10 predictions about windows phone 8

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
10 predictions for Windows Phone 8 | TechRepublic

With the Windows 8 release just around the corner, there has been a lot of talk about what we can expect from Microsoft?s latest desktop operating system. However, Microsoft is also developing an ARM edition of Windows 8 that will be used on consumer electronic devices, such as tablets and cell phones. I thought it might be fun to list some of my predictions for the next Windows Phone release.

1: It will run Metro apps only
Metro apps are a new type of application that will run only on Windows 8. X86/X64 editions of Windows 8 can run legacy applications through something called Desktop Mode. Microsoft has confirmed that Desktop Mode will exist in ARM editions but says that the only applications supported will be Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, and Microsoft Office.

My prediction is that Windows Phone 8 will not include Desktop Mode at all. I think that Microsoft will offer Metro versions of Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office instead.

2: There will be many throwbacks to Windows Phone 7
The more I learn about Windows 8, the more I can?t help but get the impression that Windows Phone 7?s operating system was an experiment in the Windows 8 development cycle. So I think we?ll see a lot of throwbacks to Windows Phone 7. For example, I think that Windows Phone 8 will make even more extensive use of live tiles, but that the Start screen will be more customizable than it is on Windows Phone 7.

3: You?ll be able to join the phones to a domain
Windows Phone devices running Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 could be joined to a domain, but Microsoft removed this functionality in Windows Phone 7. As much as I love my Windows Phone 7 device, there are a few areas in which it?s lacking. I think Microsoft will try to address these shortcomings in Windows Phone 8 by offering the ability to join the phone to a domain and various other enterprise-related functions.

4: There will be a consumer and a pro edition
Although there is no history of this (at least not with Windows Mobile), I am going to go out on a limb and predict that Microsoft will offer a consumer and a pro version of Windows Phone 8. I expect the consumer version to be heavily oriented toward social networking and gaming, while the pro version will likely offer things like group policy support and the ability to be managed via System Center products.

5: It will be time to say goodbye to Zune
One of the key features in Windows Phone 7 is that devices have Zune HD built in. From what I have seen so far in some of the Windows 8 preview builds, it appears that Microsoft might be dropping the Zune label. I expect Windows Phone 8 to play music and videos, and I expect it to use a Zune-like interface, but I doubt that Microsoft will refer to the interface as Zune.

6: It will offer a more full-featured version of Microsoft Office
Windows Mobile devices have always included mobile versions of Microsoft Office, but even the version included with Windows Phone 7 lacks much of the functionality found in the full version. My guess is that it?s only a matter of time before Microsoft releases a Metro version of Office, and I will be surprised if Office Metro isn?t included on at least the pro version of Windows Phone 8.

7: There will be better hardware
Windows Phone 7 devices use decent hardware, but I expect Windows Phone 8 devices to run on even better hardware. At a minimum, I expect to see phones with multicore processors. I also think that the phones will offer something that was sorely missing from Windows Phone 7 devices ? SD card support.

8: More accessories will be available
One of my biggest gripes when Windows Phone 7 was released was that even though the devices included a built-in Zune HD, Zune HD accessories are not compatible with the phones. In fact, there aren?t many accessories you can buy for Windows Phone 7 at all.

Apple has made a fortune licensing companies to make accessories for the iPhone. I think Microsoft will probably follow suit with Windows Phone 8 and try to flood the market will cool hardware accessories.

9: There will be a dashboard-like Start screen
Windows Phone 7?s Start screen consists of a series of live tiles. For example, my phone has tiles that tell me how many email messages are unread, how many calls I have missed, and what the stock market is doing.

Live tiles are a good idea, but in Windows Phone 7 they?re a bit too ridged. I think that in Windows Phone 8, Microsoft will make the live tiles much more customizable. In fact, I think that the phone?s Start screen will resemble a dashboard, providing all the most relevant information at a glance.

10: SkyDrive integration will be tighter
Windows Phone 7 offers SkyDrive integration, but SkyDrive is primarily used as a place to store Office documents. I think that in Windows Phone 8, SkyDrive will be accessible throughout the operating system and will be treated as all-purpose storage.

On the money?
Do you think these predictions are likely to come true? What do you expect to see in Windows Phone 8?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
10 predictions for Windows Phone 8 | TechRepublic

With the Windows 8 release just around the corner, there has been a lot of talk about what we can expect from Microsoft?s latest desktop operating system. However, Microsoft is also developing an ARM edition of Windows 8 that will be used on consumer electronic devices, such as tablets and cell phones. I thought it might be fun to list some of my predictions for the next Windows Phone release.

Metro apps are a new type of application that will run only on Windows 8. X86/X64 editions of Windows 8 can run legacy applications through something called Desktop Mode. Microsoft has confirmed that Desktop Mode will exist in ARM editions but says that the only applications supported will be Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, and Microsoft Office.

My prediction is that Windows Phone 8 will not include Desktop Mode at all. I think that Microsoft will offer Metro versions of Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Office instead.

On the money?
Do you think these predictions are likely to come true? What do you expect to see in Windows Phone 8?

At this point its pretty clear that whoever wrote this has no idea what he's talking about and is just spewing BS out his behind. As if this was even a consideration for a phone OS, he'll probably come back and bash WP8 for not having it......:rolleyes:

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
1: is given
2: agreed

3: Not sure
4: Doubtful. I have heard that even windows 8 is going to be a single version.
5: MS has openly stated that. Zune is gone
6: Lets hope so.
7: Given
8: Not an OS issue
9: Like iphone's notification (pulling down). I hope so.
10: SkyDrive integration will be tighter. Agreed

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
yes it has started... i honestly wish windows 8 would stay exactly the same as mango with some added features and more xbox / pc integration. maybe some more tile / background customability. but thats it...

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see number 4 happen. Blackberry is surviving on its support of enterprise, but Apple is rapidly gaining, especially with the iPad. Microsoft, of all companies, should have excellent enterprise support.

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
3: You’ll be able to join the phones to a domain
Windows Phone devices running Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 could be joined to a domain, but Microsoft removed this functionality in Windows Phone 7. As much as I love my Windows Phone 7 device, there are a few areas in which it’s lacking. I think Microsoft will try to address these shortcomings in Windows Phone 8 by offering the ability to join the phone to a domain and various other enterprise-related functions.
No, unfortunately, not even WOA tablets can be joined to a domain.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone release.

Duh. Clearly the phone isn't going to run x86 applications. There's no reason for it to even have a desktop mode. I highly doubt it will have windows explorer or the desktop version of IE either.

2: There will be many throwbacks to Windows Phone 7
The more I learn about Windows 8, the more I can?t help but get the impression that Windows Phone 7?s operating system was an experiment in the Windows 8 development cycle. So I think we?ll see a lot of throwbacks to Windows Phone 7. For example, I think that Windows Phone 8 will make even more extensive use of live tiles, but that the Start screen will be more customizable than it is on Windows Phone 7.

Maybe. I'm not sure how the live tile use can be more extensive but the tiles might be more similar to the tablets metro interface.

3: You?ll be able to join the phones to a domain
Windows Phone devices running Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 could be joined to a domain, but Microsoft removed this functionality in Windows Phone 7. As much as I love my Windows Phone 7 device, there are a few areas in which it?s lacking. I think Microsoft will try to address these shortcomings in Windows Phone 8 by offering the ability to join the phone to a domain and various other enterprise-related functions.

Doubtful. WoA tablets won't be joinable, why would the phones. Personally, I think that is a BIG mistake on their part. As an IT worker, I can tell you we don't like iPads because of the inability to centrally manage and control them. If WoA tablets could work with AD almost every large IT department would be pushing HARD to use Windows tablets over iPads. They would get a huge and instant boost in uptake. Of course, this could be something they add later or are playing close to the vest to keep the competition from beating them to the punch. I know I probably would.

4: There will be a consumer and a pro edition
Although there is no history of this (at least not with Windows Mobile), I am going to go out on a limb and predict that Microsoft will offer a consumer and a pro version of Windows Phone 8. I expect the consumer version to be heavily oriented toward social networking and gaming, while the pro version will likely offer things like group policy support and the ability to be managed via System Center products.

Doubtful. It's a lot of work and I don't really see a lot of benefit from them doing so. If you don't want to do the social network and gaming thing then just don't do it.

5: It will be time to say goodbye to Zune
One of the key features in Windows Phone 7 is that devices have Zune HD built in. From what I have seen so far in some of the Windows 8 preview builds, it appears that Microsoft might be dropping the Zune label. I expect Windows Phone 8 to play music and videos, and I expect it to use a Zune-like interface, but I doubt that Microsoft will refer to the interface as Zune.
Already been stated by MS. Presumably they will launch a replacement for Zune to go with Windows versions < Windows 8 as well.

6: It will offer a more full-featured version of Microsoft Office
Windows Mobile devices have always included mobile versions of Microsoft Office, but even the version included with Windows Phone 7 lacks much of the functionality found in the full version. My guess is that it?s only a matter of time before Microsoft releases a Metro version of Office, and I will be surprised if Office Metro isn?t included on at least the pro version of Windows Phone 8.
You might see a variation based on the WoA touch interface. Even that one is stripped down quite a bit. Remember, you're dealing with a very small screen so you have to limit your interface.

I think I remember reading something about the WoA version was going to use radials. You tap and hold on an icon and a radial menu of further options appears.

7: There will be better hardware
Windows Phone 7 devices use decent hardware, but I expect Windows Phone 8 devices to run on even better hardware. At a minimum, I expect to see phones with multicore processors. I also think that the phones will offer something that was sorely missing from Windows Phone 7 devices ? SD card support.
This was variously stated by different MS folks and revealed in the Nokia link a couple months back.

8: More accessories will be available
One of my biggest gripes when Windows Phone 7 was released was that even though the devices included a built-in Zune HD, Zune HD accessories are not compatible with the phones. In fact, there aren?t many accessories you can buy for Windows Phone 7 at all.

Apple has made a fortune licensing companies to make accessories for the iPhone. I think Microsoft will probably follow suit with Windows Phone 8 and try to flood the market will cool hardware accessories.

Blame the lack of sales and the handset makers here. It's not really Microsoft's job to ensure accessories are made for every handset design. I guarantee you will see more accessories appear as sales increase.

9: There will be a dashboard-like Start screen
Windows Phone 7?s Start screen consists of a series of live tiles. For example, my phone has tiles that tell me how many email messages are unread, how many calls I have missed, and what the stock market is doing.

Live tiles are a good idea, but in Windows Phone 7 they?re a bit too ridged. I think that in Windows Phone 8, Microsoft will make the live tiles much more customizable. In fact, I think that the phone?s Start screen will resemble a dashboard, providing all the most relevant information at a glance.

Don't live tiles pretty much already do this? If you want a dashboard full of widgets, go to Android.

10: SkyDrive integration will be tighter
Windows Phone 7 offers SkyDrive integration, but SkyDrive is primarily used as a place to store Office documents. I think that in Windows Phone 8, SkyDrive will be accessible throughout the operating system and will be treated as all-purpose storage.

Pretty much already stated as well.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
lol @ #1. I wasn't aware that my ARM SoC device could run x86 apps now.

2-4 are all unlikey. With #4 you will see more business friendly functionality but very unlikely there will be a separate "edition"

#5 has been happening since 2009

#6 Yeah, a variation of WoA is likely but even then it still has to me modified. Who knows?

#7 There already is better hardware.

#8 Blame OEM and third parties. MS might release official accessories but there are other players involved.

#9 Live tiles are a dashboard like start screen just in a different configuration.

#10 I thought this was coming in tango? Could be wrong though.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Duh. Clearly the phone isn't going to run x86 applications. There's no reason for it to even have a desktop mode. I highly doubt it will have windows explorer or the desktop version of IE either.

