Tmo upgrade help from my WP homies!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
'kay, so I've been using a DVP since it launched in 2010, getting a bit long in the tooth but frankly I'm just a bit bored. There's nothing really exciting on Tmo so I have to make do with either a Radar or 710. Only thing is I would like tethering so that makes the Radar a better fit (though I hate white phones) but I prefer Nokia for their bundled applications. Both of them though would give me better performance in browsing, picture taking and gaming. Whatever I buy though is just to get me through till WP8 devices hit so I can make do with any quirks either device may have.

So what would you choose, or have already chosen? I'm sure some have faced this question, are you still happy with what you chose?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have not used the Radar except for a few minutes at the T-Mo store. But my wife has a Lumia 710 and she really enjoys it. I have to say, it's a fast WP7 device. Very fast. And the screen is gorgeous.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
it depend on what you need
1G cpu with front facing camera, tethering, battery 1520mAh and 4G
OR
1.4 CPU better apps but no front facing camera or tethering, battery 1300mAh and 3G

im not you so
i don't use skype on my desktop and i don't need tethering or 4G
so i'll go with 710 just for the apps, cpu and better design

but which is better i think radar has better hardware specifications

freshairr

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same situation and though I really like Nokia's bundled apps, I ultimately went for the radar because of the better build quality (imo, less plastic) and the capacitive buttons (didn't like the physical ones on the lumia).

The huge battery is also awesome and I can go a full day without charging, and that included GPS navigation. O__O

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I was in the same situation and though I really like Nokia's bundled apps, I ultimately went for the radar because of the better build quality (imo, less plastic) and the capacitive buttons (didn't like the physical ones on the lumia).

The huge battery is also awesome and I can go a full day without charging, and that included GPS navigation. O__O

Thanks, thats another thing the DVP fails on. My phone is currently plugged in with no use apart from checking email, browsing and using built in twitter and some apps. Would be nice to have a phone I can use for a full day.

And just to confirm, you get A2DP when playing videos with either of these, right?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Prices not considered, I would go for the Radar. FFC, slightly bigger screen and superior battery all trump a faster processor, especially since the Radar is still uber-speedy. I just played with one today and it's sweet. Plus you can get a case for it, and HTC bundles some great apps also. I have an HD7 and the HTC Hub is the best weather app on the platform imo. And there's also the sound enhancer for some much needed audio tweaking. Not to mention the tethering... I'm currently considering a 710 as my next phone, but because 1 It's off-contract price is $115 lower than the Radar (here in Canada) and 2 My carrier won't push the tethering update for my HD7 so I have no reason to believe they'll support it on the Radar.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

brad4560

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
The pros's and con's for each phone are pretty spelled out here. I looked at the radar as well, but was sold on the 710 after playing with it at the t mo store, it just seemed like the right phone for me, no need for a front facing camera, and the quality isn't cheap I feel. and it is snappy as ****!. hope you make the right choice for your phone needs.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The radar is a very nice phone. Only 8GB of storage on board, but same with the Lumia 710. I'd get the radar and slap a colored case on it like this:

Amazon.com: htc radar argyle gel

Radar has: Tethering, FFC, good screen.
Lumia 710 has: Better screen, a bit faster camera, and the Nokia apps.

So its a hard decision. If need tethering, Radar it is. Nokia apps alone make the 710 worth it, but its fast camera and clear screen are also big selling points.

*edited for accuracy*

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Tethering is coming to the 710. The rumours say the same time the 900 (finally) hits the shelves.

But then there will be the additional wait till it hits carrier branded devices, like Tmo's. Dont think its been updated past 7720 IIRC, and it will be frustrating waiting for an update for a feature I intend to use.

Very tempted, but the colour keeps holding me back, dont want to look like an iclone, do I? :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
OK, so a question on upgrades for Tmo users, I dont normally buy contract phones so I'm not sure if this will work.

I have 2 lines on my account, my line is up for an upgrade so I can get the Radar for $99. The other line is up for an upgrade in December and has a Blackberry on it. Will there be any problem using the upgrade on the second line for a new high end WP handset (if there ever is one) and using that phone on my line? Both lines now have data plans on them so does that help?

I also found a site which will help with my preference for a darker colour, Cell Phone Skins | Laptop Skins | iPod Skins | Custom Skins - Unique Skins, so for a few bucks more I can have a device more to my liking.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
OK, so a question on upgrades for Tmo users, I dont normally buy contract phones so I'm not sure if this will work.

I have 2 lines on my account, my line is up for an upgrade so I can get the Radar for $99. The other line is up for an upgrade in December and has a Blackberry on it. Will there be any problem using the upgrade on the second line for a new high end WP handset (if there ever is one) and using that phone on my line? Both lines now have data plans on them so does that help?

I also found a site which will help with my preference for a darker colour, Cell Phone Skins | Laptop Skins | iPod Skins | Custom Skins - Unique Skins, so for a few bucks more I can have a device more to my liking.
As best I know, since T-Mobile is a GSM carrier, you should be able to switch out phones any way you please. I don't buy contract phones, either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb