I heard that the WP7 kernal still has a lot of WM in it, but WP8 won't, so I was wondering if WP7 will even be capable of updating to WP8. Any news on that?
    04-05-2012 07:25 AM
    That doesn't matter as much as you think. Kernels can be entirely different, as long as you have compatible drivers for whichever Kernel you want to use. Take the HTC HD2 for example; The phone can have WinMo, WP7, or Android on it.
    04-05-2012 07:46 AM
    I would agree on that but it requers a fresh install of the whole OS.
    Can that be done by the update process?
    Is the kernel in use while updating?
    04-05-2012 08:10 AM
    absolutely, BB did this with 5.0, and heck mango might as well been a whole new OS
    04-05-2012 08:19 AM
    I think the way Windows phones do updates has something to do with it's capability to do a total OS refresh on a phone. I could be wrong though. What do I know. I'm a consumer, not a WP engineer. lol.
    04-05-2012 08:29 AM
    What do you think happened when we got mango?

complete wiped of the OS and re-instal . thats all that's needed to update to WP8.

the only issue is if our first gen WP have enough ROM size to take on the new changes .

that's are pretty much the main reason we couldn't get the update.
    04-05-2012 08:50 AM
    devices use a separate utility to update. What's already on the device is irrelevant. Think of it as restoring an image on a pc
    04-05-2012 08:50 AM
    No, the kernel isn't in use while updating. That's done by the bootloader. The OS can update the bootloader, the bootloader can update the OS.
    04-05-2012 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD