Battery Meter not representation of actual percentage?

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like the battery meter on the notification on the top doesn't represent the actual percentage remaining on the battery? I'd see my battery meter on my Lumia 710 less than 50% but when i check under the battery status under status, it shows like +60%.

It'd be nice to have that % on top like how iPhone has it so i won't have to check the battery status once in a while..

any one else facing the similar situation?

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree on both points. It does seem like there's less than the actual percentage and I wish it had percentage beside it because I go into the settings all the time because I'm curious.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think with apollo that there will be an actual number on the dropdown bar or an indicator with an accurate reading!

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
it can't drain that much battery, can it? i'd rather have an accurate reading that drains a lil more battery than a reading that's off..lol

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
it can't drain that much battery, can it? i'd rather have an accurate reading that drains a lil more battery than a reading that's off..lol

That depends on the method. If you have an app or widget doing it you have to factor in the consumption of the app ontop of the fact that you are constantly polling the battery. When I had Android it was polling the battery like every second. There was a noticeable difference in battery life

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
That depends on the method. If you have an app or widget doing it you have to factor in the consumption of the app ontop of the fact that you are constantly polling the battery. When I had Android it was polling the battery like every second. There was a noticeable difference in battery life

I think they would just have the number beside the current battery bar. I don't think it would take up any extra power.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think they would just have the number beside the current battery bar. I don't think it would take up any extra power.

It will. Its just a question of how much. You cant poll the battery for free. It will likely be insignificant I've just been damaged when it comes to battery life because of Android.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It will. Its just a question of how much. You cant poll the battery for free. It will likely be insignificant I've just been damaged when it comes to battery life because of Android.

itd probably just be adding the visuals, no extra polling. The os already knows the battery percentage, how else could battery saver kick in at 20%?

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
itd probably just be adding the visuals, no extra polling. The os already knows the battery percentage, how else could battery saver kick in at 20%?

Yeah, more than likely its an illusion since the meter is very rough and the percentage is accurate. Using android makes you paranoid about battery usage.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. The battery icon does not do a great job of representing actual battery remaining. I use the homebrew Battery Meter app, which polls every 10 minutes. After multiple tests, the app drained somewhere between .5 and 1% of my 1230mAh battery every 8 hours. So maybe 1-1.5% in a typical 16-18 hour day, with a more respectable (1500mAh+) battery. The icon is still polling, so it is drawing power.

I would be happy with a percent indicator that moved in 5% increments from 100 to 20%, and then every 1% after that (when battery saver) kicked in).

On another note, happy to be able to type this without having my freaking keyboard disappear every few seconds. At least I get to enjoy my phone for a couple weeks before the 900 is released.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. The battery icon does not do a great job of representing actual battery remaining. I use the homebrew Battery Meter app, which polls every 10 minutes. After multiple tests, the app drained somewhere between .5 and 1% of my 1230mAh battery every 8 hours. So maybe 1-1.5% in a typical 16-18 hour day, with a more respectable (1500mAh+) battery. The icon is still polling, so it is drawing power.

I would be happy with a percent indicator that moved in 5% increments from 100 to 20%, and then every 1% after that (when battery saver) kicked in).

On another note, happy to be able to type this without having my freaking keyboard disappear every few seconds. At least I get to enjoy my phone for a couple weeks before the 900 is released.

I need a new battery. I can get a replacement for free via insurance but the stock Arrive battery has a craptacular lifespan. Hasnt quite been a year and a half yet and the battery is on its way out. I'm heavily leaning towards an extended battery.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
What you have to understand is once the battery meter shows no white bar left (or black, if you have the white theme selected), you still have about 10-15 percent battery left. Once the battery shows no power left, you still have power. Get it?

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
What you have to understand is once the battery meter shows no white bar left (or black, if you have the white theme selected), you still have about 10-15 percent battery left. Once the battery shows no power left, you still have power. Get it?

This depends on the condition of your battery. Mine is on its last leg. When I see no bar left I have 5 minutes tops.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
This depends on the condition of your battery. Mine is on its last leg. When I see no bar left I have 5 minutes tops.
Regardless, the percentage will be the same for you (approximately) as anyone else with a WP.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I need a new battery. I can get a replacement for free via insurance but the stock Arrive battery has a craptacular lifespan. Hasnt quite been a year and a half yet and the battery is on its way out. I'm heavily leaning towards an extended battery.
Typically I only plan for my batteries (all OEM) to give me 6-7 months of peak performance. So I always buy two and swap them out every three months. My Surround is going on 17 months and is into its third battery. Sure the old batteries still have juice, but after 7 months, and many, many charges (I use my phones a lot) they lose 30-40% of their original capacity. Amortized, it only coats a few cents a day to always have a fresh battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb