Windows Phone drowning in a sea of Androids

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I was out shopping today and thought I'll visit as many phone stores as possible in the mall. Some stores such as Phones4U are doing really good promotions for the Nokia Lumia 800. However, I can't help but feel that Windows Phone is drowning in a sea of Androids. The only Windows Phones I could find are the Lumia 800/710. Only one other shop had an HTC Titan. And to add insult to injury the demo Lumia phones in one of the shops was turned off!

Customers who walk in are automaticaly drawn to the wide array of Androids on display. Where are the windows phones from Samsungs, HTC's and LG's ? Microsoft can't succeed on the back of Nokia alone. They need to have other OEM's making Windows Phones too. Even Apple will not succeed in the current market if they were to release the iPhone now. So why the drought? I can only hope that these OEM's are waiting for Windows Phone 8. Whatever the reason I hope there will be more phones from the other OEM's or the future is not looking too bright for WP.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
That's not a worry when android hit it was only the g1 and only T-Mobile at first. They had even less representation. With At&t pushing and now Nokia all in I'm not worried

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Android is drowning in a sea of Android phones. Several top phones have bombed because of too much selection, hence the need for ads and retailer outreach. Apple has built in customer base and would and will continue to do fine. MS/Nokia will have to work for sales.

WinPhan7

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Regrdless of availability, there are too many consumers who don't trust our OS, have never been shown our OS, and couldn't name a a single person who owns our OS. Myself and another WP enthusiast have started the WinPhan campaign. Windows+Phone+Fan=WinPhan. We are trying to gain Fandroid and iFan attention that WP is a suitable and safe ecosystem to migrate to. It doesn't change how the carriers treat prospective WP owners, but it does empower those same prospects to feel comfortable to find out themselves what WP is about. At this point, we share in the responsibility as WP enthusiasts to help Microsoft out.

Sent from WinPhan7.5! using Board Express

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Regrdless of availability, there are too many consumers who don't trust our OS, have never been shown our OS, and couldn't name a a single person who owns our OS. Myself and another WP enthusiast have started the WinPhan campaign. Windows+Phone+Fan=WinPhan. We are trying to gain Fandroid and iFan attention that WP is a suitable and safe ecosystem to migrate to. It doesn't change how the carriers treat prospective WP owners, but it does empower those same prospects to feel comfortable to find out themselves what WP is about. At this point, we share in the responsibility as WP enthusiasts to help Microsoft out.

As a first adapter of android. This windows beginning is exactly the same. Have patience winphans

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Well said Andrea! Patience and persistence is the key! Are you a WinPhan? :)

My lumia once it arrives will be my first windows phone but I am excited and can see myself enjoying this OS. I have had all OSs and have been there from the beginning on android , iOS and it was the same. Little apps, missing functionality and every iteration got better. Only blackberry didn't move forward. Just look at the difference with windows mobile and now windows phone. Or mango and the coming Apollo they are on the right path

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I see where you're coming from, but to drown, you have to have already been floating on the top...

Maybe we could say Windows Phone as swimming up through a sea of Androids.

;)

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's not quite the same. G1 users were screwed by google/tmo for being an early adopter and the WP market is growing much faster. Once device sales are increased they will be set

Well yes Microsoft is doing a better initial support. My point is the rest is all similar and that android exploded. With patience windows phone will do well and learn from androids mistakes ie fragmentation and to much selection

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 will help consumers be less wary of the Windows Phone OS. Hardware also goes a long way and up until the Lumia 900, most Window phones have been Android rejects. Android is enjoying a temporary high; it will crash soon for a number of reasons.

1. No real successful Android tablet. The Kindle Fire is not really an Andoid tablet. And even HP's TouchPad became the number 2 tablet behind the iPad despite only being on the market for 6 weeks. Since then, the iPad has mostly owned the market and the Kindle Fire has outsold all Android tablets combined.
  2. 61% of Android phones are still on 2.3 even though a 4.0 was released six months ago. No one is upgrading or their manufacturer has not released an update. That will eventually lead to a very stale experience.
  3. At some point, companies are going to realize that having to pay a premium to Microsoft for every Android phone isn't worth it when they could just be making Windows Phones.

Android's dominance will not last. The ARM version of W8 combined with desirable hardware for WP will lead to Windows Phone taking a lot of Android's business. The most hardened nerd will stick with Android (as they use Ubuntu on their PCs) but the general public will return the smartphone OS market to the two who control the PC OS market.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see the amount of Windows Phones problem. Actually i would welcome something between Android and iOS. Not the Android fragmentation, but more hw choices than for iOS.

I feel it's still about the hero product and feature parity with Android and iOS when it comes to WP.

Android started selling more than Symbian after the specifications and features where there. I know it should not matter, but when there's Windows Phone with cutting edge SoC, amazing high def screen, great camera etc you will see it people lining for the phone. Android really exploded after first Galaxy S.

Hopefully Apollo will be able to give the support for that hardware.

Last edited:

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Carriers also need to stop sabotaging sales. My bro went into a VZ store and when he was going to check out the HTC trophy this rep got in his way and redirected him to a razr maxx and was telling him how great it was and that windows doesn't have any apps. Had he not have called me he probably would've went with that. I told him to get the Titan 2 on AT$T.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes it currently is but one day just one of these days carriers will pick up and redesign their stores with separate sections for Androids, Windows and iOS

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
*snip*
Android really exploded after first Galaxy S.

Hopefully Apollo will be able to give the support for that hardware.

Galaxy S? Psshhh..OG Droid ;) Saw something about a year later, representing Android activations by day and overlaid on a map. That phone (and the ad campaign by Verizon) made Android blow up.

Found the link..http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/visualized-android-activations-mapped-geographically-chronolog/

Droid blew up in the US, Galaxy S seemed to light up slower but got Europe shining for sure. Though more phones available by then as well.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S? Psshhh..OG Droid ;) Saw something about a year later, representing Android activations by day and overlaid on a map. That phone (and the ad campaign by Verizon) made Android blow up.

Found the link..Visualized: Android activations mapped geographically, chronologically, breathtakingly (video) -- Engadget

Droid blew up in the US, Galaxy S seemed to light up slower but got Europe shining for sure. Though more phones available by then as well.

Yeah i'am looking it from European perspective. :) Motorola wasn't mostly even availabe so Droid didn't make much of a impact. While at the GS launch Android raised to be the "norm" over here.

Though you are right that Droid started the initial push.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Sea of Androids?? Go into Verizon. Man, I am kind of a phone geek and if I was going in to buy an Android phone I would pull my hair out. They must have close to 20 Android phones on display, with different specs/features and manufacturer software. It's just crazy. Who wants to look through all those phones?

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
As a first adapter of android. This windows beginning is exactly the same. Have patience winphans

Well, not exactly the same. I had a G1...
Fun phone, but horrible battery life, EVERYTHING crashed, and the thing broke all the time.

WP7 had a better launch.

In spirit, however, I completely agree with your sentiment.

AndreaCristiano

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, not exactly the same. I had a G1...
Fun phone, but horrible battery life, EVERYTHING crashed, and the thing broke all the time.

WP7 had a better launch.

In spirit, however, I completely agree with your sentiment.

I'm spirit I meant completely. Nothing like that alpha handset g1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05