Lumia 900: something to think about

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
http://m.intomobile.com/2012/04/05/editorial-nokia-should-have-never-brought-lumia-900-america/

This article brings up some good points to think about. I'm still going to get the Lumia 900 or the Titan 2 regardless. I don't own a windows. So i want to finally own one. And for 99 bucks on contract, I'm assuming Nokia had a plan to give you more than a taste for a good price then when Apollo phones drop people may flock to that because if the 900 reputation, which for our sake I hope turns out to be a good one.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Mandalai

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Editorial: Nokia should have never brought the Lumia 900 to America - IntoMobile

This article brings up some good points to think about. I'm still going to get the Lumia 900 or the Titan 2 regardless. I don't own a windows. So i want to finally own one. And for 99 bucks on contract, I'm assuming Nokia had a plan to give you more than a taste for a good price then when Apollo phones drop people may flock to that because if the 900 reputation, which for our sake I hope turns out to be a good one.

I've read all wp devices will work on Apollo.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Nokia should have launched with both the 800 and 900 on AT&T, but I suspect that once they decided on the $99 price target for the 900 then there wasn't any room beneath that for the 800. Too bad really because I suspect that many women would prefer the 800 for its extra sexiness and petite size.

What the OP's linked article is complaining about is that WP8 is too close to be releasing new phones; I don't think that's the case since very few people are aware of WP8 anyway, and I'd be *very* surprised if the Lumia 900 hasn't been running WP8 in the MS labs for months now. This is their hero phone - Microsoft can't afford to shaft the 900 owners the way Samsung did to the Galaxy S owners.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call that an editorial. It's barely a forum post (and not a very good one). His argument isn't well thought out and is lacking in any sort of statistical information.

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
If Nokia did the 800 and 900 owners a dirty one by not be able to have WP8 on the phones then I think i'd have to lose some loyalty points for them. I'm hoping they are infact testing this on the 800 and 900s. With the hardware differential coming to the Apollo phones, do you think that would be the start of some minor fragmentation? I mean Apple seems to have done ok with that issue. The only have a few different hardware platforms and for the most part seems to be chugging along ok still.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really concerned about this, and here's why:

1. Microsoft VERY, VERY rarely hits their software/OS release targets, and there isn't even an official release date for Apollo out yet.

2. Microsoft is going to continue to be extremely careful with Windows Phone. That means they aren't going to release any half-baked software a minute before it's ready.

3. Microsoft has had to work very very hard just to get the tiny, fledgling fan base for WP7 they have now and the 3-4% marketshare they represent. I think it is very unlikely they would do something that would so obviously alienate current users, like release Apollo this fall and make it completely incompatible with the current phones, for example.

So the bottom line is, Microsoft rarely ships anything on time. They have hardly even mentioned Apollo. Microsoft and Nokia are extremely keen to gain and retain customers. Worrying about Apollo now is ridiculous. If any Apollo phones have even shipped before Jan 2013 I will eat my hat.

I just pre-ordered a Lumia and I'm not the least bit concerned. The OS is great as it is and I don't care about quad cores and 4 GB of RAM, if I was a spec whore, I'd have stuck with Android. I have faith that the flagship/halo WP7 phone that M$ and Nokia spent hundred of millions on is not going to get abandoned for OS updates. If by some strange reason Apollo is radically different and won't run on anything other than a Core i7 Nokia 3000, then that's fine. It will take until the end of my 2 yr contract before the developers have made enough apps to take advantage of that to make the switch worthwhile.

Worrying about "future-proofing" your smartphone is a little ridiculous in most cases. Just enjoy your phone. Here. Now. :dry

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It would've not been smart to wait that long. Not at all. All current WP7's and last gen WP7's will receive Apollo, just like all iPhones (basically) get iOS 4, 5, etc.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm also fairly condfident that the 900 will get Appollo. I think what is going to happen is that when Appollo sees that it is on lower hardware, it will just limit some features. Most consumers wouldn't even know. They would just know that their phone got an update that added functionality....this is what I'm hoping anyway. I'm most likely going to end up buying an Appollo phone off contract either way. I am an admitted spec-whore. Which is why I almost bought a GNex, until I saw all the complaints. I won't be able to stand it knowing there is a multi-core, HD, NFC toting WP out there and I don't have one. :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I wonder how many android devices have got the latest version of their OS that was already announced. Maybe he should worry about that rather than an unannounced WP version.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It would've not been smart to wait that long. Not at all. All current WP7's and last gen WP7's will receive Apollo, just like all iPhones (basically) get iOS 4, 5, etc.

Sent from my Samsung Focus S using Board Express.

Perhaps.

I still don't think Microsoft will launch Apollo before there is at least one dual-core handset ready to launch with it, I don't think they will launch it anywhere near the launch of the Lumia 900 because they don't want to take attention away from that. I also don't think they will launch it a minute before it's ready.

The WORST thing they could do would be to push it out early to try and meet some arbitrary deadline and have the tech media crucify them over bugs and broken features and apps.

I'm patient. I'll wait for a fully vetted Apollo as long as it takes. I'm not an early adopter, a large part of the reason I am going to WP7 is that I am sick and tired of the cobbled together half-assed sh*tshow that is Android. I care more about a fluid, predictable reliable as **** phone interface than I do about having the latest, hottest, new 12 core brag-worthy stuff.

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I understand this a little, but Mango is fine, it is a really good OS. I would be/am more concerned that they aren't shipping with 8107 because of how freaking annoying the disappearing keyboard is. It would piss me off if I was a new adopter.

With all the rumors that the Windows 8 kernel is going to extremely efficient, I can't believe Microsoft injected doubt that all products would be updated. I bet they are regretting even mentioning something like that because it has made true fans nervous when there really is not any reason to be.

I feel that the aspect of this article that is true is the release date of Apollo. People have mentioned that Mango is lacking in areas like high end processors, and high res displays which is true. Microsoft, even in the third quarter of this year, will be half a year behind Apple and Google in that area. In Q4 of 2012 it will be 1 year since Mango's release date and 2 years since the release of the first vanilla phone. There is almost no question that if Microsoft wants to stay competitive they have to release Apollo at the end of this year and there is no reason to believe they can't. Mango came 11 months after vanilla in Sep 2011, Apollo can come in Aug 2012 if they need it to and I believe that is the truth of the matter.

And to the comment about Microsoft releasing software late: I disagree, the release of the preview, beta, etc for Windows Vista, 7, and 8 have all been within about 1 month of one another in their various years, not different enough to avoid accurate predictions about Win8 release times.

Finally, I would say that the primary reason they are being quiet and tightlipped about Apollo is because they don't want it to interfere with the Lumia launch. If they were talking about how awesome it will be with a release date a year or year and a half from now, it wouldn't impact Lumia sales at all: who is really going to wait a year? You could save a few dollars a month and afford a new off contract device a year from now, but six months? That seems a little close.

Last update: I would say the price tag is their defense as well, it is 100 dollars, new Windows Phone 8 will probably be 200 is my guess.

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Man, I am almost sick of people on other social areas bashing the Nokia Lumias let alone any other WP7 phone. All spec hungry just to say "I have more X than you" lol. Resolution is a little lacking on the WP7 devices, but it's not like its THAT much worse. It still looks nice. So what WP7 devices only have one core. If I really needed wanted to play intense games, I'd wait til I got home to play my big systems. Pics aren't as great? so what. Not like I'm going to be a freelance photographer with this phone. Movies aren't 1080p? Ok, whoever won an Oscar for something shot on a camera phone? People are expecting phones to be more than what they are. Mobile replacements for the real thing. The most important aspects are Making and receiving calls and communicating with folks. For as much as people pay for the devices yeah, you might expect them to do more, but the fact remains that even the best phones don't do many things as good as the real thing.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Man, I am almost sick of people on other social areas bashing the Nokia Lumias let alone any other WP7 phone. All spec hungry just to say "I have more X than you" lol. Resolution is a little lacking on the WP7 devices, but it's not like its THAT much worse. It still looks nice. So what WP7 devices only have one core. If I really needed wanted to play intense games, I'd wait til I got home to play my big systems. Pics aren't as great? so what. Not like I'm going to be a freelance photographer with this phone. Movies aren't 1080p? Ok, whoever won an Oscar for something shot on a camera phone? People are expecting phones to be more than what they are. Mobile replacements for the real thing. The most important aspects are Making and receiving calls and communicating with folks. For as much as people pay for the devices yeah, you might expect them to do more, but the fact remains that even the best phones don't do many things as good as the real thing.

You forgot texting and surfing the web, as for all other stuff I'm with you. How many people are really pushing these phones to their limits? I'm guessing not many.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You forgot texting and surfing the web, as for all other stuff I'm with you. How many people are really pushing these phones to their limits? I'm guessing not many.

Like seriously. Games would push it but I don't do that on my phones. I would be nice to see an age group comparison and what phones different generations own or want.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ility-windows-phone-8-hints-silverlight-death

being able to confirm that Windows Phone 8 will run Windows Phone 7 apps sounds like there is already extensive testing being done on the platform, 6 months from now I bet we see WP8

Not that the Lumia 900 is bad, just saying, it isn't the end all be all for WP like people are making it out to be

OY! That is one fugly phone! Maybe it would be better looking in hand but from the picture.... PASS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium