No Angry Birds Space for WP

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
WP7 has about 3 months of life left if you're a developer and about 9 months of life left if you're a user. Unless it turns out that the Gen1 & 2 handsets can't run Apollo after all, in which case WP7 has about a year of life left if you're a developer and about 2 1/5 years of life left if you're a user.

WP7 is close to EOL, it's just a question of how close. WP8 isn't a minor point upgrade, they're swapping out half the OS and aligning its direction with their desktop and tablet strategies for the next decade.

I'm sorry but WP7 is NOT EOL! it will be overwritten with WP8 and all apps that are developed will have to be recompiled for full functionality. I don't know why developers are refusing to develop, shouldn't that be their passion?

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but WP7 is NOT EOL! it will be overwritten with WP8 and all apps that are developed will have to be recompiled for full functionality.

I don't know what you thought you were saying, but what that *means* is that WP7 will be dead. Maybe the occasional twitch, but for all practical purposes it's dead nonetheless.

I don't know why developers are refusing to develop, shouldn't that be their passion?

For an individual developer, sure. For a company like Rovio, nope.

It's been a long time since a developer could bang out a top-flight game for funsies in his spare time. Even a simple game like Angry Birds takes a lot of money to make. And before a company invests a half-mil or so in R&D for a game like Angry Birds Space, it needs to be sure that it can get back its investment plus enough R&D to find the next big thing plus enough left over for yacht money. It's not just developers, it's graphics guys, testing, marketing, HR, IT folks to keep the mail servers running, secretaries, etc. And Apple/Google/Amazon/Microsoft take their share before any even lands in Rovio's pocket. It all adds up.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
for new Developer = WP7 is the best place to start more potential sales.

for an existing and establish DEV = Android+Iphone

reason WP is good for new devs with new app/games , is that it has WAY more potential to get attention then on Iphone/android with the 50000000000apps , it just gets lost in the mess.

they did a test on this with releasing the same app on all 3 platform , and WP app was making the most $$$ cause it was getting WAY more attention due to low amount of total apps in the marketplace.

XBL games on WP = like 80 games? takes you 2 sec to see them all , hence = more potential. unless it already has a HUGE FAN BASE!

so in the End Angry bird not coming on WP right away makes SOME sens . but completely ignoring it is stupid cause they can still make millions off of it.

specially at 2,99$ a pop on WP compare to the 0,99$ on Iphone.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
they did a test on this with releasing the same app on all 3 platform , and WP app was making the most $$$ cause it was getting WAY more attention due to low amount of total apps in the marketplace.

Do you have a source for that?

Even if the WP app made more money than the iOS app, it doesn't matter if the developer wasn't able to recoup his up-front costs.

so in the End Angry bird not coming on WP right away makes SOME sens . but completely ignoring it is stupid cause they can still make millions off of it.

Maybe. There are good reasons Rovio to develop for iOS and Android first, then port to WP7 later. But this in itself lessens the market for Angry Birds on WP7, since many of their potential customers would have already played it on another platform by the time it gets ported to WP7.

This tells you more about how few sales they expect than it does about their profit.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well actually the COST on WP is more expensive because MS considered XBL premium games ( with achievements ) its the only reason WP is more expensive for apps. ( i know its dumb but that's exactly what it is )

regarding the 3 app thing on 3 OS . their was an article about it like 4months ago on WPcentral , honestly I dont feel like going back and looking for it lol.

but keep in mind that's for NEW developers , not the once that already ave a establish FAN BASE like angry birds.

if you have a app /game thats 100% new, never before seen , you have more potential on WP7 then on Android or IOS.

looking for an APP on ITunes is like looking for a needle in a haystack. LOL ( unless you know what your looking for )

the reason it went on IOS and Android first is because ANGRY BIRD is already a WELL establish game that EVERY one know ( if you dont its cause you live under a rock lol ) so obviously they go where the money is first.

in the end: don't worry guys WE WILL GET IT SOON!! lol probably..

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
You are saying people that play this game are stupid? Sounds like a ****** rant to me.

WP7 has small market share, Rovio doesnt want to have resources utilized for such a small platform. Iphone and droid users are their bread and butter and they will continue to focus on them. When market share grows, it will be a different story, but until then, continue to expect resistance from developers to develop apps for WP7 platform.

This could also be a money play by Rovio to have MS pay them $$$ to have them do it. If WP7 market share is under 2 %, they have no incentive to spend resources and $$ to port or develop extensively for the WP7 platform. If MS comes in with a bag of cash and it makes sense to Rovio to port, it would be done. Money talks as always.
How can I be a ****** in a purely negative comment? What am I a fan of? Or do you imply that I am a WP ****** because I say Angry Birds sucks? If this is the case I can assure you that I hated this game with passion even before I owned a smartphone. I also think the person who made the statement is full of ****. He went on stage on GDC to declare Nintendo dead and not innovating and say that his Artillery clone was great innovation.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This tells you more about how few sales they expect than it does about their profit.

If we're working on how few sales they expect from the game, why aren't they charging like ?100 on webOS? AFAIK, the minimum price (unless on offer) for an XBL game is ?2.29. Don't put that in? Tough, no XBL integration for your app and then people IMMEDIATELY ignore it. I have 2 non-XBL games on my HTC, I've bought about 20 XBL titles. Why? Because XBL = achievements = gamerscore. That's why Microsoft would set the minimum price. If I was going to make an app and determine it off sales as to the price, then it would be ?69 on iPhone and Android, ?2.29 (for XBL integration) on WP7, and ?25 on BlackBerry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077