Posting a Message to Facebook

dbmitc01

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Recently, I have been noticing that all of my posts to Facebook through the Me/People Hub have been set so that "Only Me" can see them on Facebook, rather than automatically set to "Friends". I have tried looking at every settings I can think of on Facebook, on my phone, and even on my Live account settings. It hasn't always been this way, just in the past couple months or so, and I haven't changed anything since the initial set up over a year ago.

Has anyone else seen this or know of a way I can fix this?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard of this. I would first check your account setting on Facebook.com and make sure third party apps have full access. If it's not that, try removing and re-adding your Facebook account. Let us know if that works.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Weird I just noticed this as well. Not a huge issue for me since I'm a really light FB poster but would be curious to see how to change this.

ETA: just noticed that Windows Phone isn't in my apps list anymore and I'm 99% sure it used to live there.

ETA2: Okay so the app magically appeared and I changed the who can see posts permission and it works now. How I got it to work I don't know but I tried the following before the app reappeared, YMMV:

- re synced Facebook and Windows Live (for giggles)
- searched for the app page on Facebook for Windows Phone http://apps.facebook.com/7933375107/ [note this page appears blank to me for whatever reason]
- gave up and read a book for a bit came back and poof Windows Phone App listed in my apps. Then is was a matter of editing the settings.

Last edited:

dbmitc01

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was certain there once was a Windows Phone app that was in that list as well, but has since disappeared. And I made sure that every single other app that was listed had the correct settings, including a Windows Live app. I figured maybe they just combined the Windows Phone and Windows Live app. But I guess that isn't the case seeing as it has appeared magically for you.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me, fix it by going into facebook and changing my settings to friends.

Dont think there is anything you can do on the phone side. I had a number of settings for me only, but other as Friends only, but my phone recognized just me only so al lmy posts and stuff were only for me. After changing all to friends, all fixed.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me, fix it by going into facebook and changing my settings to friends.

Dont think there is anything you can do on the phone side. I had a number of settings for me only, but other as Friends only, but my phone recognized just me only so al lmy posts and stuff were only for me. After changing all to friends, all fixed.

The issue is, if the app disappears from FB, which is did briefly for me, and apparently others that makes it impossible to change.

dare1015

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
So I don't have "Windows Phone" in my facebook apps, how can I get it back in there? I uninstalled and reinstalled the facebook app on my phone and it never came back.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So I don't have "Windows Phone" in my facebook apps, how can I get it back in there? I uninstalled and reinstalled the facebook app on my phone and it never came back.

Try clicking that link in my post up thread, no idea if that is what finally got it back but worth a shot. Like I said in the post, it will just be a blank FB page but maybe it will unhide the app wherever it went.

RFC0001

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
"Windows Phone" and "Facebook for Windows Phone" Facebook apps are no longer treated as apps on facebook.com -- they are treated as logging into Facebook itself directly, so should use your default Facebook Privacy settings for all posts. The fact that the posts from Windows Phone and FB for Windows phone are posting as the erroneous "Me Only" Privacy setting is an issue with Facebook. Please contact Facebook to report this issue. The more of us that do the more likely they will fix this. Just to reiterate, the fact that the "Windows Phone" and "Facebook for Windows Phone" Facebook apps don't show up under "Account Settings > Apps" is not a bug -- it is normal for these to disappear when Facebook switched over the privacy settings for Windows Phone and WP7 FB app from their own App privacy settings to using the default Facebook privacy settings. However, apparently there was a bug in how Facebook implemented this migration on the back end affecting a small number of users (lucky us). BTW, out of curiosity to help troubleshoot this, were any of you using Login Approvals and/or recently changed your FB password? Also, when did you first start noticing this? For me both were true, and I first had this happen (by going back on my FB wall and checking) on 3/17 once, then not again until 3/31, after which it was consistent.

RFC0001

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Try clicking that link in my post up thread, no idea if that is what finally got it back but worth a shot. Like I said in the post, it will just be a blank FB page but maybe it will unhide the app wherever it went.
This may have worked back when you first noticed it (I think they were testing the switch over from app privacy settings to Facebook privacy settings and you may have intermittently seen the apps disappear). However, now the switch over is complete and no one should see the "Windows Phone" and "Facebook for Windows Phone" apps under FB.com > Account Settings > Apps. The issue is not that the apps aren't there. The issue is that the apps are not using the default FB Privacy settings, which is the change that was made. Please contact Facebook to report this issue with Facebook not working for your WP7 Mobile Phone. Windows Phone and FB for Windows Phone app should now be treated as Facebook itself, therefore use your default Facebook settings.

dbmitc01

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured it was an issue with Facebook, seeing as how they change their settings just about every week. It's good to know that others are seeing this issue as well.

RFC0001

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Please report a bug at https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=218854551477794, under "My bug is not listed here". This is an issue with "Facebook for Mobile" affecting "Mobile Uploads" for a "Smartphones" "phone-specific app". Facebook recently changed Windows Phone and Facebook for Windows Phone FB apps from using app Privacy settings to using Facebook's default Privacy setting, and there appears to be an issue affecting a small number of users. The more people that report it the higher priority it will be for them to fix it. Thanks! :happy:

RFC0001

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I finally figured out how to edit privacy settings for "Windows Phone" now that it no longer shows up under Account Settings > Apps. The trick is it still shows up under Bookmarks (https://www.facebook.com/#!/bookmarks/apps), accessible from Home, then hover over APPS in left navigation bar and click MORE. Click the Edit icon next to Windows Phone (which erreonously says "Remove" when you hover over it). The settings for this device show up, and you can change the visibility for posts. After fixing this, I removed the Windows Phone app completely and everything still works fine which makes sense because Windows phone shouldn't be using app settings any more in the first place, which is the root of this issue. It seems FB only partially removed the app, since it doesn't show up under Account Settings > Apps, but still showed up under Bookmarks. Still a bug, but at least there is a workaround. However, Facebook for Windows Phone (the standalong app) still defaults to "Only Me" and unlike Windows Phone FB app doesn't show up under Bookmarks. It likely has the same underlying issue, but in the mean time you can at least change the visibility on each post -- just can't change the default setting.

dbmitc01

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
So just for the heck of it, I made a brand new Facebook profile and loaded that account on to my phone, and when I post something using the new Facebook account, it works just fine. It posts everything to the setting I put on Facebook (Only Me, Friends, Public). So for whatever reason, new accounts work fine but FB accounts that have been around and have seen this Windows Phone privacy transition thing don't work.

And I looked under the Bookmarks, and Windows Phone isn't listed on mine.

dare1015

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
THIS IS KILLING ME! It isn't listed in my bookmarks either. My facebook birthdays got all crazy in hotmail.... I'm starting to get really annoyed by my phone... considering switching.

I finally figured out how to edit privacy settings for "Windows Phone" now that it no longer shows up under Account Settings > Apps. The trick is it still shows up under Bookmarks (https://www.facebook.com/#!/bookmarks/apps), accessible from Home, then hover over APPS in left navigation bar and click MORE. Click the Edit icon next to Windows Phone (which erreonously says "Remove" when you hover over it). The settings for this device show up, and you can change the visibility for posts. After fixing this, I removed the Windows Phone app completely and everything still works fine which makes sense because Windows phone shouldn't be using app settings any more in the first place, which is the root of this issue. It seems FB only partially removed the app, since it doesn't show up under Account Settings > Apps, but still showed up under Bookmarks. Still a bug, but at least there is a workaround. However, Facebook for Windows Phone (the standalong app) still defaults to "Only Me" and unlike Windows Phone FB app doesn't show up under Bookmarks. It likely has the same underlying issue, but in the mean time you can at least change the visibility on each post -- just can't change the default setting.

dare1015

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
What to do?
So just for the heck of it, I made a brand new Facebook profile and loaded that account on to my phone, and when I post something using the new Facebook account, it works just fine. It posts everything to the setting I put on Facebook (Only Me, Friends, Public). So for whatever reason, new accounts work fine but FB accounts that have been around and have seen this Windows Phone privacy transition thing don't work.

And I looked under the Bookmarks, and Windows Phone isn't listed on mine.

dare1015

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I finally fixed it!!!
I went to the Windows Phone Facebook App (on facebook.com) and the next day it showed up in my Apps on the side bar, from there click edit (pencil) and edit. Change from "Only Me" to "Friends" or whatever your preference is and close! YAY! :D

Glikogliko

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I finally fixed it!!!
I went to the Windows Phone Facebook App (on facebook.com) and the next day it showed up in my Apps on the side bar, from there click edit (pencil) and edit. Change from "Only Me" to "Friends" or whatever your preference is and close! YAY! :D

Hello, may you please elaborate on that and post some steps?
I can't figure out the steps needed to solve it :(

Thanks.

dbmitc01

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I finally fixed it. First, set your facebook settings to not display facebook using https (secure browsing). Then go here Windows Phone on Facebook | Facebook

It will appear like an empty page, but that doesn't matter. I just went to that page (or refreshed the page) a bunch of times, and the Windows Phone app finally appeared on the sidebar thing, just dare1015 said it would. Then hit the pencil to change the settings and you should be all set.

Finally fixed it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb