03-23-2012 03:22 PM
29 12
tools
    My wife was abroad the other week, and she encountered something really rubbish with Windows phone.

Roaming data charges are quite insane still, so data she switches data off while abroad. Now, she uses the Lumia to take some pics of whatever - people, places, etc. and would like to share them with family that she is visiting.

1. Not everyone has a wifi connection, so she can't just email them.

2. WP doesn't offer Bluetooth file transfer

3. WP won't work as a USB mass storage device

4. The only option was to install Zune on family or friends' computer to share pictures.

Is this really supposed to be a "well connected" device?

The more I think about it, the more fed up we're getting with this piece of cr*p...

Can anyone else think of a way, when there's no wifi connection?
    03-19-2012 09:41 AM
    When she can find a WiFi connection, have her upload the pictures to Skydrive or Picasa or any other picture hosting web space.
    03-19-2012 09:48 AM
    When she can find a WiFi connection, have her upload the pictures to Skydrive or Picasa or any other picture hosting web space.
    That's easy to say for us here in western Europe and North America where everyone has a WiFi router at home. In eastern Europe, a landline internet connection is much more expensive than a 3G internet stick as a modem. Not many people have their own WiFi network set up at home.
    03-19-2012 09:55 AM
    Even in eastern Europe I would think she could find a coffee shop or internet cafe with WiFi. Are there any colleges or hospitals around? They may have a public/guest WiFi connection. Just a thought.
    03-19-2012 10:05 AM
    Even in eastern Europe I would think she could find a coffee shop or internet cafe with WiFi. Are there any colleges or hospitals around? They may have a public/guest WiFi connection. Just a thought.
    Yes, there are cafes etc. with Wifi, but you have to pay.

But let's be honest, picture this scenario: I'm not being sarcastic, just real life situation:

Visiting family, you take some good pictures on your windows phone of a family dinner. You'd like to share these with the family members. They don't have Wifi at home. Do you get up and say "I'm gonna go into town to find a coffee shop to email you these pictures. I'll be back in half an hour"? Don't think so.

So, install Zune on their computer. That's Microsoft's answer. That's just BS. I think it's something nobody thinks about - data roaming is such a stumbling block.

Microsoft is an international company, but with an American viewpoint, not realising that people all over the world cross boarders every day, and can't use the data services because they're just too expensive.

At least there's now the offline version of Drive...
    03-21-2012 04:31 AM
    Glad to see someone else noting this problem.

The BT limitation is a major negative factor.
    03-21-2012 04:39 AM
    When the phone is plugged into a computer it should use the computer's internet connection, so you could always do that. Or does that require Zune to be installed also?

Personally, I'd just send the pictures out when my trip was over.
    03-21-2012 08:27 AM
    MS has a suggestion site and for WP there is a suggestion app. However it may only be available in US and North America ( I am not sure). The more people that post the need for BT file sharing the more likely it is to be added to the feature set for WP
    03-21-2012 08:30 AM
    Not positive, but pretty sure you can connect a WP to an ad hoc WiFi connection. So if anyone had a laptop/device with WiFi, create a connection and use one of several WP apps to transfer the files. No Internet connection required.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    03-21-2012 09:10 AM
    few things you can do.

1 get a local SIM card for your Nokia in the country your are in.
    2. man up and send the picture and pay the bill like every one else.
    3. call your carrier before you go to Europe and add a ROAMING DATA option
    4. stop complaining about this being a WP issue cause its the same for EVERY single OS.
    5. ask a Local to share his hotspot WIFI with you for 30 secs. ( I do this all the time )
    6. use skydive and share public.
    7 use the app: flick+share
    8. dont send the picture , wait a few days till you come back.

FYI:

Regarding BT , im not sure how your planing on sharing picture with BT over seas. im pretty sure BT only has a 25feet range LOL! so how this is relevant to you roaming , only god knows. and BT sharing is coming in the future BTW. all the new phones already support NFC.

roaming has nothing to do with MS and its the same issue even if you have an Iphone , android , BB or a WP. so its not a legitimate complaint for this site.

so basically if i understand your complaint correctly your blaming MS for Roaming and not having BT sharing ( witch wouldn't help you more in roaming situations LOL )
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 03-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    03-21-2012 10:56 AM
    I don't think you understand him correctly. The way I took it was that the issue is that his wife is at her family's house. There is no WiFi available, and her data is turned off as to not pay roaming charges. The issue is that, short of installing zune or paying roaming or leaving to track down WiFi, there is no simple way to get the pics off of the phone. Granted, options 1,2,3, and 8 that you give are legitimate it's just the "roaming has nothing to do with MS and its the same issue even if you have an Iphone , android , BB or a WP. so its not a legitimate complaint for this site" part that is wrong. He isn't complaining about roaming, he is complaining about not being able to access pics without zune or data, which is an issue with WP. Also, BT transfer WOULD help because his wife was physically at the place where she wanted to share. This is one of my few gripes with WP, I miss beaming items to other phones.
    linooliveira likes this.
    03-21-2012 02:56 PM
    but it IS possible to share pics/vids OFFLINE.. its one app. lol

Flick+share
    is the name of the app (works between all OS IOS,BB,WP,Android etc.. )
    I haven had reception on my phone in over 1 week and I still share info ( I need to take a picture of my team's stats every day and send it by e-mail ) I use flick+share. I take the pic , flick up to my other Phone (with work e-mail ) then forward that to my boss's e-mail on the go.

not once do i connect to PC , BT or Data. + i cant instal any thing on my work PC.

so budy , tell your wife to buy Flick+share. problem solved!

PS flick+share needs looks for your location before it turns on but you dont need location on to use it.
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 03-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    03-21-2012 03:08 PM
    @Se1fcr3ation

Does Flick+share use normal WiFi or a 3G data connection?

Or does it connect directly via WiFi to another phone?
    03-21-2012 04:28 PM
    im not 100% sure , but I think its WIFI transfer phone to phone

all I know is , it works! lol
    03-21-2012 04:46 PM
    I have a hard time believing that that works without a data connection.
    03-21-2012 06:56 PM
    I think it's ridiculous to be annoyed that a smartphone is less useful without 3G or Wifi! DUH!
    03-21-2012 07:59 PM
    I think it's ridiculous to be annoyed that a smartphone is less useful without 3G or Wifi! DUH!
    If there is no other connection option then it is no longer a smartphone.

You may as well use a 1998 Nokia 3110.
    03-22-2012 03:56 AM
    I don't think you understand him correctly. The way I took it was that the issue is that his wife is at her family's house. There is no WiFi available, and her data is turned off as to not pay roaming charges. The issue is that, short of installing zune or paying roaming or leaving to track down WiFi, there is no simple way to get the pics off of the phone. Granted, options 1,2,3, and 8 that you give are legitimate it's just the "roaming has nothing to do with MS and its the same issue even if you have an Iphone , android , BB or a WP. so its not a legitimate complaint for this site" part that is wrong. He isn't complaining about roaming, he is complaining about not being able to access pics without zune or data, which is an issue with WP. Also, BT transfer WOULD help because his wife was physically at the place where she wanted to share. This is one of my few gripes with WP, I miss beaming items to other phones.
    Thanks for understanding the problem. It's not blaming MS for roaming, it's about not being able to download a pic from a phone without a data connection.

Look, to all who say that it's the same with all OSes, it's not.

Symbian and BBOS devices can simply send pics to other devices, PCs etc. through Bluetooth, no problem. Alternatively, they also work as mass storage devices on USB (I believe Android can do this too?)

We've gone and made UIs slicker and cooler and smoother, but have less functionality than devices from 3, 4 or even 5 years ago.

Of course a smartphone is going to be less functional withouth 3G or WiFi, but being able to download a pic to a PC should work without a data connection, at least I think so.

Topic local SIM Card - she has one, but not a micro SIM, so that would have been a trip to the shop and getting a new SIM for the Lumia. Not out of the question, and worth thinking about for next time, just a little bit of a hassle.

PS: gonna look into flick+share
    03-22-2012 10:36 AM
    Topic local SIM Card - she has one, but not a micro SIM, so that would have been a trip to the shop and getting a new SIM for the Lumia. Not out of the question, and worth thinking about for next time, just a little bit of a hassle.

PS: gonna look into flick+share
    yeah its a bit of a hassle , but you'll notice that ALLOT of the airports around the world actually have Cellphone carriers In the airport :P so you shouldn't have to go to far :)
    03-22-2012 10:44 AM
    but it IS possible to share pics/vids OFFLINE.. its one app. lol

Flick+share
    is the name of the app (works between all OS IOS,BB,WP,Android etc.. )
    I haven had reception on my phone in over 1 week and I still share info ( I need to take a picture of my team's stats every day and send it by e-mail ) I use flick+share. I take the pic , flick up to my other Phone (with work e-mail ) then forward that to my boss's e-mail on the go.

not once do i connect to PC , BT or Data. + i cant instal any thing on my work PC.

so budy , tell your wife to buy Flick+share. problem solved!

PS flick+share needs looks for your location before it turns on but you dont need location on to use it.
    If this really is the case and flick+share works without any data, I stand corrected, and I really need to check out this app. :-)
    03-22-2012 12:19 PM
    so couldn't your wife's friend/family turn their phone into a hotspot for her to tack on to?

secondly, i think u can connect to internet through usb cable like PG2G suggested (or at least ive done it before)

im pretty sure iphone is in the same boat as far as not able to connect to computer as mass storage device, it is actually more secure that way

bluetooth file transfer on the other hand is too bad we don't have, but i think they are trying to get nfc and make that beam thingy...
    03-22-2012 03:10 PM
    so couldn't your wife's friend/family turn their phone into a hotspot for her to tack on to?
    secondly, i think u can connect to internet through usb cable like PG2G suggested (or at least ive done it before)
    Why is everyone rationalising this whole issue?
    This is almost like telling a person that has no shoes how to walk through a field of thorns: "It will be better if you learn how to walk on the points of your toes....." wtf!

im pretty sure iphone is in the same boat as far as not able to connect to computer as mass storage device, it is actually more secure that way
    Comparing with iPhone is pointless and it has nothing to do with security.
    Since when was it more secure to work on the WEB (i.e. via WiFi etc) rather than on you own home PC.
    The reason why Apple does not allow BT data transfer is DRM - same reason why MS has done it on WP7.5

bluetooth file transfer on the other hand is too bad we don't have, but i think they are trying to get nfc and make that beam thingy...
    Why would NFC be better than BT ?
    .... the reason for no data BT transfer is DRM.
    DReaM on if you think this is going to be available with NFC
    03-22-2012 10:08 PM
    I can count on one finger the number of times I've transferred a file via bluetooth in all my years of having a smartphone (10?). No offense man, but on a list of what's most commonly done having a data connection or an available wifi hotspot are far more likely than the need to transfer over BT. I get that it's frustrating, but someone has to be in the minority with their rare circumstance. If MS tried to cover all possible scenarios then we'd be just as screwed up as Android. Another solution is just use a real camera next time. :P Basically there are plenty of options, you just want the one. The rest of us don't care about that option. Not trying to be rude, just adding perspective.
    03-22-2012 11:04 PM
    As I already stated with a post about my initial grips with WP, I echo the OP's dilemma. I too find it unacceptable to require either an internet connection or to have to install software on a PC. One of the biggest features that I used frequently at work and at my parents' place with extremely slow internet on Windows Mobile, Blackberry, and Android was the mass storage feature. Having a smartphone is about eliminating gadgets: i.e. camera, music player, keys, computer, cellular modem, day planners, newspapers, books, USB thumbdrives, etc.

There are multiple scenarios where mass storage is useful:
    1. Computers without an internet connection - How are you supposed to transfer pictures or whatever to this computer? The only way would be to carry a thumb drive around with you.
    2. Extremely slow internet, or pay per x amount of data a month - If it was only a 1 MB install file or something, then maybe it'd be doable, but the Zune install is around 125 MB and over dial-up you can just forget about it.
    3. Computers where I do not have permissions - I've had to do work on my company's equipment in different countries. Our equipment that we sell is Windows-based and changes to our software was needed. Since the computer is already on the customer's network it had all the security policies in place to prevent new installs, however, I saved the updated files from my email on my BB to it's storage card, then just hooked up to the PC and enabled mass storage mode. Extremely easy and something I couldn't have done with just a WP device as I have now.
    4. Similar to above, but company PCs where IT monitors all installs and have a policy against non-work or IT approved software installs. If I want to transfer files like my music so I can listen to it via WMP on my PC I can't as I can not install anything and Skydrive is blocked...as well as personal email websites....and FTP.

While many of you may not have needed this feature I can honestly say I can use this feature at least once a week. I hate having to carry more than I need to and I think a flash drive should be obsolete by now....but that isn't the case if I don't bring my work's Blackberry with me.

Edit: BT file transfer will allieviate some of the scenarios, but not all (my parents and customers do not have BT).

I understand why MS has disabled this and I am not asking for them to open up the entire storage system to the connecting PC's view, just allow me to create a partition on the SD Card that can be a shared data repository, I would be fine with an intermediate storage medium.

PS: If you want this feature as much as I do, please vote here:
    http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...le-usb-storage
    Obviously myself a few thousand other people feel the same way on this.
    Last edited by xmind; 03-22-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    linooliveira likes this.
    03-22-2012 11:42 PM
    There are two separate suggestions for BT transfer on the MS Suggestion Box.
    One is no 5 in the top voted list.
    With a total of over 14000 votes for both suggestions then this is the third most asked for feature.
    Support Bluetooth File Transfer

Please enable bluetooth file transfer

Considering that the no 1 & 2 top voted suggestions are for language support then BT transfer is the most requested 'action' feature for WP.
    03-23-2012 02:17 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD