Internet Data Usage

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I'm about to buy a Windows Phone, but I want to know if there is an app that can measure my data usage.

That information will make me choose either one plan or another. One plan gives me 250mb with a lot of minutes and messages, but If I exceed the limit they will charge me the extra Kb. The other plan gives me unlimited internet (with a policy that reduces my speed to 2G after 500mb), but I only get 60 minutes and 5 messages (which I always exceed).

The first plan seems better for me, but I need to control my data usage so I don't exceed the 250mb mark. Is there any way that I can measure that?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well first off: your Carrier offers you 2-3 ways to track your data.

honestly 250mb is not enough. unless you turn off ALL your location+live tiles+notification = basically turn off every thing that makes WP cool.

and no offense but does plan sounds HORRIBLE . lol . unless your paying 20$ for them.

but for the moment I dont see an other app that allows you to track it.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
250mb is not enough indeed if you have everything turned on, but I'm not a heavy user, I barely browse, rarely watch videos or download stuff. I just use Twitter, Whatsapp and sometimes Dropbox. Normally I'm not logged in to Facebook. So I think 250mb can be enough for me.

Honestly the other plan sucks, despite of the higher internet limit. But this two plans are the best that I can afford. So I just need to control my usage I guess.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
To the point, there are NO apps to track data usage.

If you have ATT, you can log into your ATT account and look at your usage at anypoint, that is what i do.

not sure about other carriers, but i would assume each carrier will allow you to check online. As for an app? No.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

FALSE!!!! pageonce can do this. As for the topic at hand 250mb of data simply isn't enough no matter how you manage it,need at least 2GB. What carrier is this? T-mobile?

No, actually I'm from Mexico, the carrier is called "Telcel". So, I guess I will have to stick to the "Unlimited (500mb policy) data plan" :(

steve70

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm 19 days in and have used 464MB. I have WiFi access almost everywhere. Probably would use less if I didn't live in the city (bored at stoplights). I def would go over in texts though. Good luck with your decision.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
...As for the topic at hand 250mb of data simply isn't enough no matter how you manage it,need at least 2GB. What carrier is this? T-mobile?

ummmm... NO.

I use my phone a LOT and I rarely hit 300mb in any given month. WiFi at work, WiFi at home. That accounts for the majority of my phone data usage right there and none of it goes on my data plan. The only time I'm really using my data plan is when I go out somewhere and, those are generally quick checks of email/weather/make or confirm reservations with Open Table. A 2gb data plan may be something of a standard these days for smartphones but it's definitely way more than I've ever needed so far. 250mb for someone who doesn't do too much data heavy useage is very doable I'd say (at least it is IF they have access to WiFi at their home and office).

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
ummmm... NO.

I use my phone a LOT and I rarely hit 300mb in any given month. WiFi at work, WiFi at home. That accounts for the majority of my phone data usage right there and none of it goes on my data plan. The only time I'm really using my data plan is when I go out somewhere and, those are generally quick checks of email/weather/make or confirm reservations with Open Table. A 2gb data plan may be something of a standard these days for smartphones but it's definitely way more than I've ever needed so far. 250mb for someone who doesn't do too much data heavy useage is very doable I'd say (at least it is IF they have access to WiFi at their home and office).

well I don't have WiFi at home ,and I share my internet connection with my sis iPod touch so I def need 10GB.

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
How can pageonce track your app usage? I've used this app since my bb days. I'm with tmobile. I have 5 lines with them on old suncom rates. On my line I use a hd7. Tmo took me off the $15 bb plan and put me on the $5 tzone like my other 4 lines. Well something got screwed up. I have a $13,000 internet usage from march 2nd thru march 27th. Off course they credited me back but something is seriously burning in the background. I also use a Verizon hotspot at work and home. I wish I could track the culprit down. So if pageonce can do it please tell me how.

rafabr4

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I will stick to the Unlimited (500mb Policy) plan, I found that the cost of additional messages is much lower than the cost of additional MB, and is much more likely that I will exceed the MB limit. So this plan suits better for me.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
200MB is enough for me

but I have Wi-fi at work and home. I average about 150MB of my 200MB plan each month (don't think they offer the 200MB plan anymore though), but I also tend to turn off 3G entirely unless I'm away from home or work to make sure no data is being used when I don't want it to be.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
How can pageonce track your app usage? I've used this app since my bb days. I'm with tmobile. I have 5 lines with them on old suncom rates. On my line I use a hd7. Tmo took me off the $15 bb plan and put me on the $5 tzone like my other 4 lines. Well something got screwed up. I have a $13,000 internet usage from march 2nd thru march 27th. Off course they credited me back but something is seriously burning in the background. I also use a Verizon hotspot at work and home. I wish I could track the culprit down. So if pageonce can do it please tell me how.

it just feeds the usage data from my.t-mobile.com

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I will stick to the Unlimited (500mb Policy) plan, I found that the cost of additional messages is much lower than the cost of additional MB, and is much more likely that I will exceed the MB limit. So this plan suits better for me.

If texts are really eating into your wallet, you can sign up for a Google Voice account, and use the GoVoice app. However, it will use data, but I don't think it should be much.

Out of the background tasks/apps I can turn off, I leave two on: HTC Hub and GoVoice. I am around wi-fi a lot. It's been 5 days into the billing cycle, and I have used 7.5/200 MB. I love Nokia Drive's offline navigation :D

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
If texts are really eating into your wallet, you can sign up for a Google Voice account, and use the GoVoice app. However, it will use data, but I don't think it should be much.

Out of the background tasks/apps I can turn off, I leave two on: HTC Hub and GoVoice. I am around wi-fi a lot. It's been 5 days into the billing cycle, and I have used 7.5/200 MB. I love Nokia Drive's offline navigation :D

I wish I spent most of my time around WiFi. I'm glad i'm not stuck with Verizon or ATT. If Sprint ever decides to be stupid and turn away from unlimited data plans I am going to a can and string. On a good month I use ~1.5gb

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I can barely last 200 mb a month. It costs me $15. My parents won't pay for 2 GB or 3GB
ouch yea! If you don't have WiFi at home or in range like me, you can go over 200mb in a day

I wish I spent most of my time around WiFi. I'm glad i'm not stuck with Verizon or ATT. If Sprint ever decides to be stupid and turn away from unlimited data plans I am going to a can and string. On a good month I use ~1.5gb

They might as their network is taking a serious hit because of it. Not even Comcast or other wired ISPs do unlimited. T-mobile allows caps up to 10GB and throttled after for a little bit more than what you're paying on sprint.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have an unlimited AT&T data plan, but keep WiFi on 24/7 as I have better signal strength both at home and in the office. I have "everything" turned on (Location Find My Phone, Updates, etc.) including 4 email account; 2 set to push and the others set to 15 min / 1 hour. Also have several push Live Tiles and 8 Background tasks. Average about 200MB/month. Have not exceeded 225MB in 12 months. Yesterday was Day8 of my cycle and I was at 49MB. I would lower my data plan but the $5/month is not worth the risk. Phone is never powered off and I go through an average 1.25/1.5 charges per day, to give you an idea of usage.

So it is possible, but don't expect to stream music or videos while outside of WiFi range.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Jesus! What are y'all doing with your phones? LOL

I have a Samsung Focus that's syncing 3 email accounts (all set to instant push delivery) and have ALL options switched on. I have half a dozen live tiles updating as well.

I have NEVER gone over my 200MB AT&T plan, it's been close a couple of times but still, it IS possible to manage on a low data plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa