Posting my "oh snap!" moment.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Had m lumia 900 paired to my car. Got a text and it friggin asked to read my text message or ignore from "name". It read it and asked if I wanted to respond. I did and it actually made the accurate response. My 5 android phones never did that. Didn't even know the lumia ot WP7 phones did that.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Welve

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

as a T-Mobile user :(

both of you!

and yes, the voice recognition is pretty superb for the most part

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
This phone is pretty impressive so far. There is alot that it tries to do for you.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
you dont need bluetooth, set it to always on. just make sure your phone is locked and not on vibrate and it should tell you

Yeah, you definitely don't, but the reason I didn't mention it was because I was wondering who would want their text messages read out loud? It's like having all your calls on speakerphone so everyone around you can hear your conversations.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
If you are in the car by yourself or don't mind whoever else is there to hear its convenient. Just make sure you speak closed to proper English. For some reason it made some of my responses end in question marks.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
If you are in the car by yourself or don't mind whoever else is there to hear its convenient. Just make sure you speak closed to proper English. For some reason it made some of my responses end in question marks.

Actually if someone else is in the car with you, might as well tell them to type your response for you. Probably more reliable than the speech to text dictation. :p

But yeah, when you enter and exit the car, you'll have to remember to turn the setting on and off, or else it'll continue to ask to read your texts throughout the rest of your day.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
No it will only ask if you have a Bluetooth connected. If you don't it will turn off once disconnected

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
No it will only ask if you have a Bluetooth connected. If you don't it will turn off once disconnected

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

We were talking about if you turn on the setting for it to read it without a bluetooth. Under speech it says "Read aloud incoming text messages" and in addition to bluetooth, there's "Always on"

VelJharig

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think this is one of the features that really works well. I'd like to see a similar option for email if they can work out the logistics. I have mine set to always on due to situations where the phone is across the room from me or my hands are full. It's not really a problem as long as you don't mind it reading the name of the SMS sender without prompting. It asks you to confirm whether you want to "Read it" or "Ignore" so I just say "Ignore" if there are other people around and I don't want the contents of the message read out loud. It also gets some attention when it asks, because it sounds very Siri-like, which interests people, and they want to know which phone it is... :)

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The voice recognition is surprisingly good. One of my iPhone-owning friends was bragging to me about Siri and was surprised and disappointed that I could also dictate text messages just like he can (he thought it would really impress me).

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well the setting has to be on, but whenever I have a bluetooth headset connected to my phone, it'll read the text to me and ask me if I want to reply or ignore.

It also works with a wired headset (one came with my Focus S).

And while I'm on the subject, don't forget the voice search function on Bing. I always capture attention when I speak my search term instead of typing it. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99