WP7 noob - WP feature question

sundown28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Guys - apologize for wasting bandwidth here, but I've searching and can't find the answer to my question. The last time I had any dealings with anything Microsoft mobile-ish was PocketPC 2002 - so I'm still coming up to speed. Most recently, I'm coming from Android, and I seriously valued the ability to voice-to-text "type" an email. I know WP7 has the capability to do this with SMS (mic icon while authoring) - but I see no such icon while authoring an outlook or gmail-based email. Have I missed it?

Thanks for helping the new guy. Love the efficiency of this phone - and it's "enterprise" look and feel...

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Never a waste - this has been one of the friendliest and most helpful forums I've been to in years, and you'll find answers.

Unless somebody else corrects me, no, WP7 does not include general dictation features like I think are in Android. You've spotted the basics - SMS dictation, hold the Windows button for voice command - but that's about it.

sundown28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Afraid that was going to be the response. Ah well, the loss of one feature I've grown dependant upon is worth it. I've "grown out of" my time of loading different ROMs to get the features I want in a phone. A few days with the phone at it hasn't randomly stopped getting emails from 3 different sources. It doesn't lock when trying to answer a call. I don't have to charge is twice a day before I get home. It.simply.works.

If the ONLY thing that's missing from 7.5 is voice-to-text emails, I'll take it...

Thanks for the kind response.

bellyer1

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This could potentially be some kind of workaround, but you could always try doing the speech to text in an SMS, then copy/paste the text into an e-mail. I personally am not a fan of the voice to text feature in any phone, as I feel too disconnected from the actual text and worry that my grammar or word choices might not come through perfectly in voice to text. I also love the keyboard in Windows Phone and have a fair amount of faith in the auto-correct feature when thumb typing. However, I did just try speaking an SMS and copy/pasting to an e-mail and it seems to work just fine, though it adds a couple extra steps. I'm not sure if this would be something that you would care to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett