Infuriated by this!

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been a big advocate of WP7 since I started using it, this isn't so much WP7 being a pain as all the support tools and possibly my phone.

I haven't been able to upgrade past Mango and have just kept getting an error which no-one seems to be able to solve, the only resolution was apparently to wipe the phone and start from scratch. I was reluctant to do that as i couldn't find a way to back up all my messages. After getting frustrated with all the bugs in Mango, like the keyboard bug, dropping net connectivity and requiring a restart, etc... I finally figured i would try backing up the phone, wiping it, updating it and then restoring it. Hoping that maybe that would allow me to update and get rid of these bugs while retaining everything, i thought the worst case it would restore everything back to my old settings on Mango, but...

...it seems when using the Mac Connector that only one backup can be made and selecting 'Restore' will restore that backup, it also appears that when you wipe the phone it wipes that backup too so hitting 'Restore' just restores a blank ROM. Add to that the update failed again with the same problem so i've lost all the messages and i'm stuck on the un-updated version of the OS with an out-of-warranty phone and every day i get taunted with the 'an update is available for your phone' notification. And just one last PITA is that i have to restore all the apps one-by-one and re-download all my zune pass music which of course doesn't sync.

WP7 is an excellent OS, Zune Pass is absolutely brilliant as well as the Office and XBox integration but these frustrations might just be a bit too much to risk for my next contract, particularly since i use my phone for work. The keyboard thing is annoying but i can deal with it, the net connectivity dropping is too much of a pain though, far too unreliable for my primary device unfortunately.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
And if all that weren't enough now when i try to re-install my apps from the website the marketplace is giving the playful and mind-numbingly uninformative:
Oops...
Something went wrong and we can't show you this page right now.

It's getting awfully close to My Windows Phone just got smoked by a hammer!...and replaced with something that's not a Windows Phone!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The Mac WP Connector really is quite awful with backups. I've more or less given up using it other than to sync music and photos back and forth.

One thing to try might be to download a free trial of parallels, download the Windows 8 CP (i.e. both free) and install it, and then download Zune and update the phone that way. Then uninstall/reinstall Mac WP Connector and start from scratch with a (hopefully) updated phone. Not ideal at all, but it may get you a usable phone again.

Another option might be to flash your phone with a goldcard/Y-USB cable. These are mainly used for unlocking/debranding, but you can also use them to flash new firmware (I flashed my old HTC Mozart using a goldcard I'd bought to debrand it and the correct file from the leaked Mango ROM). Again, it'll wipe your phone but might get you to a state where you have an up-to-date phone to start from.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
first of all you should of check my * GETTING STARTED section *
there is a machine called CELEBRITE witch can restore your Messages.( most all mobile stores have it )

second: what is the ERROR code your getting? can you copy past it here please! im sure there is a fix! its not possible your the ONLY one in the world with this problem.

to re-downlaod ALL the apps. simp,ly get the app * REINSTALER* from he marketplace , it will find all your apps and re-instal them for you.

or keep trying to get them at: Windowsphone.com

if not you can double boot your mac with WINDOWS and use an actual ZUNE program to do it

get a copy of Windows online ( with out the serial number ) its gona give you 30 dayz trial . with that you should have time to instal ZUNE and and fix it up

frioevie

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I have those same problems with my phones keyboard and the connectivity. But my husband said their is an update just at&t hasn't rolled it out so therefore im stuck with these issues cuz at&t is being slow :-/

Sent from my {amazing windows phone} using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yea try to find the error code. Microsoft has a site that explains what all the error codes mean and how to solve them. And yea mac sucks!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have those same problems with my phones keyboard and the connectivity. But my husband said their is an update just at&t hasn't rolled it out so therefore im stuck with these issues cuz at&t is being slow :-/

Sent from my {amazing windows phone} using Board Express

I'm guessing AT&T will roll the 8107 update into the Tango update, which is what they've done for previous updates.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't remember what the error code was, i think it might have been 80180048, i might try again tonight and grab the error code out of there and post it.

Originally i did this on a PC with Zune and got this failure, the only possible solution solution outside of factory reset and the windows phone support tool was to reflash:
[Guide] How to update/change the ROM - xda-developers

An even less appealing solution to a PITA problem, after this debacle which has just been a huge waste of time I don't think i'll bother going through all that again with a reflash. For me it's simply a matter of not wanting to waste time doing it, but you can imagine how the prospect of doing that looks to someone who isn't quite so technically minded.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as getting your apps back again, you could try the app "Reinstaller", it has very positive reviews on the Marketplace.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes i'm using Reinstaller now, quite good, but you still have to go through the download/confirm process for each app. iTunes has a feature to download all your purchases on your PC and sync them to your device, shame Zune doesn't have something similar.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes i'm using Reinstaller now, quite good, but you still have to go through the download/confirm process for each app. iTunes has a feature to download all your purchases on your PC and sync them to your device, shame Zune doesn't have something similar.

I can't remember what the error code was, i think it might have been 80180048, i might try again tonight and grab the error code out of there and post it.

Originally i did this on a PC with Zune and got this failure, the only possible solution solution outside of factory reset and the windows phone support tool was to reflash:
[Guide] How to update/change the ROM - xda-developers

An even less appealing solution to a PITA problem, after this debacle which has just been a huge waste of time I don't think i'll bother going through all that again with a reflash. For me it's simply a matter of not wanting to waste time doing it, but you can imagine how the prospect of doing that looks to someone who isn't quite so technically minded.

when you did it on PC where you the only one that had a WP connected to it? cause your phone NEEDS to be the primary device on ZUNE to get updates/sync/..etc.... ( if some one had sync a WP before your it probably dint recognize YOURS as Primary.

as for the IPHONE sync thing , that's all related to I-CLOUD nothing to do with Itunes directly ( itunes is just the tool that links it ) MS is working on this option with SKYDRIVE , its juts not ready yet :(

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
first of all you should of check my * GETTING STARTED section *
there is a machine called CELEBRITE witch can restore your Messages.( most all mobile stores have it )

Can you explain more about this machine, would this work for WP's or just feature phones? And is it something you can request, even at a cost?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you explain more about this machine, would this work for WP's or just feature phones? And is it something you can request, even at a cost?

we use to charge 15$ to do it . basicly what it does is back up most of the info

Contacts , media , pictures , SMS etc...... it should support ALL phones if it doesn't its maybe because they havent updated the machine!

the website for more info is here: http://www.cellebrite.com/retail-products/retail-products.html

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
we use to charge 15$ to do it . basicly what it does is back up most of the info

Contacts , media , pictures , SMS etc...... it should support ALL phones if it doesn't its maybe because they havent updated the machine!

the website for more info is here: Cellebrite - Mobile Retail Products

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can find a shop willing to do this for my 2 DVP's so I can move my SMS to a Radar.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
when you did it on PC where you the only one that had a WP connected to it? cause your phone NEEDS to be the primary device on ZUNE to get updates/sync/..etc.... ( if some one had sync a WP before your it probably dint recognize YOURS as Primary.

Yes, it was on my desktop and im the only one who has connected a WP device to it.

as for the IPHONE sync thing , that's all related to I-CLOUD nothing to do with Itunes directly ( itunes is just the tool that links it ) MS is working on this option with SKYDRIVE , its juts not ready yet :(

It's not iCloud, it's just the iTunes store, you can download all your purchases in one go to your PC and then sync them to your device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786