The ARM Windows 8 machines will have a desktop for running Office. I think he's just saying that the phone won't have this limited desktop mode.

This list was pretty seriously lame though. Pretty much everything on there has already been confirmed or denied by Microsoft or a really obvious extrapolation from what W8 desktop does.

What I would like to see with WP8 are things like dual front-facing cameras that can be used for Kinect-like interaction. Stuff like zooming in if you move the phone closer to your face, or signalling the UI to flip sides (start screen, camera, check marks on lists etc) if you're holding the phone in your left hand, or controlling the screen orientation by your face instead of gravity so you can use it in bed and it doesn't get confused if your vehicle hits a bump. Scroll around by waggling your finger in front of it so you don't get fingerstreaks on the screen. Sign-in with 3-d face recognition that can't be fooled by a photograph.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
The ARM Windows 8 machines will have a desktop for running Office. I think he's just saying that the phone won't have this limited desktop mode.

This list was pretty seriously lame though. Pretty much everything on there has already been confirmed or denied by Microsoft or a really obvious extrapolation from what W8 desktop does.

What I would like to see with WP8 are things like dual front-facing cameras that can be used for Kinect-like interaction. Stuff like zooming in if you move the phone closer to your face, or signalling the UI to flip sides (start screen, camera, check marks on lists etc) if you're holding the phone in your left hand, or controlling the screen orientation by your face instead of gravity so you can use it in bed and it doesn't get confused if your vehicle hits a bump. Scroll around by waggling your finger in front of it so you don't get fingerstreaks on the screen. Sign-in with 3-d face recognition that can't be fooled by a photograph.

WoA has will effectively be windows 8 just on a different architecture. There is a screenshot you can see on the internets on them running a very early WoA build on their Asus Dev phones. There are also shots of it running on tablets. The only difference is that Office 15 on arm is designed for touch and tuned for power consumption

Edit - Found it

Screen-Shot-2012-02-12-at-15.22.51.png

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
WoA has will effectively be windows 8 just on a different architecture. There is a screenshot you can see on the internets on them running a very early WoA build on their Asus Dev phones. There are also shots of it running on tablets. The only difference is that Office 15 on arm is designed for touch and tuned for power consumption

The other difference is Microsoft is on record - repeatedly - as stating that the only apps that will be allowed to use the Win32 API and the desktop on ARM devices will be the Office apps; all other apps must be written to WinRT and run on the Metro side of things. As there are special-purpose versions of the Office apps for WP, it is reasonable to expect that the desktop mode will *not* be present in WP8.

Also, speaking from experience with Win 8, the desktop mode is darned near unusable on a 13" tablet unless I use the stylus. I shudder to think what it would be like on a phone.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The other difference is Microsoft is on record - repeatedly - as stating that the only apps that will be allowed to use the Win32 API and the desktop on ARM devices will be the Office apps; all other apps must be written to WinRT and run on the Metro side of things. As there are special-purpose versions of the Office apps for WP, it is reasonable to expect that the desktop mode will *not* be present in WP8.

Also, speaking from experience with Win 8, the desktop mode is darned near unusable on a 13" tablet unless I use the stylus. I shudder to think what it would be like on a phone.

They are making a special touch version of Office to include with WoA. I would guess the WP version will use some variation of that. Their plans with Win 8 are really ambitious, I wonder how long it will take the EU to sue them for bundling Office and the like. For that matter, I wonder if there won't be antitrust complaints because MS lets their office suite run in desktop mode but not competing office suites thus giving themselves an unfair advantage.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
just in case it wasnt obvious, i didnt write these predictions it was a blog over at techrepublic.com (link posted) just thought it was some interesting reading. although i agree with most of your thoughts. i just want some minor tweaks here and there, deeper customability ( especially with tiles) and more apps from top developers. give me that and i am happy!!!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Thats my bad for not being clear. I automatically assume that WinRT is automatic since they need it to make their ecosystem actually work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes