I am planning on getting a Lumia 900 as soon as it comes out but I have an odd situation that I need some advice on.

So in college we got .edu emails and the university ran their own system. During this time I got a Zune and used that address for my account (I dont think MS had started their Live ID stuff by then) Well further along in school the university changed systems to Live/Hotmail and our email addresses changed, so I log into the newer one for mail and my Zune account is still attached to the old address though I still got email from the original one because they were linked.

Now for the windows phone you need to attach a Live ID to it, Im thinking I should just create a new email(I dont think I should use my university email address forever) and then link my university one to it. I guess my question is should I do that? and will that mess up my Zune?

Thanks for any help
    03-20-2012 08:59 PM
    It shouldn't matter unless you bought apps with the old one. Also, if you still have the old Zune package, if there isn't an option on MS' Zune page to change the email, you may have to contact MS directly to have them manually change it to your new one.

P.S. all this is speculation... this is my best guess.
    03-20-2012 11:47 PM
    This part is kind of a pain. Your Zune, Xbox Live Gamerpoints/Avatar, and apps are all tied together in one email address on your phone. That means if you make a new account, your old Zune information isn't going to be tied to the phone. I would create an account and then contact Microsoft to see if they would move the information over for you. That way you'll be future-proofed and you'll be able to have all of your information in the same place.
    03-21-2012 01:19 AM
    You should be able to alter all your information from live.com. I switched my ID from a Gmail address to Hotmail to problems.
    03-21-2012 08:50 PM
    Thanks for the tips yall. I shall try it out to get things ready for the eventual 900 release.
    03-21-2012 11:54 PM
    If I understand you correctly I think I am in a similar position.

I created a Live ID a few years ago using an e-mail from outside of the MS ecosystem (an ISP account). Fast forward to now, I want to consolidate my e-mail to Hotmail for use on my Titan and a PC. I got tired of seeing new e-mail everywhere as I was using simple POP3. Once I read it in one place on Hotmail, it marks as read everywhere else, which is great.

So I created a live.com alias but it had poor integration capability, for what I wanted. Now I deleted it and have to wait 30 days before creating it as an actual new Live ID.

After that I am not sure what I need to do. Would I link it to my main Live ID? I know I want my main account on the phone to be the live.com address, so it can send e-mails correctly (instead of "on behalf of" the POP3 accounts). Or can I switch my Live ID over to the new live.com address entirely without losing anything or breaking anything?
    03-22-2012 09:15 AM
    Go to home.live.com and sign into your Windows Live account. Then, mouse over your name on the top right of your screen and you will get a drop down menu. Select Account, which will then take you to your account information, including your Windows Live ID (which should be your e-mail address). You can modify your e-mail there.
    jfa1 likes this.
    03-22-2012 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD