They said microsoft were mad

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
This is a quote from an article about the 10th Anniversary of Xbox. Hopefully they made the same mistake with WP7.

'Not bad considering everybody thought Microsoft was mad to enter the console gaming space, and few thought the company would be able to compete with Nintendo and Sony.'

full article here Xbox: 10 years old today - Pocket-lint

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Too bad Sony cheated the original Xbox by buying exclusive rights to some top hardcore games like GTA for instance. Had this not have been done the Xbox would've been a top seller in Gen 6

lavalleema

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Exclusivity is BS and does nothing but hurt consumers. Making a game and only releasing it for one year on a console... who does that help? Not you and me, that's for sure. First party apps I get. MS Game Studios, Nintendo, even Sony had produced their own games, though not as often (Legend of Dragoon was by Sony on PS1).

If a developer chooses to develop for one platform, fine, but for an OEM to go to a developer and say "we'll give you 100k if you ONLY develop for Xbox360", for example, is total bull. You bought a PS3? Oh too bad now you can't play "whatever game insert here". You traded your PS3 to get a 360 to play that game? Oh too bad you need to play this other game on our system.

Really the worst part is that we let them do it to us. Really we do.

Microsoft had a pretty hardcore exclusivity campaign going on for Japanese developers there for a while too - look at Mistwalker's "Lost Odyssey" and "Star Ocean: The Last Hope" which only released for PS3 a year after its 360 version (Lost Odyssey never released for PS3).

Back to point - if Grand Theft Auto (or any game) released for PS3 and 360 (or whatever consoles there were at the time of release) then the only factor "wooing" us towards one machine or the other would be that machine's abilities.

Case in point - the 360 beat the PS3 to market, but the original 360 was horrible. It only just now (with the new design) got good. The original couldn't even do HDMI!

So they rushed to market, made it the only "new" thing, got a bunch of exclusives on it and sold you a piece of sod. Really they did! When mine burnt out (which is what happens essentially when your 360 red rings), I sold all my 360 games and went PS3 exclusively. WHY? Because Microsoft made a flawed piece of hardware and buying a new one only rewards them for doing it. Buying a new one simply would have told them "you can sell me any type of half baked gadget you want, I'll not only buy one, I'll get two!"

Which is really sad, because the original Xbox was OUTSTANDING and despite being a complete BEAST, was hands down better than Gamecube/PS2.

So yeah, exclusives anger me.

Cheers!

:D

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
It is funny. I have Xbox and windows phones. I do not cheer for Xbox. Why do I need gold membership to watch YouTube?

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
probably because the company wants to make money and Sony never grasped the potential.

Anyway I thought the Xbox was doing OK and it was only the high cost of the graphics chip that forced them to stop selling so early and get the 360 out the door.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The 360 was rushed out to be the first to market - hence the design flaws that led to the RROD issue that cost MS millions in replacements. As and when the next Xbox arrives, I hope they test it this time. I barely use mine because it's an original one and I know its days are numbered. Plus it sounds like a jet engine starting up.

MS have done well in the console market from a cold start, but they could still do better and give their customers a better deal. Time to ditch the fee for Xbox live.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The fee isn't bad, you're only paying it once a year. Plus there's always cards to make it cheaper. They do this to ensure that everyone has a secure gaming experience, we all know what happened to PSN which is free.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Sony got GTA

we got HALO!!!! Halo is MUCH bigger then any game on Playstation.

I do find it kinda stupid to 75$ for 12 months , the only advantage you get is like cross game chatting. (compare to PS3) but i pay it any ways :p

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
it's called being anti competitive. The original Xbox was in every way more superior to the ps2

Yes, it was bigger, clunkier, had a poor SDK at launch, memory leaks, and used 3x more power.

Oh, and from a lawyer, that has nothing to do with "anti-competition."

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it was bigger, clunkier, had a poor SDK at launch, memory leaks, and used 3x more power.

Oh, and from a lawyer, that has nothing to do with "anti-competition."

better graphics,faster processor,better hardware that doesn't disc read error out every year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion