No wonder WP7 marketshare sucks

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is the only carrier in the United States getting all the top Windows phones. T-Mobile has the Radar and Lumia (ugly phone) and no longer sells the HD7/DVP. Verizon and Sprint only have one windows phone.

And to top it off, the Lumia 900 is supposedly exclusive to ATT until Q3 this year and by that time it'll be unappealing compared to other phones that will be released even on other platforms.

I like Windows phone but at the moment, the only one that really appeals to me is the Lumia 900, which of course won't be available to anyone else but ATT until Q3, which of course will probably be AFTER the release of the next iPhone.

Dumb move by Nokia. They're just shooting themselves in the foot once again.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T is the only carrier in the United States getting all the top Windows phones. T-Mobile has the Radar and Lumia (ugly phone) and no longer sells the HD7/DVP. Verizon and Sprint only have one windows phone.

And to top it off, the Lumia 900 is supposedly exclusive to ATT until Q3 this year and by that time it'll be unappealing compared to other phones that will be released even on other platforms.

I like Windows phone but at the moment, the only one that really appeals to me is the Lumia 900, which of course won't be available to anyone else but ATT until Q3, which of course will probably be AFTER the release of the next iPhone.

Dumb move by Nokia. They're just shooting themselves in the foot once again.

You would be correct except for the fact that the Radar 4G and Lumia 710 are selling way more than the HD7 and DVP ever did.

And the marketshare numbers are not 100% the representation you think. First Windows Mobile 6.x devices are still in this figures. Second the smartphone market is growing so while for example 6 million devices would have be 10% a few years back, now its more like 3% (only example figures).

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You would be correct except for the fact that the Radar 4G and Lumia 710 are selling way more than the HD7 and DVP ever did.

Currently, they are #2 and #3 of T-Mobile US's three highest rated smartphones. Only the Galaxy 2S is rated higher.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Years ago, Nokia said they were not going to make any more CDMA phones (Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular). The last one on USCC I can recall was the 6265i from probably 2006.

I definitely can't blame Nokia for not wanting to make a special US-only version of a phone they already sell millions of on GSM networks.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Years ago, Nokia said they were not going to make any more CDMA phones (Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular). The last one on USCC I can recall was the 6265i from probably 2006.

I definitely can't blame Nokia for not wanting to make a special US-only version of a phone they already sell millions of on GSM networks.

same thing happen at BELL here in Canada , ZERO CDMA support from Nokia. then we got HSPA and Nokia was the first one to make a phone for us LOL!

CDMA is a CRAP connection, it maxes out at 3MB ( LTE goes to 50-75MB , do the math LOL ) + CDMA chips cost more to make sooo.

100% waste of cash to make CDMA phones now a dayz. if your carrier is ONLY on CDMA then I suggest LEAVING ASAP! for a carrier that doesn't use 10year old out dated slow technologies. lol

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
same thing happen at BELL here in Canada , ZERO CDMA support from Nokia. then we got HSPA and Nokia was the first one to make a phone for us LOL!

CDMA is a CRAP connection, it maxes out at 3MB ( LTE goes to 50-75MB , do the math LOL ) + CDMA chips cost more to make sooo.

100% waste of cash to make CDMA phones now a dayz. if your carrier is ONLY on CDMA then I suggest LEAVING ASAP! for a carrier that doesn't use 10year old out dated slow technologies. lol

on sprint I was lucky to even get 500kb/s and was excited when I did get it. As for the topic at hand, market share sucks but yet the lumia and radar are selling at T-mobile. I don't understand the logic, the logic in this op of the thread is a failure at best.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
You guys are just to funny. First of all america isn't the world it's a country.. And also Lumia 710 was number 3 on T-mobile in the us in feburary and from what i have heard no WP7 phone has had that high number for them before.. But you should be happy you get the LTE version of Lumia 900 in the US. It's not coming with LTE in sweden. Probably because there isn't so many carriers that have it, and also its just the big towns that has LTE...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
the international 900 at least in Germany is dual channel HSPA+ which is supposedly 82 mbps which is crazy fast for North America. Its mostly in the larger areas in Amrica I think my area is getting it probably early next year.

paradiseware.com

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
With WiFi so pervasive, the sluggish CDMA of Sprint isn't a problem. Especially since their prices are lower, I wish they would get a better WP.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
I feel that nokia, microsoft, t-mobile, and at&t should be commended for their efforts in the just the past 6 months. Their product, both phone, and OS, are getting better, no the windows phone platform isn't perfect. but at least we have a little more choice, and better things are to come. Sprint and Verizon are so android centric right now, it's not even funny, but maybe they will see the light :)

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to AT&T for what? Blocking OS updates after 7720 for kicks? Going back to NODO 'cause that worked so well, killing all the Mango Update good will that was created? I'm really thinking I screwed up by leaving a hardware maker that has balls and does not let the carrier run the show like MicroSOFT appears to be doing now. :mad:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
You guys are just to funny. First of all america isn't the world it's a country.
The United States is a very large and very strategic country. Losing out the United States is comparable to losing the entire European continent. That's a lot of customers!

These happen to be wealthy and highly lucrative customers, unlike those in developing nations such as China or India. (Refer to Nokia and RIM sales/stock.) I'd go so far as to say that the US accounts for 50%+ of consumers really worth having in this industry, since Eastern/Southern European nations are not worth as much.

The United States is also a technological stronghold. For example, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone are all developed by American corporations as well as desktop OSes such as Windows, Mac OSX, and a number of Linux distros.

CDMA is a 2G technology. LTE is a 3G/4G technology. They are not comparable at all. A phone can have both CDMA and LTE connections, such as those on the Verizon network. Sprint's data sucks because of its 3G network. It has 0 to do with CDMA. CDMA is directly comparable to GSM.

Last edited:

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
True there isn't alot of people in india/china that can afford lumia 800... but isnt intressting that nokia has done many commercials for 800 in india but nothing for the us..

is it only because 900 is the one they want to sell there?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

They just started shipping a cdma 800 to China.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia is doing great in Europe. Very great even. So here it is eating up marketshare from something at least (many seem to come from Android, tired of lag etc.). The Lumia 800 has been one of the most selling phones behind iPhone 4S and SGSII for a while now in most major stores. That's not bad. Quite the opposite.

As I type it is top 5 in most popular electronic products when checking Swedens most popular site ( www.prisjakt.se ) when it comes to check prices/info about products before buying. It has been on that top 5 list for weeks now.

Last edited:

ChristianKing

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember Microsoft started from scratch, which means they knew they would sacrifice all their market share or most of it. They had to build a system that could compete in a touch world. Unfortunately, in the time it took them to get to market, two ecosystems had already formed and received the good enough seal of approval from the buying customer. They have one significant advantage that they are starting to leverage though. The Windows and XBOX divisions are best in business. Tying the platform to those along with billions spent (Nokia for best in class hardware, Marketing, etc...) will ultimately get them an acceptable share of the market. The future of Microsoft is dependent on being relevant in the mobile space. Carrier relationships can change in a year. One hit device and suddenly, your the new Apple in the mobile space. Be patient. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077