New to WP7... Question regarding IE displays different brightness?

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I agree. I never noticed it on my Trophy, so I'm thinking it is a 900 thing. It isn't really a big deal for me, but I would prefer that the phone stayed the same brightness all the time. Either stay bright or stay dim, that bothers me more than the pages being dim. :)

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser? I use SurfCube and I see no dimness. The only time I've detected any dimming is when I'm in the phone's Settings menus. After I make a change, I'll sometimes notice an almost imperseptible change in the screen's brightness. It's almost as if there's a slight voltage drop.

Haven't noticed it while browsing, though honestly I rarely use the browser to access content. I prefer to use apps whenever I can.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just downloaded the free version of SurfCube and notice the exact same issue.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
How do I move this without just re-posting it? Thanks.

As with all these fora, an administrator here would have to see this, agree, and then do it. Between you and I, I'd go ahead and re-post an edited version includng what you've tried already. I have "re-posted" once or twice.

Last edited:

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed this on my brand new Lumia 900 and it's bugging me. The rest of the phone seems awesome, but when I open up the browser, or even change the dark black to white on my tile background, the white looks extremely dimmed out, and the browser goes from bright (when you press the menu) to much lower... what the heck is going on? should i have my phone replaced?

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed this on my brand new Lumia 900 and it's bugging me. The rest of the phone seems awesome, but when I open up the browser, or even change the dark black to white on my tile background, the white looks extremely dimmed out, and the browser goes from bright (when you press the menu) to much lower... what the heck is going on? should i have my phone replaced?
Issue is not present on the htc Titan 2, just tested it in store... Also all 4 demo models of the 900 in store all did the same thing. Pretty dumb... The htc Titan 2 looked much better because it didn't "dim" upon page load like the 900 does. I ended up taking the 900 back and swapped it for the Titan 2, much happier now.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if all Lumia 900 users are experiencing this problem.. I also notice it when opening the Xbox Live application. Anything that is white looks dull and dark.. nothing looks vibrant

mrwizard#WP

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
The screen is dimming itself based on the percentage of white pixels on the screen (a sneaky way to improve battery life). This is not to be confused with auto-brightness which dims the screen based on the ambient light sensor.

The Focus and Focus S did the same exact thing, except that on the Focus S, Samsung modified WP7 to include an extra settings field called auto display intensity that allowed you to disable it (Nokia did not include this feature). Nokia is using Samsung AMOLED panels so naturally this "feature" is included in the firmware on all Lumia 900 displays.

You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBMc9qNaT8c&feature=player_embedded#t=3m59s

Last edited:

g2design

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The screen is dimming itself based on the percentage of white pixels on the screen (a sneaky way to improve battery life). This is not to be confused with auto-brightness which dims the screen based on the ambient light sensor.

The Focus and Focus S did the same exact thing, except that on the Focus S, Samsung modified WP7 to include an extra settings field called auto display intensity that allowed you to disable it (Nokia did not include this feature). Nokia is using Samsung AMOLED panels so naturally this "feature" is included in the firmware on all Lumia 900 displays.

You can see it in action here: Nokia Lumia 900 Review Part 2 - YouTube

It's just unfortunate and annoying. Glad I switched it out for the Titan 2, seems much better overall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss