Nokia Lumi 900 or Focus S

pstorm13

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
So I just purchased a Focus S about a week ago from AT&T and the phone is awesome, its super slim, fast, and has basically everything I would want on a Windows Phone. I'm torn between keeping this phone or exchanging it for the Lumia 900 on April 8th. I know that the Lumia 900 has a lot of hype right now, and I'm kind of dissapointed that it seems that the Focus S will be getting phased out soon (can't find any accessories for this phone in any store). Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on why the Lumia 900 might be a better device than the Focus S. I still have not seen any comparison videos on Youtube.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia maps, Nokia drive depending on were you live Nokia transport can be useful to.. CNN app and so on.. Also Nokia 900 look better :)

Last edited:

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The best thing for you would be to hurry down to AT&T and physically see/play with an 900 and then decide. I could say its the greatest thing ever and the next guy hates it. If I'm not mistaken there is an 30 day return policy on phones with AT&T. If you like the 900 than return the Focus right there.

pstorm13

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
The best thing for you would be to hurry down to AT&T and physically see/play with an 900 and then decide. I could say its the greatest thing ever and the next guy hates it. If I'm not mistaken there is an 30 day return policy on phones with AT&T. If you like the 900 than return the Focus right there.
Yes, they do offer a 30 day return policy. I think I will wait till they have a demo unit and see how the device feels. Luckily I will still be within the return period.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
A lot of members here have adopted the 900 as a some kind of mythical wonder phone. Search these forums and you'll find numerous complaints about the other 2 members of the Lumia family. Nokia's dramatic fall-off in smartphone market share isn't all about Symbian, they've had plenty of hardware problems too. By all means check out this very pretty phone, but don't be shocked if you find that your Focus S stands up quite well to 'Gods own' Windows Phone.

pstorm13

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
A lot of members here have adopted the 900 as a some kind of mythical wonder phone. Search these forums and you'll find numerous complaints about the other 2 members of the Lumia family. Nokia's dramatic fall-off in smartphone market share isn't all about Symbian, they've had plenty of hardware problems too. By all means check out this very pretty phone, but don't be shocked if you find that your Focus S stands up quite well to 'Gods own' Windows Phone.

Awesome comment!! I will definitely play with the Nokia extensively before deciding if I should exchange the Focus S. I have to admit that I've been getting caught up in the Lumia 900 hype.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

I tried that yesterday afternoon the sales manager says they are in the sales guys have them but they cant bring them on the sales floor until March 30 and if they do they can get in BIG trouble. So I will be playing with one on March 30 or 31. I am planning on getting in May when I can use my daughters upgrade.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Your store may be in an area where they are not so strict!

LikeAChameleon

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat too! However, I bought my Focus S in November. Now, I'm only a couple of months into my contract but am tempted by the Lumia 900. A big draw for me is definitely the exclusive apps that Nokia will be bringing to its Lumia line. Samsung doesn't really do as much for its WP customers, I think, as opposed to Nokia. But the Focus S definitely is a very good phone. For all the complaints about its plastic parts, it's very durable and Samsung is very good in general with the build quality of its phones. I had another Samsung before the Focus S - I could drop it anywhere and it was still working after many years of abuse. :) The Focus S has also handled drops well. That said, I think the best way to decide would be to go into the store and check both out for yourself. That could be difficult for me, as I am very indecisive!

The Focus S is definitely a good phone, but I am disappointed by the fact that it's being phased out so quickly by AT&T. I remember I was so excited to get it back before it was announced - was so excited that there would be a WP phone with the Galaxy S2 form factor. But the Lumia 900 looks great! Plus it doesn't cost too much off contract - about $450, I think, so that would allow me to sell my Focus S and get the Lumia 900 without parting with too much money. :)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I own a Lumia 710, and I liked the user experience of the phone quite a bit, I wouldn't consider it a hardware letdown at all. Sure, the Lumia 800 did register a number of key problems, and it was disappointing in that regard. However, the Lumia 710 (esp. at its price) is a solid performer, to the point where I've forgotten about my original Samsung Focus.

Focus had superb hardware (a flagship device in its day no less), but that isn't enough compared to the support Nokia is giving to the WP platform. Not only are we seeing good hardware in the Lumia-series, but also a consistently evolving user-experience. We got Nokia Drive and Maps pre-loaded to the device, then they added CNN, Transit, Creative Studio, Play To (albeit beta right now). They are poised to add more (e.g. Reading), and are going even beyond that by openly supporting more enterprise support on WP7 (through Good Enterprise) and finding their way on Rovio's press-releases over Angry Birds Space.

This is within the <3 months I had Lumia 710, in the 1+ year I had Focus all I got out of Samsung was that cubix app. I agree, Samsung Focus S has superb hardware and I am sure it is a quality device, probably higher quality than Lumia 900. However, compared to what Nokia is offering on top of the Lumia-series in terms of support to Windows Phone, there's hardly anything in Focus S that makes it special enough for people to ignore Nokia.

Last edited:

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got a Nokia n900 in the next room, so I'm not a hater, I just think the 900 has been over-hyped.
Rather like the Titan a few months back, I think it should turn out better than that.

cre8tivspirit

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought and still have the original Samsung Focus and even though it has been a great device, I'm ready for something new. I'll admit that the look of the Lumia 900 is more appealing to me than the Titan 2, I'll be playing with both to make my determination. I am curious about what will be included in the box after watching that unwrapping video and not seeing any earbuds or headset of any kind with the Lumia. Small matter I know but strange none the less.

I wonder if those cool looking Nokia Bluetooth ear pieces will be available at launch time.

WinPhan7

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought Titan's for my wife and I and a Focus S for our daughter in November. The Focus S is exactly the same as the Galaxy S II, which I personally am not a fan of. I think it's AMOLED displays appear to yellow in hue. I also think it's build is of a lesser quality. That's why we bought Titans for the extra $100. With that said, the Nokia 900 is better than the Titan and the Focus S! The 900's AMOLED is distinctly different from that of the Focus S, using a different technology altogether. Its INCREDIBLE! Had the 900 been around in November, my wife and I would be Nokia Lumia 900 owners instead! While the large display and the slim build of the HTC is great, it doesn't compare to the quality build of the 900. The display is so much of the device with the 900 that it doesn't appear much smaller than the Titan. Last, the support of Nokia in terms of their firmware updates and app development/updates makes their devices far desirable than any of the other OEM's devices. Get the 900!!!

Sent from WinPhan7.5! using Board Express

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I bought Titan's for my wife and I and a Focus S for our daughter in November. The Focus S is exactly the same as the Galaxy S II, which I personally am not a fan of. I think it's AMOLED displays appear to yellow in hue. I also think it's build is of a lesser quality. That's why we bought Titans for the extra $100. With that said, the Nokia 900 is better than the Titan and the Focus S! The 900's AMOLED is distinctly different from that of the Focus S, using a different technology altogether. Its INCREDIBLE! Had the 900 been around in November, my wife and I would be Nokia Lumia 900 owners instead! While the large display and the slim build of the HTC is great, it doesn't compare to the quality build of the 900. The display is so much of the device with the 900 that it doesn't appear much smaller than the Titan. Last, the support of Nokia in terms of their firmware updates and app development/updates makes their devices far desirable than any of the other OEM's devices. Get the 900!!!

Sent from WinPhan7.5! using Board Express
Honestly, I have had the Focus S since it was launched. I have yet to see a yellow hue on any of my screens. The camera is awesome compared to some of the other 8MP shooters on other devices from around the same time, even the Titan's. Frankly, I found the Titan to be too heavy for carrying in my pocket all of the time.

The build quality of the Focus S may be lesser than the Titan or the Lumia, but I have yet to hear one creak come from the case, or flex of any kind. I also had a Galaxy S2 and loved it. The thin form factor was easy to hold and comfortable in my hand.

I have yet to handle or use the Lumia 900, but from what everyone says, the only difference that stands out between it and the Focus S is the Carl Zeiss lens on the camera, the "real/true Black" screen, LTE and the Nokia apps.

The Focus S has been poorly supported by AT&T since it was launched, shame on them, but it is as much phone as the Lumia. I too am having the same problem of trying to decide if I want to use an upgrade on the Lumia when my Focus S will do everything it will do, but no LTE.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to handle or use the Lumia 900, but from what everyone says, the only difference that stands out between it and the Focus S is the Carl Zeiss lens on the camera, the "real/true Black" screen, LTE and the Nokia apps.

What I want to know about is if there's any difference between the call quality and reception of the 900 and Focus S.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
GOt my focus in November, just sold it yesterday so i can get ready to purchase the 900 off contract. The main reason for me is that the 900 is an LTE phone, if 900 had no LTE, i would stuck with focus S because i think the Focus S is a really good phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720