Database app

wcalhoun

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to WP7, but there appears to be no database apps available. Is there no Handbase or MobileDB style database apps? What prevents them from existing?

Thanks!

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If I correctly understand what a Database app is I think there are no limitations to make one.
You do have excell on a WP7 so there's your DB managment and you can do most stuff there.
An app could be done to sync the DB between devices if though.
What do you expect from a DB app?

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Try DataHub

You may check the app DataHub: DataHub in the US Marketplace

Or Database: Database in the US Marketplace

What prevents them from existing?

It seems, somewhat surprisingly, that managing data on smartphones is quite a niche application: Only few people seem to do it in any serious way.

Contrast that with the considerable complexity of a good smartphone database app, and the still low market share of WP7.

By the way: If you look at the reviews of those two apps it becomes clear very quickly that there are tons and *tons* of features that one can reasonably wish for in a database app. It just never ends...

mulder

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
DB app pickings are pretty slim, but I understand the point about not many people using db apps on a phone. It would be nice if MS would support MS Access on mobile devices.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The problem persists even in the Win 8 Metro environemnt. WinRT doesn't have it's own database, and doesn't even have support for talking to server databases (no System.Data.* classes). You wind up having to write your app to talk to a web service that then talks to the database.

Even if the app is running in Metro on a desktop machine.

There's an effort to port the SQLite library to WinRT, but it's kind of sad that it's come to this.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Most people who think they need a db on a mobile are just coding things wrong or trying to use the device for something it was never intended to do.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well apparently there's not a big demand for it or more devs would have developed apps to fill the need. Put it in the suggestion app enough and MS will add it with any luck!

akash kakadiya

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Yeah, bump

can you give me app with code which include database scenario.like user signup detail store in database and than when user want to login in that app fetching that signup data detail from database.
i hope you definitely help me ,i am totally new to windows phone app development.i search many place for this matter but not getting ans according to my expectation.i see you develop app which is very much resemble to my expectation so can u please help me.?

Jason Mac Entee

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Try DataHub

You may check the app DataHub: DataHub in the US Marketplace

By the way: If you look at the reviews of those two apps it becomes clear very quickly that there are tons and *tons* of features that one can reasonably wish for in a database app. It just never ends...

rbrunner... thank you for the shout-out. We are about to update DataHub to fix the broken DropBox support, then add SkyDrive, then add Windows 8/RT version... and THEN start adding some of those tons of requested features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac