Spotify or ZunePass

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
From what I hear, Spotify is good for finding all types of music and/or music from countries aside the U.S.. This girl came in to my store the other day and purchased a Photon 4G... she stated she used Spotify and that she found lots of artists she would never have thought to listen to.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's pretty much the bottom line.

Spotify has a extremely big library. Biggest of them all. But their mobile apps are utter crap.

Zune has not as big library. You get to use the Zune player though. That makes all the difference to me.

It was now about two weeks ago since I cancelled my Spotify subscription and got a Zune Pass instead. Boy am I glad I finally did it. Spotify will never be allowed on my WP nor Android phone again.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You're telling me you think iTunes is more fluid than the Zune software? I think I see pigs flying outside.

Also, by logging into Zune.net, you can stream songs through the website, overcoming the Mac problem.

iTunes is a fully fledged WMP replacement. Zune desktop software is rudimentary at best. That's what he meant. I prefer iTunes as well. It does more. I prefer WMP to both iTunes and Zune, though, since I prefer it's Win7 libraries integration and MTP support for other device types.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK - Spotify's system keeps track of streaming sources, and won't let you stream on 2 devices simultaneously. That doesn't mean you couldn't use your subscription on 2 devices... it would be similar to sharing your children post divorce..

e.g. Wife listens to Spotify on way to work... you listen on the way home. (or similar.)

Spotify does have a private credentials login, so you don't have to authenticate it with FaceBook, if you don't want to.

IMO - ZunePass is a better deal, since you can download tracks to your computer, stream on multiple sources simultaneously (e.g. WP7, Xbox, and your PC)... that said, you have an iPhone in the mix, and there's no Zune client for iPhone. Downloads from Zune Marketplace won't play on the iPhone, since they are DRM'ed. (unless you buy your tracks)

Hope that helps!

they will play if you buy them, just not for the subscription service, as you wouldnt really own the songs, just renting them.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
iTunes is a fully fledged WMP replacement. Zune desktop software is rudimentary at best. That's what he meant. I prefer iTunes as well. It does more. I prefer WMP to both iTunes and Zune, though, since I prefer it's Win7 libraries integration and MTP support for other device types.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

i never understood all the complaints about the zune desktop software? it is smooth as a babys slippery behind for me! itunes is a mess. i still use both since my wife has an iphone 4, and i dread having to sync her phone. all the files i delete from my pc, zune recognizes this and removes them from my library. itunes doesnt... it tells me the file is missing, and asks if i want to locate it? not too mention genius playlist is awful. smart dj on zune is amazing. last but definately not least... the UI of zune software is beautiful! itunes is extremely dated. and is completely bogged down for PC users. zune FTW

ZUNE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>itunes

not to turn this thread into a zune vs itunes debate, but had to shed some light on that comment... as far as spotify goes, i would use zune. but if it is imperative you are able to listen to music on both devices, consider rhapsody... as you would be able to listen to the music on both devices simotaniously... otherwise, convince her to get a wp... i am still working on my wife... once apollo hits, she will have a windows phone, gauranteed

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered Rhapsody? It's available on both platforms and also runs $10/mo. WP client doesn't have an offline mode, unfortunately. I don't know if it will let you stream to multiple devices simultaneously or not. I haven't used their service in probably 10 years so I don't know a lot about its current quality.

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've had a Zune pass for almost two years and has been the beat music decision I ever made. Zune desktop is awesome, and anyone who says different, hasn't taken the time yo learn the metro UI. The functionality of Zune pass on the phone is amazing, its great checking new album releases every Tuesday.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I signed up for Zune Pass 2 week trial yesterday. I like how I can make a playlist from the phone, but you can't remove tracks from the playlist either from the phone or the pc (unless I'm doing something wrong). Other than that, I've found about 80% of what I'm looking for. I'm a huge early 90's raver from the old skool and hip hop from the early 80's among other randomness.

Can't find some stuff. Also, some tracks from Movie Soundtracks I can't find like the Drowning Pool track from Scorpion King or the Art of Noise version of Kiss with Tom Jones.

Yeah, I've got some REALLY random tastes in music. Maybe I'll check out Spotify, but I really don't want yet another subscription. I kinda like this Zune thing so far.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for Zune Pass 2 week trial yesterday. I like how I can make a playlist from the phone, but you can't remove tracks from the playlist either from the phone or the pc (unless I'm doing something wrong). Other than that, I've found about 80% of what I'm looking for. I'm a huge early 90's raver from the old skool and hip hop from the early 80's among other randomness.

Can't find some stuff. Also, some tracks from Movie Soundtracks I can't find like the Drowning Pool track from Scorpion King or the Art of Noise version of Kiss with Tom Jones.

Yeah, I've got some REALLY random tastes in music. Maybe I'll check out Spotify, but I really don't want yet another subscription. I kinda like this Zune thing so far.

if you create the playlist from your pc, you can add/remove songs all you want.

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
if you create the playlist from your pc, you can add/remove songs all you want.

I tried to do that and it wouldn't let me. Then again, I'm using my roommate's WinXP machine, so I don't know if the interface is somewhat different on Windows 7. I just couldn't figure it out. Tried right clicking and all that other normal stuff. I'll take another look.

Guess I'm going to break down and build another pc. It's been kinda nice without. Last one I built, I spent over $4 grand on. Need to cool it this time. :blush:

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Zune is peerless: Its combination of online and offline features is not available elsewhere, at any price.

But, for you, it's a moot question.

You don't have a dilemma; your wife has a barrier. Zune is better in a number of ways, but she cannot use it on her phone, and given the limits you've set for yourself, you have to go with Spotify or another "premium" service.

You both can listen to a Spotify-Premium playlist (only), offline, but you have to toggle the spotify apps to offline mode, and then stay off. After you agree on a given playlist, you'll both be able to play it offline. Being in offline mode, neither of you will be able to also tap the online features that you're paying for.

I listen to my entire Zune Collection offline and can still tap the Marketplace for Smart DJing an artist, or for Bing-listen-searching-and-downloading tracks or albums, or doing any streaming. I go back and forth, dynamically and seamlessly.

Both services limit streaming to a single device/account/ID at any point in time.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
i never understood all the complaints about the zune desktop software? it is smooth as a babys slippery behind for me! itunes is a mess. i still use both since my wife has an iphone 4, and i dread having to sync her phone. all the files i delete from my pc, zune recognizes this and removes them from my library. itunes doesnt... it tells me the file is missing, and asks if i want to locate it? not too mention genius playlist is awful. smart dj on zune is amazing. last but definately not least... the UI of zune software is beautiful! itunes is extremely dated. and is completely bogged down for PC users. zune FTW

ZUNE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>itunes

not to turn this thread into a zune vs itunes debate, but had to shed some light on that comment... as far as spotify goes, i would use zune. but if it is imperative you are able to listen to music on both devices, consider rhapsody... as you would be able to listen to the music on both devices simotaniously... otherwise, convince her to get a wp... i am still working on my wife... once apollo hits, she will have a windows phone, gauranteed
No Equalizer in Zune. Cannot Speed up/Slow down tracks or video playback the way you can in WMP or QuickTime. iTunesDJ/Genius. iTunes supports Internet Radio Stations, Zune doesn't.

Zune is barebones compared to WMP or iTunes. I only use it for updating my phone, and then I uninstall it.

iTunes is extremely dated... I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. My PC runs fine with iTunes and 3 MMORPG clients loaded in the background, in addition to IE9 opened with 5 tabs O.O

iTunes tends to play audio back at a better quality than Zune and WMP (WMP you can probably increase the quality since you have an EQ, Zune you're stuck with what it outputs) which is more important than how it looks, anyways...

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it has changed or not, but I had a Spotify sub for one month. As soon as I realized that I couldn't pick a band and have it play similar music on the mobile app, I cancelled it. I very rarely use my zune pass for downloading whole albums, but I am constantly using it for SmartDJ.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077