The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-10-2012 09:13 PM
35 12
tools
    Maybe its just me, but using this takes me back to the early 00's with WAP connections, Take the mobile twitter site, its a text based affair with no graphics unlike iOS and android who display it like their mobile apps, same with various websites I load, the look like they did on my old Nokia 7210 I had back in 2002 where as Safari on iOS and the Android web browser look basically the same as they would on a computer. What the reason for this?
    04-04-2012 06:49 AM
    IE9 loads the mobile version by default and apparently Twitter's mobile webpage looks like crap. To use the desktop version just go to

Settings > Applications > Internet Explorer > Website Preference > Desktop Version
    04-04-2012 06:57 AM
    IE9 loads the mobile version by default and apparently Twitter's mobile webpage looks like crap. To use the desktop version just go to

Settings > Applications > Internet Explorer > Website Preference > Desktop Version
    If you have access to an iPhone or Android phone go to mobile twitter, your taken to a mobile site that looks identical to their respective apps on iOS and Android, go to it on Windows Phone and yes it does look like crap, its totally different, a text based mess.
    04-04-2012 07:07 AM
    Its not IE's fault, it's the developers for Facebook, Twitter etc. How do I know? Type this into IE: iPhone.facebook.com
    04-04-2012 07:21 AM
    Its not IE's fault, it's the developers for Facebook, Twitter etc. How do I know? Type this into IE: iPhone.facebook.com
    Oh, you are indeed correct
    04-04-2012 07:26 AM
    I know which crappy twitter site you're referring to. IE sometimes directs me to it, but I haven't seen it n a while. I always get the nicer looking mobile site now. After logging in to your twitter account try manually typing in m.twitter.com in the URL. See if it helps any.
    Last edited by ninjaap; 04-04-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    04-04-2012 07:38 AM
    yea , sometimes a page is launched in a partial html based view, rather than a mobile verizon or full html. this can fixed by changing you web preferences , as decsribed by figure8dash. or by manually typing in the web page in the browser with the m. in front of it. seemed to be intermitant, and yes not ie9's fault.

if you have a pc, download google chrome and look at the difference between that and
    ie9, and for whatever reason some people claim that chrome is faster... i couldnt stand it. it wont let you scrooll or do anything until the full page is loaded. i actually love IE9
    04-04-2012 08:13 AM
    Oh, you are indeed correct
    Oh no, its not the developers fault.
    If you don't trust my word for it, then ask any web developer out there.
    The single worst thing in web development is Internet Explorer.

There is a stanard that browsers must support, so developers can run their code on all browsers.
    Offcourse that standard is teheoretical but in most cases there are only a few differences.
    When it comes to IE things never seem to work as they should!

No web developer should be a stranger to code like:
    <!--[if IE 6]>
    Special instructions for IE 6 here
    <![endif]-->
    It was frustrating when IE6 was still supported and I must say it changed a bit with IE9 but I'ts still far from perfect!
    I beleve that good things should be noted but bad things should be too!
    WP7 is a great OS but you can not escape every problem it has by blaming someone else.
    04-04-2012 08:24 AM

There is a stanard that browsers must support, so developers can run their code on all browsers.
    Offcourse that standard is teheoretical but in most cases there are only a few differences.

It was frustrating when IE6 was still supported and I must say it changed a bit with IE9 but I'ts still far from perfect!
    WP7 is a great OS but you can not escape every problem it has by blaming someone else.
    IE's support for standards has nothing to do with this. The developers probably aren't properly recognizing WP as a smartphone and are redirecting it to the barebones mobile site (the one that's intended for flip phones and such) rather than the more fully featured mobile site. So, it is the developers' fault.

And yes, I am a web developer. Older versions of IE were a pain but IE9 is pretty compliant with standards. If you still have to support IE6 then I really feel for you, but nobody really uses it anymore, and I don't support it in any of my projects anymore.
    04-04-2012 08:52 AM
    IE's support for standards has nothing to do with this. The developers probably aren't properly recognizing WP as a smartphone and are redirecting it to the barebones mobile site (the one that's intended for flip phones and such) rather than the more fully featured mobile site. So, it is the developers' fault.

And yes, I am a web developer. Older versions of IE were a pain but IE9 is pretty compliant with standards. If you still have to support IE6 then I really feel for you, but nobody really uses it anymore, and I don't support it in any of my projects anymore.
    Yes this is exactly what I have seen happening, they are not recognising it as a smart phone and are redirecting as you say to a barebones site. You be surprised how many websites actually are doing this.
    04-04-2012 08:54 AM

My post was a bit offtopic because I realy wasn't answering to the thread but to the post blaming the developers of the tweeter site in question.

Its a good thing you explained the problem with the tweeter in this particular case but what i wanted to say was that when sites are displayed ok in all browsers but one it is usualy the browsers fault and not the developers.
    04-04-2012 10:09 AM
    You're thinking of IE6, you shouldn't have any problems with IE9 (well no more than any other browser).

Yes, and IE9 is about as good at supporting that standard as any other browser.

Specifically what standards is IE failing to meet that all the other web browsers do? From what i can see it's not a case of that at all, just that these mobile sites direct users based on the User Agent String to a specific website for that browser (which is generally the website version of their mobile app for that platform), if they don't have a specific site to match that browser you get some crappy mobile site unless you set your browser to desktop mode. Nothing to do with standards there.

No browser is perfect but you really shouldn't have to write anything specifically for IE9 any more than any other browsers. That is far from the old days of IE6.
    04-04-2012 06:30 PM
    if you have a pc, download google chrome and look at the difference between that and ie9, and for whatever reason some people claim that chrome is faster... i couldnt stand it. it wont let you scrooll or do anything until the full page is loaded. i actually love IE9
    For that matter try the stock browser on ICS. It's one of the few apps on my Galaxy Nexus that lags and stutters like crazy. Oddly enough the beta version of Chrome works well on that phone, but the stock version is just painful. If there was a version of IE9 for Android it would have been installed the first day.
    04-04-2012 06:40 PM

Possibly the most failed logic I've ever seen in one post. IE9 is fully standards compliant. Don't believe me goto acid3.acidtests.com and you'll see that IE9 gets a perfect score. Also the reason OP is experiencing what he's experiencing is because web devs are coding their sites in webkit which is what IE9 doesn't use. It uses trident which is what the desktop version uses. Also webkit is currently flawed as its been exploited and we know that this won't be patched on Android phones.
    04-04-2012 08:17 PM
    Would you people stop posting bull sh1t comments without reading the posts?
    I've clearly wrote i was talking about IE6 and noted the improvement of IE9.
    I've not replyed to the OP's question but to someone blaming the web page developers for mistakes like.
    In this case it might have been their fault with the redirection not working for WP7 but in general that is not the case. If a web page is displayed ok in all browsers but one then go figure.
    04-05-2012 06:44 AM
    Would you people stop posting bull sh1t comments without reading the posts?
    I've clearly wrote i was talking about IE6 and noted the improvement of IE9.
    I've not replyed to the OP's question but to someone blaming the web page developers for mistakes like.
    In this case it might have been their fault with the redirection not working for WP7 but in general that is not the case. If a web page is displayed ok in all browsers but one then go figure.
    this reply shows that you didn't even read my post.
    wolf1891 likes this.
    04-05-2012 09:01 AM
    It's cause IE on WP7 does not properly handle a lot of the WebKit-optimized code in some of those mobile sites. The Facebook WebKit site loads, but it's slow and a rather bad user experience on WP7 compared to Android and iOS.

If there was a decent Official Twitter/FB app we wouldn't have to care about their crappy websites, anyways.
    04-06-2012 11:29 PM
    It's cause IE on WP7 does not properly handle a lot of the WebKit-optimized code in some of those mobile sites. The Facebook WebKit site loads, but it's slow and a rather bad user experience on WP7 compared to Android and iOS.

If there was a decent Official Twitter/FB app we wouldn't have to care about their crappy websites, anyways.
    the touch Facebook site works fine to me, as does the official Facebook app. Of course I only use it to respond to friend requests and event invites, the built in functionality does the rest. There are plenty of real good twitter apps.
    04-07-2012 12:01 AM
    The phones web browser, officially called Internet Explorer 9 Mobile, is conveniently labeled with the familiar Internet Explorer logo, and its prominently displayed as its own tile on the home screen. The browser isnt the handsets most stellar feature, but its not bad. Even on the 800480 screen, text on web pages is crisp and comfortable to read, whether its dark type on a bright white background, or white against black.

Sites load properly, but most sites load a second or so slower on the 900′s browser than on the mobile Safari browser on the iPhone 4S. Loading The New York Times homepage, for example, took about one second longer on the Nokia. Although the browser scores significantly worse than Safari in Sunspider benchmarking, AT&Ts 4G speeds are fast enough that loading times still feel totally acceptable when youre away from Wi-Fi.
    Nokia Lumia 900 Review: The Great, Bright Blue Hope
    04-07-2012 03:26 AM
    Blaming developers is fine for me. As a web developer I have always been blamed when a website did not work no matter if it was the browser's fault. It is the developers' fault if they did not test in a particular browser.

And in this specific case it is even more reasonable to blame the developers because as it turns ot they are serving invalid mime type which is an error that other browser are ignoring - Twitter&rsquo;s mobile web page broken for WP7 and IE9 is being blamed | WMPoweruser

Ignoring errors is pretty bad practice in any software but due to the way the web evolved it is a common practice. If browsers did not ignore errors we wouldn't have problems with the standards to begin with.
    kenzibit likes this.
    04-08-2012 06:24 PM
    Maybe its just me, but using this takes me back to the early 00's with WAP connections, Take the mobile twitter site, its a text based affair with no graphics unlike iOS and android who display it like their mobile apps, same with various websites I load, the look like they did on my old Nokia 7210 I had back in 2002 where as Safari on iOS and the Android web browser look basically the same as they would on a computer. What the reason for this?
    Are you slugger09 from the XDA developers? - IE9 = Rubbish? - xda-developers

You've posted EXACTLY same post out there. Probably our responses in the XDA did not give you enough reason to believe that IE is not rubbish?

IE9 has a set protocol and requires various files that will make display of the page beautiful. Any website developer SHOULD know this.

Twitter recently made changes to their mobile website and did not bother to test it on IE9 or WP for that matter. Ofcourse they messed up. The files in their mobile website are the ones that are compatible with IE6 and IE7 - isn't that a bit silly already?

So that is the reason. I think directly or indirectly and technically or non-technically we did explain the same thing on the XDA but hey ho, we meet again! :)
    eric12341 likes this.
    04-08-2012 07:13 PM
    You can't blame a developer for not supporting a browser with such low marketshare.

It's like blaming them because their site doesn't work with Opera. They'll just give you this "Really?" look.

Android + iOS is over 80% of the US market and probably about 50%+ of the World Market. Symbian now uses WebKit. Blackberry now uses WebKit. Bada uses WebKit.

Why would you waste developer time supporting Trident when 95% of the world is using WebKit? Think of it like a developer, before you blame them.

Everyone here uses WP7 and likes their phone (I'd hope), but use a bit of logic before flinging poo at developers and major corporations who have much more important things to worry about than tweaking their sites to support niche platforms.

There are 3rd decent apps available for those services so it's not like the mobile site not working is going to stop people from buying a Windows Phone.

To the person who made the comment directed at me about the Facebook app being fine: Any app that wastes 25% of my screen real estate on a top banner instead of real content falls short in my book.
    04-09-2012 01:27 AM
    To add to this, can this rendering problem be linked to some of my friends and I in Ghana not bieng able to log in to the official or any third party twitter apps on our phones?? I have been denied access to my twitter feeds since 25th March and initially thought it was from my phone so did a hard reset and still not able to log in. All apps that need twitter authorization are not working and i'm very desperate and sad. The only way I can check my twitter feeds is from the people hub which is very limited.
    Any help on this? can they be linked? my phone is becoming useless now when it comes to twitter. :(
    04-09-2012 03:04 AM
    Twitter is the prime example, I took this last night of my twitter account on mobile twitter.
    04-09-2012 03:50 AM
    To the person who made the comment directed at me about the Facebook app being fine: Any app that wastes 25% of my screen real estate on a top banner instead of real content falls short in my book.
    It wasn't me that commented there but wow really? So by that logic, the entire OS should fall short in your book. All metro apps (at least in the panorama view) technically use the "top 25% of your screen real estate" for the sole purpose of labeling the section. Then following THAT logic the Facebook app theoretically is MORE useful than other apps with simple panorama labeling, because as I recall; while other apps use the top part for labeling the Facebook app actually allows you to check friend requests, messages or notifications. Hmm... Would you look at that oddity lol
    04-09-2012 04:48 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD