New to WP7... Question regarding IE displays different brightness?

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am new to the WP7 game and just picked up a Lumia 900 the other day. One thing that is driving me crazy is how IE is rendering colors while browsing... I will try to explain it the best way I can.

For example, when I load up WPCentral while its loading it looks bright, vibrant and simply amazing on the screen. The blues are blue, the greens are green and the whites especially in the logo are white... then just as the page finishes loading its almost like a grey overlay happens and everything dulls out. I can't explain it, its almost as if when the page is finished loading a secondary brightness kicks in and overlays the entire site. I see this with every page and site I load. I even created a fake page with some specific colors on it and took a picture while the page was loading and then another when the page was done loading and all the colors were completely different from loading to being fully loaded.

Whats even stranger is when I bring up WPCentral, while loading it looks awesome, fully loaded it gets a grey overlay (I know this is not happening, just visually what happens)... but then when I click settings down at the bottom, the website goes back to vibrant, then I close settings and it goes back to dull... wtf?

Is this a setting in the phone? I have it to auto brightness to OFF and brightness control to high.

I recently test drove a Samsung Note and it did something very similar but it had two different brightness settings, one for the phone and one for the browser.

I enjoy this phone a lot, but this "glitch" is really annoying, this can't be how the browser works is it? It really is just that annoying that I would be tempted to take it back and go to my old phone again... I hope someone can shine some light on this issue. Thanks in advance!

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like there's an ad loading that greys out the page. You need to find the ad and close it...they don't always render right on IE9.

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like there's an ad loading that greys out the page. You need to find the ad and close it...they don't always render right on IE9.

It seems to be doing this on every site I go to... even the test page I created in simple HTML.

Try this, go to a site with some color and whites, then let the page fully load. Once loaded click settings at the bottom, watch the site get bright and vibrant, then close settings and watch it dull out slightly, then open settings again, it turns bright... you will notice it dulls out for some reason on every site once the page is fully loaded. I understand you can't see the whole site when settings is opened, but it does leave a portion at the top visible.

If this is honestly how the browser renders pages how are more people not saying something about this? This is annoying as ****.

Last edited:

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be doing this on every site I go to... even the test page I created in simple HTML.

Try this, go to a site with some color and whites, then let the page fully load. Once loaded click settings at the bottom, watch the site get bright and vibrant, then close settings and watch it dull out slightly, then open settings again, it turns bright... you will notice it dulls out for some reason on every site once the page is fully loaded. I understand you can't see the whole site when settings is opened, but it does leave a portion at the top visible.

If this is honestly how the browser renders pages how are more people not saying something about this? This is annoying as ****.

Go to Settings (main)> Brightenss and switch off Auto. Manually select to the level you like. Beware, this will afect the battery life. Hope this is the issue that you are experincing

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

Go to Settings (main)> Brightenss and switch off Auto. Manually select to the level you like. Beware, this will afect the battery life. Hope this is the issue that you are experincing

I have done this, not worried about battery life right now. If you read my post I state that I have done this and you would read that its happening after the page loads. My brightness is auto-brightness = OFF and brightness is manually set to HIGH. I don't have an issue with any apps, os or anything like that... its simply when I am using the web that I notice this issue. Can anyone just open WPCentral full site, notice colors (look strictly at the logo) while its loading, then after it loads you will notice it dulls out slightly... then while looking at that logo still, click settings... notice a difference? Then close settings, then open it again... see the issue?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't see anything like that on my HD7, only time I see something like that is when an Ajax ad or pop over appears,once I find it and close it everything is back to normal.

it's not IE9, its any browser, those hovers do not know how to behave on touch based devices. Especially on smaller screens.

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't see anything like that on my HD7, only time I see something like that is when an Ajax ad or pop over appears,once I find it and close it everything is back to normal.

it's not IE9, its any browser, those hovers do not know how to behave on touch based devices. Especially on smaller screens.

I am obviously not explaining it very well, just went into ATT store and see it on 2 other devices running WP7... even showed ATT rep and he was like "Hmm... never noticed that before." so I know I am not crazy.

I will try to take a good picture of page loading and not loading... because the responses keep stating it has something to do with hovers and ajax, did you read the part where I explain how to make this happen? Did you even try it? Did you read the part where I created a basic HTML page of colors and was able to recreate the same issue? Obviously the page "dulling" out after page load doesn't bother anyone else except me :)

Siah1214

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You're the only person that experiences this error. I wathced very closely as 5 different pages loaded, the only ones that changed at all were ones that had pop up ads.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually...I missed the part where you said to open up settings (the ... at the bottom of the screen) and I see it now. It is like the screen is dimming when you close settings. Mine doesn't show up during page load, only when settings or the keyboard is opened up and closed.

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually...I missed the part where you said to open up settings (the ... at the bottom of the screen) and I see it now. It is like the screen is dimming when you close settings.

Thank you! Yes, its crazy huh? I bet you will notice it now every time (sorry for that if you didn't notice it before :) ).

Page loading = Page is awesome looking
page fully loaded = slightly dims (its not an ad, it happens everywhere on every site)

Not sure if it happens on every device, but my lumia 900 is definitely doing it and so where the demo models in the store and a couple other devices they had there.

Its driving me crazy!

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually...I missed the part where you said to open up settings (the ... at the bottom of the screen) and I see it now. It is like the screen is dimming when you close settings. Mine doesn't show up during page load, only when settings or the keyboard is opened up and closed.

You say yours doesn't do it while the page is loading... so the page is just slightly dim during page loading and full page loaded? And when you open the keyboard or settings the page goes bright? Then when you close the settings or keyboard it goes dim again?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
First, thanks to the OP for giving specific examples that others can try/test and make responses meaningful. I don't see these effects on my Super AMOLED Focus. It's not an OS or browser issue as such, although it can be how either, or related software or hardware, is working on the Lumia. This thread/question may prove more productive on the Lumia forum which is pretty active. Best of luck getting past this.

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
First, thanks to the OP for giving specific examples that others can try/test and make responses meaningful. I don't see these effects on my Super AMOLED Focus. It's not an OS or browser issue as such, although it can be how either, or related software or hardware, is working on the Lumia. This thread/question may prove more productive on the Lumia forum which is pretty active. Best of luck getting past this.

How do I move this without just re-posting it? Thanks.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
You say yours doesn't do it while the page is loading... so the page is just slightly dim during page loading and full page loaded? And when you open the keyboard or settings the page goes bright? Then when you close the settings or keyboard it goes dim again?

Correct...it is dim and only gets bright when I open settings or keyboard. I had noticed it before, so no worries there. It just didn't register that that was what you were talking about until I saw it again. Maybe it is just a 900 thing that can hopefully be fixed with an update.

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Correct...it is dim and only gets bright when I open settings or keyboard. I had noticed it before, so no worries there. It just didn't register that that was what you were talking about until I saw it again. Maybe it is just a 900 thing that can hopefully be fixed with an update.

Thank you for the update... doesn't it seem strange it does this at all? I guess I am just new to WP7, but this seems like a pretty funky thing to have happen, wouldn't you want to see the webpage fully bright as if they keyboard or settings option was open all the time? It just seems to me that the browser is not correctly rendering the pages if its adding a "dimming" effect to the page. In your case it shouldn't brighten the page when the keyboard or settings are open, it should just be that way all the time.

I understand it may be trying to save battery and so on, but just seems odd that there is no override, I am just stuck with a device that renders colors slightly dim while browsing :)

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser? I use SurfCube and I see no dimness. The only time I've detected any dimming is when I'm in the phone's Settings menus. After I make a change, I'll sometimes notice an almost imperseptible change in the screen's brightness. It's almost as if there's a slight voltage drop.

Haven't noticed it while browsing, though honestly I rarely use the browser to access content. I prefer to use apps whenever I can.

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
"it is dim and only gets bright when I open settings or keyboard."

That right there would bother the heck out of me, so you really only fully experience the vibrance of a website when the keyboard or settings are open. Seems like a glitch to me :)

thanks again for your replies :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)