Spotify or ZunePass

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
So I am thinking about signing up for a music service and these are the two that seem to make sense. Now on one hand I was really leaning towards ZunePass because of the integration with WP7. On the other hand I was thinking about maybe Spotify because than me & my wife could use it on or respective devices, Lumia and a 4s. Anyone have experience with this dilemma? Will we both be able to use Spotify at the same time on two different devices? Is it only able to log in by using Facebook? Thanks for any help in advance.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK - Spotify's system keeps track of streaming sources, and won't let you stream on 2 devices simultaneously. That doesn't mean you couldn't use your subscription on 2 devices... it would be similar to sharing your children post divorce..

e.g. Wife listens to Spotify on way to work... you listen on the way home. (or similar.)

Spotify does have a private credentials login, so you don't have to authenticate it with FaceBook, if you don't want to.

IMO - ZunePass is a better deal, since you can download tracks to your computer, stream on multiple sources simultaneously (e.g. WP7, Xbox, and your PC)... that said, you have an iPhone in the mix, and there's no Zune client for iPhone. Downloads from Zune Marketplace won't play on the iPhone, since they are DRM'ed. (unless you buy your tracks)

Hope that helps!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
ZunePass was a better deal back when they gave you free tracks every month. Now, I'd rather use Spotify which works better on multiple platforms.

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I just put the app on my Lumia and my Focus S and had them both playing at the same time. When I hit play on the second device the firs one paused. But once I hit play right up. Something happened when I hit play on the PC client. Does that mean it will work in the way I am tying to use it? I can't pay for two subs and I will not sub if I am the only once enjoying the music.

Also, what did you mean I can login with something other than FaceBook?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Does Spotify allow you to download music for free (admittedly DRM-laden), or just stream it? One of the great things about Zune is that I can put albums on my phone, plug my phone into the aux-in jack, and listen for hours on end without burning up my data plan.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't Spotify have an offline mode? You can download DRMed tracks to the phone and play them back later.

I think you need to have your wife make the switch from an iPhone to Windows Phone.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I just put the app on my Lumia and my Focus S and had them both playing at the same time. When I hit play on the second device the firs one paused. But once I hit play right up. Something happened when I hit play on the PC client. Does that mean it will work in the way I am tying to use it? I can't pay for two subs and I will not sub if I am the only once enjoying the music.

Also, what did you mean I can login with something other than FaceBook?

I can't promise you it will work the way you want. Spotify has security measures in place to prevent people from sharing a premium subscription and using it simultaneously on multiple devices. How effective their measures are, I'm not sure.

As far as logging in with Spotify credentials see this screen shot from the Spotify USA Home page:

spotify.jpg

You should be able to login to Spotify using the credentials you setup with your subscription/account, or have them sent to you :)

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Does Spotify allow you to download music for free (admittedly DRM-laden), or just stream it? One of the great things about Zune is that I can put albums on my phone, plug my phone into the aux-in jack, and listen for hours on end without burning up my data plan.

Spotify Premium (9.99 USD/Month) allows offline downloads, yes.

(mods: I didn't double post for a higher posting number... that question above came in while I was writing the other, and I've not mastered the art of multi quote on vBulletin yet; feel free to merge!)

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok upon further inspection of looks like it would get annoying the whole pausing thing. It pauses basically whenever a new track starts. So that means if we happen to both be using it at the sam time it will get old fast. Now, if I go premium we can make offline playlists just like what you are explaining with the Zune pass.

I wish I could have her make the switch but she lies her iPhone because of the games. She's a big Tap Tap fan. I don't mind as she has followed me on all my other OS switches and I cannot blame her for getting tired of it.

tbonecopper

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
You could always get 2 Spotify subscriptions, even a hybrid of premium (for offline downloads) and unlimited for unlimited streaming.

Or one for the Misses and a yearly Zune Pass for you (which is cheaper than 12 months @ 9.99)

eggdrop

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I see that both offer a free trial. I just got the 30 day Spotify trial activated and running on my Lumia. I have already made a playlist that I have stored locally and I will use this for the month and see how I like it. I will then activate the ZunePass for the 14 day trial and see how it compares.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Someone mentioned you can stream on multiple devices with Zune which is only partially TRUE. It can't be simultaneously either. You can stream on PC, phone Xbox but one at a time. I use Zune pass and cannot see myself without it anymore. Its easy to find whole albums on Zune whereas when I did Spotify premium for two months I had to add song by song if I wanted to avoid duplication. It was easy to add all Spotify songs to my Zune collection as I download songs via Xbox and sync my phone with it. SmartDJ in Zune is the most appealing feature! I've discovered so many songs and artists via that.

Sent from my HTC Titan Windows Phone

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely get a Zune Pass.

I cancelled my Spotify subscription yesterday after being subscribed for like two years.

Why? Their mobile apps are utter crap! For every system. WP app is probably the among the worst. Sound stutters often and makes annoying clicky noises. The app closes sometimes when playing new song and then it can take like 10 seconds to open again. It lags a lot. You can't fast forward/rewind. You can't sort playlists. Much of the music ain't high quality.

With a Zune Pass you get to use the Zune player in your phone which is 100 times better as a music player than Spotify ever will be. Their mobile apps are just crap and unstable. Not usable as music players.

When having 500+ songs in a playlist as I had in Spotify. There's no way I can find individual songs. All songs are listed as they were added. Try finding that in the list without any search/sorting options!

Last edited:

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I love Zune Pass for its "prettiness" with visuals on WP. Also its library is on par with Spotify, at least for the music I listen to which is rock, country, and classic rock and classic country.

But, I prefer Spotify for its multiplatform abilities since my work computer is a Mac, and my 2nd phone is an iPhone. I also like its integration with iTunes to import in my existing playlists as well as import my iTunes library for artists like AC/DC and Bob Seger who are not found on any streaming service.

Now for the downsides to both. I don't like how locked down Zune Pass is to just Microsoft stuff, I live in a cross platform world as many do and Zune Pass does not play nice with that. I also do not like the Zune PC software, I feel like they went for form over function there, its just not that fluid to use.

Spotify in the other hand has a very nice and useable interface, but their apps are garbage. I mean they are really bad to the point of unusable! The WP app is a little better than the iOS app but that's not saying much as the iOS app is a sick joke.

So after using both services quite a bit I still subscribe to Spotify and not to Zune Pass as the cross platform ability and its integration with my iTunes library and playlists beat out Zune Pass's visual appeal on WP.

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I love Zune Pass for its "prettiness" with visuals on WP. Also its library is on par with Spotify, at least for the music I listen to which is rock, country, and classic rock and classic country.

But, I prefer Spotify for its multiplatform abilities since my work computer is a Mac, and my 2nd phone is an iPhone. I also like its integration with iTunes to import in my existing playlists as well as import my iTunes library for artists like AC/DC and Bob Seger who are not found on any streaming service.

Now for the downsides to both. I don't like how locked down Zune Pass is to just Microsoft stuff, I live in a cross platform world as many do and Zune Pass does not play nice with that. I also do not like the Zune PC software, I feel like they went for form over function there, its just not that fluid to use.

Spotify in the other hand has a very nice and useable interface, but their apps are garbage. I mean they are really bad to the point of unusable! The WP app is a little better than the iOS app but that's not saying much as the iOS app is a sick joke.

So after using both services quite a bit I still subscribe to Spotify and not to Zune Pass as the cross platform ability and its integration with my iTunes library and playlists beat out Zune Pass's visual appeal on WP.

Sent from my HTC TITAN using Board Express

You're telling me you think iTunes is more fluid than the Zune software? I think I see pigs flying outside.

Also, by logging into Zune.net, you can stream songs through the website, overcoming the Mac problem.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if Zune would integrate better into social networks like Spotify it would be a no brainer. as it is right now i see it as a toss up. Zune is a better experience on WP7, but Spotify is more social.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You're telling me you think iTunes is more fluid than the Zune software? I think I see pigs flying outside.

Also, by logging into Zune.net, you can stream songs through the website, overcoming the Mac problem.

Yes, I think iTunes is easier to find and search through my owned library then Zune can. I'm not saying iTunes is better or worse, iTunes certainly has its flaws. I personally can work iTunes easier than I can Zune. It just seems more intuitive to me, perhaps because I've used it for years. But personally I also find Google Play's music locker easier to use too so I really don't think it's a deep rooted love for iTunes or anything, I just find the Zune interface cluttered and not as intuitive as other interfaces.

Yes, I can stream from the browser with Zune Pass. But not being able to download locally for offline playback is still an issue there for me.

Brunothesheep

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
eggdrop, I'd suggest getting your wife her own WP and signing up with Zune ;)

To be perfectly honest though, I found Spotify too clunky and unfinished, so I uninstalled it pretty much 10 minutes after installing it >.<

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa