IE9 = Rubbish?

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its just me, but using this takes me back to the early 00's with WAP connections, Take the mobile twitter site, its a text based affair with no graphics unlike iOS and android who display it like their mobile apps, same with various websites I load, the look like they did on my old Nokia 7210 I had back in 2002 where as Safari on iOS and the Android web browser look basically the same as they would on a computer. What the reason for this?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
IE9 loads the mobile version by default and apparently Twitter's mobile webpage looks like crap. To use the desktop version just go to

Settings > Applications > Internet Explorer > Website Preference > Desktop Version

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
IE9 loads the mobile version by default and apparently Twitter's mobile webpage looks like crap. To use the desktop version just go to

Settings > Applications > Internet Explorer > Website Preference > Desktop Version

If you have access to an iPhone or Android phone go to mobile twitter, your taken to a mobile site that looks identical to their respective apps on iOS and Android, go to it on Windows Phone and yes it does look like crap, its totally different, a text based mess.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Its not IE's fault, it's the developers for Facebook, Twitter etc. How do I know? Type this into IE: iPhone.facebook.com

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I know which crappy twitter site you're referring to. IE sometimes directs me to it, but I haven't seen it n a while. I always get the nicer looking mobile site now. After logging in to your twitter account try manually typing in m.twitter.com in the URL. See if it helps any.

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
yea , sometimes a page is launched in a partial html based view, rather than a mobile verizon or full html. this can fixed by changing you web preferences , as decsribed by figure8dash. or by manually typing in the web page in the browser with the m. in front of it. seemed to be intermitant, and yes not ie9's fault.

if you have a pc, download google chrome and look at the difference between that and
ie9, and for whatever reason some people claim that chrome is faster... i couldnt stand it. it wont let you scrooll or do anything until the full page is loaded. i actually love IE9

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh, you are indeed correct

Oh no, its not the developers fault.
If you don't trust my word for it, then ask any web developer out there.
The single worst thing in web development is Internet Explorer.

There is a stanard that browsers must support, so developers can run their code on all browsers.
Offcourse that standard is teheoretical but in most cases there are only a few differences.
When it comes to IE things never seem to work as they should!

No web developer should be a stranger to code like:
<!--[if IE 6]>
Special instructions for IE 6 here
<![endif]-->

It was frustrating when IE6 was still supported and I must say it changed a bit with IE9 but I'ts still far from perfect!
I beleve that good things should be noted but bad things should be too!
WP7 is a great OS but you can not escape every problem it has by blaming someone else.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

There is a stanard that browsers must support, so developers can run their code on all browsers.
Offcourse that standard is teheoretical but in most cases there are only a few differences.

It was frustrating when IE6 was still supported and I must say it changed a bit with IE9 but I'ts still far from perfect!
WP7 is a great OS but you can not escape every problem it has by blaming someone else.
IE's support for standards has nothing to do with this. The developers probably aren't properly recognizing WP as a smartphone and are redirecting it to the barebones mobile site (the one that's intended for flip phones and such) rather than the more fully featured mobile site. So, it is the developers' fault.

And yes, I am a web developer. Older versions of IE were a pain but IE9 is pretty compliant with standards. If you still have to support IE6 then I really feel for you, but nobody really uses it anymore, and I don't support it in any of my projects anymore.

dj9928

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
IE's support for standards has nothing to do with this. The developers probably aren't properly recognizing WP as a smartphone and are redirecting it to the barebones mobile site (the one that's intended for flip phones and such) rather than the more fully featured mobile site. So, it is the developers' fault.

And yes, I am a web developer. Older versions of IE were a pain but IE9 is pretty compliant with standards. If you still have to support IE6 then I really feel for you, but nobody really uses it anymore, and I don't support it in any of my projects anymore.

Yes this is exactly what I have seen happening, they are not recognising it as a smart phone and are redirecting as you say to a barebones site. You be surprised how many websites actually are doing this.

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

My post was a bit offtopic because I realy wasn't answering to the thread but to the post blaming the developers of the tweeter site in question.

Its a good thing you explained the problem with the tweeter in this particular case but what i wanted to say was that when sites are displayed ok in all browsers but one it is usualy the browsers fault and not the developers.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

You're thinking of IE6, you shouldn't have any problems with IE9 (well no more than any other browser).

Yes, and IE9 is about as good at supporting that standard as any other browser.

Specifically what standards is IE failing to meet that all the other web browsers do? From what i can see it's not a case of that at all, just that these mobile sites direct users based on the User Agent String to a specific website for that browser (which is generally the website version of their mobile app for that platform), if they don't have a specific site to match that browser you get some crappy mobile site unless you set your browser to desktop mode. Nothing to do with standards there.

No browser is perfect but you really shouldn't have to write anything specifically for IE9 any more than any other browsers. That is far from the old days of IE6.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
if you have a pc, download google chrome and look at the difference between that and ie9, and for whatever reason some people claim that chrome is faster... i couldnt stand it. it wont let you scrooll or do anything until the full page is loaded. i actually love IE9

For that matter try the stock browser on ICS. It's one of the few apps on my Galaxy Nexus that lags and stutters like crazy. Oddly enough the beta version of Chrome works well on that phone, but the stock version is just painful. If there was a version of IE9 for Android it would have been installed the first day.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Possibly the most failed logic I've ever seen in one post. IE9 is fully standards compliant. Don't believe me goto acid3.acidtests.com and you'll see that IE9 gets a perfect score. Also the reason OP is experiencing what he's experiencing is because web devs are coding their sites in webkit which is what IE9 doesn't use. It uses trident which is what the desktop version uses. Also webkit is currently flawed as its been exploited and we know that this won't be patched on Android phones.

Dormage

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Would you people stop posting bull sh1t comments without reading the posts?
I've clearly wrote i was talking about IE6 and noted the improvement of IE9.
I've not replyed to the OP's question but to someone blaming the web page developers for mistakes like.
In this case it might have been their fault with the redirection not working for WP7 but in general that is not the case. If a web page is displayed ok in all browsers but one then go figure.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Would you people stop posting bull sh1t comments without reading the posts?
I've clearly wrote i was talking about IE6 and noted the improvement of IE9.
I've not replyed to the OP's question but to someone blaming the web page developers for mistakes like.
In this case it might have been their fault with the redirection not working for WP7 but in general that is not the case. If a web page is displayed ok in all browsers but one then go figure.

this reply shows that you didn't even read my post.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It's cause IE on WP7 does not properly handle a lot of the WebKit-optimized code in some of those mobile sites. The Facebook WebKit site loads, but it's slow and a rather bad user experience on WP7 compared to Android and iOS.

If there was a decent Official Twitter/FB app we wouldn't have to care about their crappy websites, anyways.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
anti fallacies reply

It's cause IE on WP7 does not properly handle a lot of the WebKit-optimized code in some of those mobile sites. The Facebook WebKit site loads, but it's slow and a rather bad user experience on WP7 compared to Android and iOS.

If there was a decent Official Twitter/FB app we wouldn't have to care about their crappy websites, anyways.

the touch Facebook site works fine to me, as does the official Facebook app. Of course I only use it to respond to friend requests and event invites, the built in functionality does the rest. There are plenty of real good twitter apps.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The phone?s web browser, officially called Internet Explorer 9 Mobile, is conveniently labeled with the familiar Internet Explorer logo, and it?s prominently displayed as its own tile on the home screen. The browser isn?t the handset?s most stellar feature, but it?s not bad. Even on the 800?480 screen, text on web pages is crisp and comfortable to read, whether it?s dark type on a bright white background, or white against black.

Sites load properly, but most sites load a second or so slower on the 900′s browser than on the mobile Safari browser on the iPhone 4S. Loading The New York Times? homepage, for example, took about one second longer on the Nokia. Although the browser scores significantly worse than Safari in Sunspider benchmarking, AT&T?s 4G speeds are fast enough that loading times still feel totally acceptable when you?re away from Wi-Fi.

Nokia Lumia 900 Review: The Great, Bright Blue Hope

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Blaming developers is fine for me. As a web developer I have always been blamed when a website did not work no matter if it was the browser's fault. It is the developers' fault if they did not test in a particular browser.

And in this specific case it is even more reasonable to blame the developers because as it turns ot they are serving invalid mime type which is an error that other browser are ignoring - Twitter’s mobile web page broken for WP7 and IE9 is being blamed | WMPoweruser

Ignoring errors is pretty bad practice in any software but due to the way the web evolved it is a common practice. If browsers did not ignore errors we wouldn't have problems with the standards to begin with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb