Live Tiles driving me insane

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought a HTC radar recently. I have notice that the live tiles are not updating. Do your Live Tiles work all the time? If not how did you solve it?

I have read some of the treads on xda and here on this and there doesn't seam to be solution to this unless do registry hack but you need your phone unlocked. I have disabled and re enable background tasks and unpinned and re-pinned tiles and doesn't solve the problem.

I read on one tread that this is a bug that was suppose to be solve awhile back and its not. Is there thing that can be done? Will I have to factory hard reset the phone?

I have a tread on xda on this aswell

Thanks in advanced

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i haven't had that problem ,

only time I don't update is:

- Low battery = battery saver comes on ( witch is all the time LOL )
- or if i have no connection accesses.
- or the app needs location and i turned it off.

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Is this all your live tiles, or just a few? If a few, which live tiles don't seem to work for you?

Thanks for replies

All 3rd party tiles, HTC Hub, BBC News mobile, weatherbug, Flux, Reader2go, stormglass and my next days are all pinned to start screen. My internet is on and working, my location is on and the tiles are on as background tasks. I am totally dumb founded on this.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Which live tiles aren't functioning, and how aren't they updating?

If you got settings > email + accounts, you can set how often new content is downloaded from each account (Windows Live, Gmail, Facebook, etc). The default setting is 30 minutes. If it's set to the default setting, it'll only check for new notifications every 30 minutes, so don't expect an instantaneous notification on your email or calendar tile unless you change it to "as items arrive," which I assume would use a lot more bandwidth and battery because it's frequently checking. I tend to set them to 15 minutes. Good compromise.

As for the "me" tile, it has bizarre behavior with facebook notifications. Nobody's really sure what's going on with that, but don't count on the "me" tile giving accurate FB notifications. Personally, I unpinned my "me" tile; the facebook app is slow, but gives you much better interaction with FB (no notifications on the tile though...my only gripe).

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Which live tiles aren't functioning, and how aren't they updating?

If you got settings > email + accounts, you can set how often new content is downloaded from each account (Windows Live, Gmail, Facebook, etc). The default setting is 30 minutes. If it's set to the default setting, it'll only check for new notifications every 30 minutes, so don't expect an instantaneous notification on your email or calendar tile unless you change it to "as items arrive," which I assume would use a lot more bandwidth and battery because it's frequently checking. I tend to set them to 15 minutes. Good compromise.

As for the "me" tile, it has bizarre behavior with facebook notifications. Nobody's really sure what's going on with that, but don't count on the "me" tile giving accurate FB notifications. Personally, I unpinned my "me" tile; the facebook app is slow, but gives you much better interaction with FB (no notifications on the tile though...my only gripe).

The original WP apps work fine its the 3rd party apps that are not updating as mentioned in my previous post

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for replies

All 3rd party tiles, HTC Hub, BBC News mobile, weatherbug, Flux, Reader2go, stormglass and my next days are all pinned to start screen. My internet is on and working, my location is on and the tiles are on as background tasks. I am totally dumb founded on this.

Do native tiles like email update ok? Try uninstalling all 3rd party apps, restart your phone and reinstall one by one, giving at least 30 minutes for the tile to update. Maybe that will show if one of those apps is messing up your phone. Download Reinstaller to help with reinstalling all your apps.

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Do native tiles like email update ok? Try uninstalling all 3rd party apps, restart your phone and reinstall one by one, giving at least 30 minutes for the tile to update. Maybe that will show if one of those apps is messing up your phone. Download Reinstaller to help with reinstalling all your apps.

Native tiles work fine. I will uninstall all 3rd party apps and reinstall.
Should I do a factory reset instead?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Native tiles work fine. I will uninstall all 3rd party apps and reinstall.
Should I do a factory reset instead?

If you are ok doing a hard reset and losing all data, that may be the best option. But if you want to try and save any data try the uninstall first.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The bug you refer to was a pre-Mango issue (WP7.0). Your Radar is running WP7.5, so that is not your problem. Since updating to Mango on my Surround I have had absolutely no problems with updates and I have nearly a dozen 3rd party Live Tiles. With that said, sometimes servers do go down which can cause a problem. Do you keep data turned on 24/7. WiFi does not update in the background.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
The bug you refer to was a pre-Mango issue (WP7.0). Your Radar is running WP7.5, so that is not your problem. Since updating to Mango on my Surround I have had absolutely no problems with updates and I have nearly a dozen 3rd party Live Tiles. With that said, sometimes servers do go down which can cause a problem. Do you keep data turned on 24/7. WiFi does not update in the background.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I read on xda its still a problem. It specifically mentioned the Omnia W in that tread.
Ya I have mobile data on or wifi on all the time when phone pulled in the laptop or force it on running a clock app to force wifi on.

I've had radar for 2 weeks and it worked fine until today.

I do have some strange settings on the phone. These are zbig boss settings, zCompass, zGesture bester, zSensorView & zStart KITL. As far as I know these are use for network operators to test the phone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I read on xda its still a problem. It specifically mentioned the Omnia W in that tread.
Ya I have mobile data on or wifi on all the time when phone pulled in the laptop or force it on running a clock app to force wifi on.

I've had radar for 2 weeks and it worked fine until today.

I do have some strange settings on the phone. These are zbig boss settings, zCompass, zGesture bester, zSensorView & zStart KITL. As far as I know these are use for network operators to test the phone.

I just got a Radar a few days ago and I dont see those settings. Maybe you are running some kind of test/demo rom or you are in a debug mode? Those settings should not be visuble, I think.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings -> (swipe to the right) Applications -> Background Tasks

Ensure all of the 3rd party stuff is turned on you wish to have updated.

mikeegan12

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are ok doing a hard reset and losing all data, that may be the best option. But if you want to try and save any data try the uninstall first.

Thanks for all your help

I uninstalled all 3rd party apps and reinstalled them and they have been updated throughout the day:). So hopefully problem solved.

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had live tiles stop updating, some apps require that you open them up once in a while to continue to get updates, I know my weather channel app does that to me...

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
After having my Quantum for a little over a year now I can say that the Live Tiles do not work 100% of the time. Some get "stuck" for a few days. Others just take way more time to update sometimes.
A month ago I traveled from Colorado to Philadelphia and many of my tiles stopped working. It was like I was back to NoDo. After returning home more tiles stopped working one by one. I'm still not sure if the time zone screwed things up or something happened before I left but finally after 11 months of having the the phone I reluctantly did a reset. All tiles have been working since-well 90% of them have been working consistently.
It sucks to have to do a reset. But I guess going 11 months ain't too bad being that I hear driod lovers have to pull their battery once a week to unfreeze locked up phones!

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre