Alpha search through the dialer

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I feel kinda dumb asking this... I even thought about doing it with an alias.

I'm still stuck with a WM6.5 device, but a co-worker needed a new phone today, his old feature phone crapped out. I (of course) recommened a 710, and as he's not computer savvy, I spent a couple of hours getting everything updated and setting up his email, etc.

But I was surprised with the dialer, something I hadn't even thought about.

On my WinMo phone, if I start spelling out a contacts name on the dialer, it will work it's way through the contacts until it gets to the one I'm looking for.

With the 710 out of the box, you've got to go into contacts, scroll through the alpha listing and find it. Is this the only way to do it, or is there a feature similar to what I've got on the WM?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
There are a few dialers out there that do this. One I'm currently beta testing called people search is amazing. From the creator of trines hangman. Searches through all contact fields for names, numbers, email addresses ECT. And its smart about who it populates in the list. Plus it's got built in features like sending contact info ect.

Somebody from the windows phone team is also in this beta. Can't say for sure what that means, but I have always expected this kind of feature to be added moat likely in apollo

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I use the Voice command features to do all me dialing. Microsoft is very proud of this technology it works great in Windows Phone and is a center point on the device. Just tap and hold on the windows button to activate the command prompts, I find it much faster than using a dialer and I don't have to look at the phone to call someone.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just open the Peoples hub and tap the Search icon. Start typing letters and entries will be displayed by name and company. Simple enough.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so now I have a 710, and I'm seriously missing this feature of WM6.5. I have over a 1000 contacts in my phone and I've got to get back to a manageable way of making calls.

I d/l 7dialer last weekend, but being new to WP I can't figure out how to make it work, if they think I'm programming a couple of hundred entries into it, they've got another thing coming. I've tried repeatedly to contact the developer looking for some kind of instruction on how to use it with no luck. #fail

And don't get me started on how janky syncing between the phone and Outlook is. It's made a freaking mess of my nicely organized Outlook Contacts and Calendar.

All I want is a simple dial pad I can start spelling out the contacts name, then when it's narrowed it down, I can choose a contact, see all the options for contacting them, and pick one to get done what I want to do.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so now I have a 710, and I'm seriously missing this feature of WM6.5. I have over a 1000 contacts in my phone and I've got to get back to a manageable way of making calls.

so... did u try the suggestions the guys above posted? eg. pressing search in people hub

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Just open the Peoples hub and tap the Search icon. Start typing letters and entries will be displayed by name and company. Simple enough.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

This...

You need to think about a call from a slightly different perspective. Instead of thinking I need to dial numbers, think that I need to contact a person, and start from the People hub, not the Phone dialer/history (Unless it's someone frequent enough that they are in that recent list). The search in the People hub is exactly what you are asking for just from a different location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs