I decided to forward my POP3 accounts to Hotmail so I could benefit from EAS-style e-mail (push). Well, it doesn't really work. Actually, it works if I turn WiFi off. Pretty fast, too. If WiFi is off, and I change an e-mail to unread in Hotmail (web interface) it changes on the phone within seconds. But with WiFi on, I pretty much don't get e-mail at all, if I have it set to "As items arrive."

IF I change to receive every 15 minutes, it works fine, but now we're back to POP3 style behavior which I was trying to avoid in the first place.

I already unchecked "sync e-mail" to re-setup the account on the phone and that did nothing. It really seems to be related to when WiFi is on. It's as if the Hotmail side doesn't know which IP to push e-mail to (my ISP or AT&T) when WiFi is on.

Any help? I am very frustrated. Even worse, it is possible an OS update fixes this but we'd never know, because AT&T has become worthless with updates.
    03-10-2012 08:21 AM
    Let me ask it a different way: does anyone have problems receiving e-mails in Hotmail on their WP running 7720 with the setting "As items arrive" when they are also using WiFi?
    03-11-2012 06:38 AM
    [I] have not experienced that issue that I am aware of. Not sure how my hotmail push is set up will try to check that out and get back with you.
    03-11-2012 04:42 PM
    No issues here but then again I don't have WiFi to check.
    03-11-2012 10:31 PM
    Hotmail isn't IMAP it is pop3, your Windowslive account will make it like IMAP.
    03-12-2012 07:43 AM
    I am on AT&T, and keep data and WiFi on 24/7. I have both a Hotmail and Live account set to "push", as items arrive, and have not experienced any any issues. Messages typically arrive within seconds, and always in under a minute.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    03-12-2012 08:54 AM
    Not sure what is different, but right now I got my last test message 3 minutes after sending, which is still rather slow but is something. I have Hotmail open in the browser, so maybe that somehow makes push work. I will try closing it and see if it changes behavior. WiFi has been off since 7:30 and I had some really large lag (over an hour) before it even refreshed. So right now it's not even like turning WiFi off makes it work instantly.
    03-13-2012 08:41 AM
    Tried it after closing Hotmail in the browser. An e-mail took 11 minutes to push. WTF is wrong with this thing...and who knows how it will act when I go home and turn on WiFi. I am trying to create another Live ID because right now I am using an alias. My e-mails also say "on behalf of" all over them because I am using e-mail forwarding from my POP3 accounts, rather than having Hotmail check them using POP3 (I thought it would be faster). But I don't think this has anything to do with it because my test mails are directly to my Hotmail alias, not the POP3 accounts.
    03-13-2012 08:56 AM
    And now I'm getting nothing again. Last e-mail received 11:17am. Yet my POP3 accounts are syncing and there are 3 new e-mails since then that haven't been pushed yet (the newest arrived 30 minutes ago in the POP3 accounts).

If I press sync it works fine. If I reboot the phone, it syncs once fine. I think if I turn airplane mode on and off, it syncs fine. But I think those are ALL manual syncs. The automatic ones are just so unreliable. It almost seems server side to me, but I don't know.

EDIT: Just to be clear, these 3 e-mails are in my Hotmail inbox on the web. They just aren't being pushed to my phone!
    Last edited by kevm14; 03-13-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    03-13-2012 12:50 PM
    And now I'm getting nothing again. Last e-mail received 11:17am. Yet my POP3 accounts are syncing and there are 3 new e-mails since then that haven't been pushed yet (the newest arrived 30 minutes ago in the POP3 accounts).

If I press sync it works fine. If I reboot the phone, it syncs once fine. I think if I turn airplane mode on and off, it syncs fine. But I think those are ALL manual syncs. The automatic ones are just so unreliable. It almost seems server side to me, but I don't know.

EDIT: Just to be clear, these 3 e-mails are in my Hotmail inbox on the web. They just aren't being pushed to my phone!
    Try deleting all your deleted emails in your Hotmail and POP accounts on the web browser and your Windows Phone, and then do a manual sync on your accounts on your Windows Phone. That might work.
    03-13-2012 02:27 PM
    I had a single message in my deleted items. That seemed to "wake it up" though it still takes 5+ minutes. I am trying to create a real Live ID instead of using this dumb alias, and I will submit something to MS if I cannot get it resolved when I start using that actual new Live ID.
    03-13-2012 03:15 PM
    I haven't had texting since I got the Focus and atnt account. Although I do have a free-texting app that a few of my "people" use, my Hotmail account with as-arrive settings, works almost as quickly as texting so that I have no incentive to spend for texting. Wi-Fi is on continuously.

P.S. Atandt will never get a chance to update my phone: Only Zune-prompted updates for this smoothly-operating 36.9-GB install.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 03-13-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    03-13-2012 06:29 PM
    I dont have much if any delay on messages sometimes it takes longer to get appointments and to dos from the phone to the laptop and vice versa
    03-13-2012 08:57 PM
    Perhaps it would be helpful to know which phone you have.
    03-13-2012 11:57 PM
    AT&T Titan. Been on the charger all night, WiFi on. The Hotmail inbox matches my POP3 inbox, but the most recent e-mail was 4:40am so I have no idea how delayed it was. But at least it DID work.
    03-14-2012 05:57 AM
    2 e-mails received on POP3 65 minutes ago...nothing on Hotmail (WiFi off now). I'm sure I could manually sync...
    03-14-2012 07:59 AM
    Turned on airplane mode, then turned it off, and Hotmail sync'd automatically (as expected and demonstrated previously). This may be related to some of the data issues I've seen on this phone. Though I made sure data worked - Bing searched worked, and obviously my POP accounts were updating!!
    03-14-2012 08:34 AM
    AT&T Titan. Been on the charger all night, WiFi on. The Hotmail inbox matches my POP3 inbox, but the most recent e-mail was 4:40am so I have no idea how delayed it was. But at least it DID work.
    You can stop experimenting now- your problem isn't WiFi, or WP7, or build 7720. The issue is the Titan and how it switches (or fails to switch) between WiFi data and 3G data connections. Your issue can occur in the manner in which you have been describing, or can occur randomly while surfing a web page, or within an app. It's a problem specifically with the Titan. The forums here have talked about it, and the XDA forums discuss it.

I am hopeful that this is a software issue that HTC will patch with new drivers, but it's remarkably annoying. I've actually simply turned off WiFi, and that solves the problem.

Is it an acceptable solution? No. Does my Titan work correctly now? Yes.

Toggling wifi off then back on will also fix your issue for a limited and random amount of time.
    03-14-2012 09:55 AM
    I thought that was a possibility, as I mentioned in my OP that an update could help, but AT&T sucks so I'll never know.

Also, even with WiFi off, it doesn't seem like Hotmail push works all that well (contrary to what I claimed initially), at least not consistently. But I guess it could still be a Titan issue somehow.
    03-14-2012 10:29 AM
    I thought that was a possibility, as I mentioned in my OP that an update could help, but AT&T sucks so I'll never know.

Also, even with WiFi off, it doesn't seem like Hotmail push works all that well (contrary to what I claimed initially), at least not consistently. But I guess it could still be a Titan issue somehow.
    Now that I haven't seen. I see your problem all the time with WiFi on, but haven't seen it with WiFi off yet.
    03-14-2012 10:56 AM

If Rogers has the titan then you might be able to do 7740 and 8107 by the regssitry edit switching to Rogers CA from ATT-US and updating and regedit back to ATT-US!
    03-14-2012 02:13 PM
    I did absolutely nothing except change Hotmail settings to pull from my two POP3 accounts (instead of forwarding from the POP3 accounts). Probably a coincidence but, knock wood, everything SEEMS to be working alright at the moment (still quite lagged though), even with turning WiFi on at home and off at night. So...yay Titan? Just welcome those OS updates...which I may not see until Apollo at this point. If AT&T even allows that. If I could debrand the phone I would but I'm not sure it's been figured out on the Titan yet.
    Last edited by kevm14; 03-16-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    03-16-2012 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD