Android has Metro envy?

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
No one ever said that metro is not a beautiful ui..

Just severely limited and missing basic functionality and apps.

It'll improve eventually I hope, them I bet a lot of those users will actually make the switch.

That is one of the awesome things about Android though, you can make it look however you want

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
No one ever said that metro is not a beautiful ui..

Just severely limited and missing basic functionality and apps.

It'll improve eventually I hope, them I bet a lot of those users will actually make the switch.

That is one of the awesome things about Android though, you can make it look however you want

I don't buy the SEVERELY limited part. Limited in some ways, but not SEVERELY limited. Or else I don't think we'd be here talking about it. Yeah, less functional than an Android and iOS, but not that much. I just came from those sides, hacks and all. Yeah, android offers some cool features and flexibility as far as customization and stuff, but the cost is stability and battery life from my experience. iOS offers great stability, but ugly battery life on iOS 5. Others experience may differ of course so I can only speak for myself.

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
"Missing basic functionality and apps"? What are you talking about? If your Android crashes because of too much customization and you can't call someone, that's missing basic functionality.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
"Missing basic functionality and apps"? What are you talking about? If your Android crashes because of too much customization and you can't call someone, that's missing basic functionality.

it's sad you guys have to make up stuff to make yourself feel better about your failing os....

I have had plenty of android phones and this has NEVER happened to me. I own an sgs2 skyrocket now and it never crashes, freezes, reboots or any of the other crap you guys make up to make yourself feel better.

Also the battery life is better than it was on my quantum or optimus 7, and is considerably more powerful with a much larger screen.

There is a LOT missing in the os, it's undeniable really. If you can honestly say that being unable to change seperate volumes or even have a forward button in your browser isn't lacking basic features, then I would say you're in denial...

I found the metro ui extremely beautiful and smooth, but there were things that just kept me from being able to stick with it. I check here frequently for news of updates since I did like the ui. Once some of that stuff is rectified, and hopefully if it ever builds some steam and gets some decent apps, I would consider coming back.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Then I hope they hurry up with that Instagram app. The platform simply can't survive without you.

it's barely surviving at all actually....

Hate all you like.

It's funny any valid point about what the os should look into fixing gets flamed around here. Then people wonder why the os isn't expanding like they hoped for.

Derp derp

gregoron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
You can always install Launcher in your droid. BTW, who's on denial about problems with their UI. Just cause you didn't have any problems with your droid doesn't mean others did not. No UI is perfect.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Barely surviving or just getting warm? Everyone has humble beginnings. Apple wasn't an instant success. I got laughed at when I had the first iPhone. Now every other person or more has one. Its good to see another OS trying to make a valid major push in America. But the problem is less on the OS and more in the perception and preconceived notions. People equate the windows name as in being the same as windows desktops. Then people run the name through the dirt without giving it a fair shake. My coworker is a very technically sound guy and he's totally against anything Microsoft driven. But if you masked the name and the company an say someone else made it then I'm betting it wouldn't get so much bad press. That's just my opinion on it. But companies aren't doing much to welcome a valid competitor. That's cool though. Early bird's get the worm. Apple is eating pretty good. Especially after they sue everyone lol.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Barely surviving or just getting warm? Everyone has humble beginnings. Apple wasn't an instant success. I got laughed at when I had the first iPhone. Now every other person or more has one. Its good to see another OS trying to make a valid major push in America. But the problem is less on the OS and more in the perception and preconceived notions. People equate the windows name as in being the same as windows desktops. Then people run the name through the dirt without giving it a fair shake. My coworker is a very technically sound guy and he's totally against anything Microsoft driven. But if you masked the name and the company an say someone else made it then I'm betting it wouldn't get so much bad press. That's just my opinion on it. But companies aren't doing much to welcome a valid competitor. That's cool though. Early bird's get the worm. Apple is eating pretty good. Especially after they sue everyone lol.

Whichever way you look at it, I don't make up bs about the os to feel superior.

I like the ui, I just didn't like the basic functions that were missing. I hope it does succeed, I would love to jump back onboard.

Hopefully wp8 will really reinvent things. As it stands now it has actually been losing market share, which isn't a fantastic sign.

It's been around two years now, just getting warm is pretty hopeful

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
No you didn't. Everyone wanted an iPhone from day one, with lines around city blocks for a product no one had ever used before.

Yes, I am glad you know my experience better than I do. Thanks for being there for me! No, but really, when I bought the phone, there wasn't people in line getting the first iphone. A few friends of mine kinda balked at the idea of a touch screen phone and whatnot. Then the next iphone dropped, and they were in line with me to get that one as well.

Oh, and djdtox, sorry to say, but I've only used Android for a year, from Samsung, HTC, and Motorola and they have all at some point rebooted, froze, force closed programs etc. You are part of the percentage that hasn't had that many issues and that's great. I'm happy for ya! I've swapped phone numerous time hoping for a phone that would simply just work. I'll say this. HTC phone have treated me the best when it came do androids. Droid Inc 2 and Rezound. Both great phones. Main reason I am on the WP7 train is because I'm simply bored of the way android/iOS get info and stuff. My Rezound was actually REALLY good and treated me right for the most part. WP7 mainly does the whole "information at your fingertips" thing a bit better in my opinion. But yup, it will be better with Apollo. Whether the masses or the few like it I'm probably going to be there with it as long as it keeps on doing what its doing. Staying fresh and keeping up the improvements.

One thing that always makes me chuckle about forums is how both side of an argument can come off so elitist, when mostly they aren't They are just at the other end of a debate.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am glad you know my experience better than I do. Thanks for being there for me! No, but really, when I bought the phone, there wasn't people in line getting the first iphone. A few friends of mine kinda balked at the idea of a touch screen phone and whatnot. Then the next iphone dropped, and they were in line with me to get that one as well.

Oh, and djdtox, sorry to say, but I've only used Android for a year, from Samsung, HTC, and Motorola and they have all at some point rebooted, froze, force closed programs etc. You are part of the percentage that hasn't had that many issues and that's great. I'm happy for ya! I've swapped phone numerous time hoping for a phone that would simply just work. I'll say this. HTC phone have treated me the best when it came do androids. Droid Inc 2 and Rezound. Both great phones. Main reason I am on the WP7 train is because I'm simply bored of the way android/iOS get info and stuff. My Rezound was actually REALLY good and treated me right for the most part. WP7 mainly does the whole "information at your fingertips" thing a bit better in my opinion. But yup, it will be better with Apollo. Whether the masses or the few like it I'm probably going to be there with it as long as it keeps on doing what its doing. Staying fresh and keeping up the improvements.

One thing that always makes me chuckle about forums is how both side of an argument can come off so elitist, when mostly they aren't They are just at the other end of a debate.

See this is the kind of response i can appreciate. Articulate, well written and not coming across like a douche.

I agree as far as the social aspect of telephones (social networking, etcc), wp7 has got it going on. Also the design aspect is beautiful. I hated the lack of notifications though as I'm an engineer and can't constantly be on my phone, I'm usually too swamped with work. I found it a pain to see what I missed.

There are things I miss about it sure, but when I was on it there were also things I missed about android.

One thing I will say though, i you buy an ultra cheap android phone, of course you can expect terrible performance. Any of the top end ones do not have the issues people describe. I actually love my skyrocket, with ics is is smooth as butter.

A combo of the two would knock my socks off hahaha

winandro7?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
See this is the kind of response i can appreciate. Articulate, well written and not coming across like a douche.

I agree as far as the social aspect of telephones (social networking, etcc), wp7 has got it going on. Also the design aspect is beautiful. I hated the lack of notifications though as I'm an engineer and can't constantly be on my phone, I'm usually too swamped with work. I found it a pain to see what I missed.

There are things I miss about it sure, but when I was on it there were also things I missed about android.

One thing I will say though, i you buy an ultra cheap android phone, of course you can expect terrible performance. Any of the top end ones do not have the issues people describe. I actually love my skyrocket, with ics is is smooth as butter.

A combo of the two would knock my socks off hahaha

winandro7?

Heh, windandro would be something of a beast, but I don't think that would ever happen. Competition is what these companies/manufacturers thrive on. Would be nice to be able to customize tiles though. Like really, give me a color palette and let me play!

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Heh, windandro would be something of a beast, but I don't think that would ever happen. Competition is what these companies/manufacturers thrive on. Would be nice to be able to customize tiles though. Like really, give me a color palette and let me play!

totally man, be able to customize each tiles colour, instead of just one colour scheme.

Even that alone would make such a huge difference

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You can always install Launcher in your droid. BTW, who's on denial about problems with their UI. Just cause you didn't have any problems with your droid doesn't mean others did not. No UI is perfect.

On the flip side, just cause you think Metro is beautiful doesn't mean everyone does, but that's obvious isn't it?

Issue I have with Metro is while it can theoretically be beautiful, the amount of screen real estate this UI metaphor absolutely puts to waste makes it anything but. Yes, it's quite usable and I don't think it's ugly. It just destroys my productivity and it destroys the efficiency at which I can get information "at a glance." I use my devices for content consumption. Metro makes 20-30% of my screen useless and in some cases makes the screen narrower than it would be on other devices due to the way it does side to side scrolling. This has the side effect of having to cram in the same information in both shorter and narrower screen real estate. The Facebook App is a perfect example of this, as is the People Hub. Problem is compounded by the bar at the bottom taking up even more, but I am forgiving that since it often has frequent functions exposed there (sometimes, not really).

People Hub (esp bad for contact list and Social Feed)
Music/Video Hub (Albulm/Song List)
eMail Client (Mail List)
Messages (Conversation List)
Marketplace (in a ton of places)
XBox Live Hub
Me Hub
Pictures Hub Main Section (esp bad for "Whats New")
Microsoft Facebook App
Microsoft Windows Phone Insider App
Office Hub (this uses Tiles, so it's even worse than many of the others as a result of that)

All waste 20-30% of my screen real estate by default. I've tried to not mention any third party apps (apps not developed or contracted out by Microsoft), but you can see how this gets annoying. You go from getting a screen full of information to getting in some cases half the amount of information per screen than on other platforms.

It's a huge PITA, especially since you can't do like an Android users would do and just buy a phone with a bigger screen. All the phones have the same screen resolution, so even if you hvae a 3.7" screen WP7 device you still see the same exact picture as someone on a 4.5" screen, they just see a bigger picture which makes it doubly frustrating (big picture with a text snippet in the facebook app that sometimes isn't even big enough to house one full status update/posting in that app). In Android ecosystem big screen usually come coupled with high screen resolutions so you gain the benefit of a higher screen resolution on a bigger screen that can show more information than a small screen/lower screen rez running the exact same app.

There's literally no way around this handicap of the platform (using that term loosely).

Choice is great when it comes with obvious benefits. All WP7 devices running the same specs with similar hardware... There aren't really any huge benefits to upgrading even off of a 1st gen phone to a Lumia 800/900 TBQH outside of the FFC few people use, anyways (1st gen phones run fine for the most part). In Android there are obvious benefits that you can see without even touching the phone that affect the user experience in a positive way. Not the case with WP7.

And I'm still not going with Android when my contract is up soon, but I'm definitely moving away from the Microsoft ecosystem once I upgrade my smartphone and later my PC (Metro in W8 has the same issues it has in WP7, I can't deal with it especially on a non-touch desktop but I'll make sure to buy a copy of Win7 before it stops getting sold for when I build my next gaming PC).

Windows phones have frozen, rebooted, and apps crash on this platform as well. Those issues aren't unique to Android. My iTouch froze on me once and I had to let the battery completely drain cause I couldn't even use the two button method to reset it. That's part of the reason why many people won't even consider a smartphone without a removeable battery (it's not just to battery swap in the middle of the day).

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

The iPhone was an instant success, and Android was pretty big 1.5 years after it's release. WP7's almost lack of traction is an issue that was not experience by other platforms that grew to become successful (Android, iOS, BB, or even WinMo had more traction than this platform has by this point in their development).

Not sure what you mean running here without giving it a fair shake since most people who comment on the platform here have owned and used WP7 devices for non-trivial lengths of time before moving on. Even when they have one, another excuse is pulled out to explain why their "not positive" review or outlook for the platform should be ignored.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
N8ter....U mad bro? I mean, you can save yourself more anguish and just.....leave? I mean, no one is forcing you to us a WP. Are you bored? Are you just trying to be a hard debater? I don't know, maybe it's just me but it's seems that people liking WP makes your angry. I don't know, just throwing that out there. Do what makes you happy bro. And if wasting your time on a long drawn out post makes you happy....well enjoy! I;m not mad at ya buddy!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you're the one mad.

You addressed absolutely nothing in my post. Nothing about the wasted screen real estate and the lack of higher resolutions on bigger screens to give a superior user experience to those bigger devices.

On top of that you stated blatant untruths in your posts.

Why don't you try to address the content in my posts instead of trolling and trying to attack me personally under the radar?

Who is forcing you to read or respond to it, anyways?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05