Former webOS user Disenchanted with Android

Biggnaa20

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I am a recovering webOS addict and current Android user looking for a more cohesive platform. I'm looking into the current dark horse of the smartphone world (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment), but have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer by searching:

1. Universal Search: I've read that this isn't yet baked in the OS, but may be coming. Is there an app or something that can search the contents of the phone (contacts, music, files, etc) from the home screen?

2. "Hide It app": I've searched the marketplace, but can't seem to find anything that I can use to hide pictures, videos and files. I like to be able to hand my phone to my coworkers without showcasing that I was on a bender the night before.

3. Lock screen delay using enterprise security: I know most phones nowadays can do this easily, but my galaxy S II forces a password every time you shut off the phone meaning I need to enter a password every time I open the device (even if I put it in my pocket for a second and want to check the time). Does windows phone allow you to put a delay on when the lock screen comes up?

If I can get these three things, I think I can switch.

Thanks for reading,
Naa

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hey Biggnaa20 Welcome to WPCENTRAL!! :D:D:D

Be sure to check out the GETTING started thread for WP: link can be found in my signature :)

1. for the search , their is not one universal search option yet , but every place that needs a search has one!! for example if you slide over to the apps you can click on the magnifying glass to run a search , people hub as well , XBOX life hub as well. ect.... not sure if you can get an app.

2. I had found an APP that password protects some pictures/vids , not sure what its called but its out there!!!!

3. you do have a timer for stand by mode witch is basically the lock screen , 0-5min

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm a former webOS phone user, then went to Android, now here at WP7. I, too, am an avid glutton for punishment. Heh!

1. I don't know, honestly. You could go to Windowsphone.com and search the Marketplace there. I don't have my phone with me right now or I could check for you.

2. I am sure there is an app for this. 100% sure. I just don't recall the name.

3. Not sure. Wish I could check!

Biggnaa20

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
hey Biggnaa20 Welcome to WPCENTRAL!! :D:D:D

Be sure to check out the GETTING started thread for WP: link can be found in my signature :)

1. for the search , their is not one universal search option yet , but every place that needs a search has one!! for example if you slide over to the apps you can click on the magnifying glass to run a search , people hub as well , XBOX life hub as well. ect.... not sure if you can get an app.

2. I had found an APP that password protects some pictures/vids , not sure what its called but its out there!!!!

3. you do have a timer for stand by mode witch is basically the lock screen , 0-5min
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will check out the getting started thread. I do understand that WP7 has in context search, but I use universal search a lot (I got used to it all the way back when I had a Palm Treo). Maybe I can change my usage pattern.

I'll do more searching about the password protection app. Maybe it'll solve my needs as well.

I figured that any moderately baked OS would allow for the lock screen delay. I find it disheartening that Samsung (not Google) removed this functionality.

Thanks again!

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Just type was awesome, I'm sure it will be there with Apollo.
You can delay the lock screen, under settings. Mine's set to lock after 30 minute, screen off after 3.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I must have used the wrong search terms. There seem to be a few choices. I appreciate the suggestion.

Naa

The search feature for both Android and Windows Phone marketplaces leaves something to be desired. This is odd when you consider that the owners of both operate search engines. It can be more helpful to do a direct Bing or Google search sometimes for recommendations on apps.
If you switch, I think you will find the transition easier than it was going to Android, I know I did. I hope you enjoy whatever phone you wind up with. Welcome to the forum!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The search feature for both Android and Windows Phone marketplaces leaves something to be desired. This is odd when you consider that the owners of both operate search engines. It can be more helpful to do a direct Bing or Google search sometimes for recommendations on apps.

No kidding. I was unimpressed with search in the Android Market, and even more underwhelmed by search in the Windows Phone Marketplace. I didn't think any app store could be worse than Android!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
If you switch, I think you will find the transition easier than it was going to Android, I know I did. I hope you enjoy whatever phone you wind up with. Welcome to the forum!

Bing does suggest apps, type in a movie or celeb and imdb or any other movie app will pop up. Any app that has the deep linking feature enabled will show up on search.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss