makes possible are targeted at those markets. Not at you, so stop ****ing moaning about it.

/rant

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Jesus people really need to pull their heads out of their arses and realise that the world extends beyond the end of their street. Tango specific phones are not aimed at first world customers.

What does someone living in, for example, a non-affluent South African state need with the ability to manage podcasts on their phone? You think that someone scraping a living on a farm wants to listen to, or even knows what My Brother, My Brother and Me is? Why do they need auto image upload when their only connection to the internet is likely GPRS through their phone? Even at that they can still choose to upload images if they want. Why do they need Local Scout when more than likely there isn't anything for ****ing miles in any direction? Why do they need support for video codecs that they can't use anyway because they don't own a computer to compress them?

Even with that said I can see these phones having an appeal to consumers in better off places. Not everyone wants to drop ?400 or $600 on a new phone. Not everyone wants to get locked in to a contract, even a relatively cheap ?20 a month one.

Honestly I despair at such naivety and ignorance. The world is not made up of people like you. Something like 70-80% of the worlds population live in the developing world, the handsets that Tango makes possible are targeted at those markets. Not at you, so stop ****ing moaning about it.

/rant

thanks for that, something that really needed to be said.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Tango is for emerging markets. There are places in India where landline is unreliable or the infrastructure doesn't exist. People carry mobile phones here, yes even in the slums of Mumbai. And guess what is the most trusted brand in India? Not Apple, not HTC or Samsung but Nokia. If Nokia can convert a percentage of people carrying feature phones to Wp7 smart phones it will be a huge boost. The only way to do this is to bring down the price significantly and this is what Tango is set out to do.

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys.
May I intervene?
I believe you are talking the wrong way.
My understanding is Tango is next major update to WP7 Os, like Mango was.
It is not for emerging or developing markets, as some of you state here in the thread and elsewhere. It's for all markets throught the Ball.
And what Microsoft is telling is that some of Tango advanced functionality will be limited for (NOT TO) the phones having less than 256 Mb of the RAM. Handhelds having over 256 Mb RAM will preserve all anticipated TANGO functions with no compromising.
And you are talking something really strange and uncertain:)

Greets from Ukraine

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys.
May I intervene?
I believe you are talking the wrong way.
My understanding is Tango is next major update to WP7 Os, like Mango was.
It is not for emerging or developing markets, as some of you state here in the thread and elsewhere. It's for all markets throught the Ball.
And what Microsoft is telling is that some of Tango advanced functionality will be limited for (NOT TO) the phones having less than 256 Mb of the RAM. Handhelds having over 256 Mb RAM will preserve all anticipated TANGO functions with no compromising.
And you are talking something really strange and uncertain:)

Greets from Ukraine

I don't want to come across as a dick and just shoot you right down. But you're totally wrong about it being a major update. Microsoft themselves have said on numerous occasions that it is a minor update for the OS as a whole, see here, here, here and here.

From the last link there:

"1, the Tango is not a major the update.
2, the Tango is one of the the update belonging to of Mango.
Apollo would be the the next major update.
4. Tango is mainly for developing countries including China and India. These countries were neglected before and Microsoft would like to provide more Bing Services to them through Tango.
5. OEM would be selling cheaper Tango devices in these developing countries."

Finally, I don't think anyone here thinks that Tango will limit the functionality of non-256mb handsets.

Odessiter

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
mprice86

No need to shoot me down in all cases:)
Okay, I was wrong telling Mango is "major" update.
But as far as I understood while browsing the Web, Apollo will be a next version of OS even, rather than major update of it.
My point is that all phones receive Tango stuff, but some of them will have some improvements as compared to Mango (I mean those non-256mb) and some of them vice versa will be restricted in their functionality as compared to Mango again.

Hey, don't throw rotten apples at me, I'm still a newbie with my Omnia W:)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
tango = NoDo

high end phones ( 512 RAM ) will not lose anything , instead we we get an extra 4-5 feature . exactly like NODO,

only people getting the ORBIT or the Nokia 610 that are losing here.( the 2 phones with 256RAM)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster