VOIP using data

mjgates

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Nokia 710 with the $30 t-mobile plan with a soft 5gb cap data and 100 minutes. I am trying to find a way to setup VoIP through Skype, google voice or any other app or method possible to utilize data connection thus not using voice minutes. Anyone know a method where this would be possible. I have read android had a dialer app that could be set to Skype as default for calls. Haven't found an option yet to do this with windows phone.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
:D:D:D WELCOME TO WPCENTRAL! :D:D:D

well you can get both SKYPE or G-talk on your phone and just use that.

skype is in beta right now doh , and G-talk doesn't run in the background . the once that do run int he background are kidna buggy.

mjgates

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Good to be here. I'm finally off the aweful android I had the last couple years. I was under the impression Skype to Skype calls did not use minutes, but calls to mobile and landlines used mobile minutes. Is this incorrect? I'm new to windows phone. About 2weeks in so not really sure it's capabilities quite yet

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well it might use minutes for the person receiving the call , but it uses YOUR data!

who ever is on skype ( incoming or outgoing) = DATA
Who ever is on Cellphone (inc or outgoing) = voice minutes

back in the windows mobile dayz , I use to install Skype on EVERY once cellphone so they could get unlimited calling lol ( we had a unlimited 7$ mobile internet plan )

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Good to be here. I'm finally off the aweful android I had the last couple years. I was under the impression Skype to Skype calls did not use minutes, but calls to mobile and landlines used mobile minutes. Is this incorrect? I'm new to windows phone. About 2weeks in so not really sure it's capabilities quite yet

Actually you have to pay in advance for Skype calls to landlines and mobiles. They have several region-specific unlimited packages and their rates are actually quite good. It's kind of a double whammy cuz you have to pay to make the calls and it costs data.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My experience with Skype on my Mozart has not been great. It doesn't run in the background, so can't monitor incoming calls. And voice quality has been choppy. Even over Wi-fi. Anyone else have better experience?

mjgates

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I loaded Skype and paid 2.99 for a month of us/canada free calls. Seems fine for the couple calls I have made. I was stationary and there is a slight delay. Good enough for a $30 month cell bill. I did find I had to have a positive balance in Skype even after purchasing the plan. Doesn't charge the balance but getting insufficient funds error without it. Saw others were having same issue with beta version. Should be fixed with update. Thanks for help. 100 minutes a month was going to be tough but I love the price with unlimited data.

mjgates

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
update after using Skype a couple weeks. Overall has been pretty solid alternative to using minutes, although if I were under contract and had the minutes I would use them. I have dropped one call in 2 weeks. I have had surprisingly steady connection while driving in the city. Was not very good once I hit rural areas. Cannot receive incoming calls right now so I have not purchased a number, but that should be fixed when with next update. Definitely room for improvement, but considering it is in its beta stage overall solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro